Quick OnX question

Finch

WKR
I'll be hunting solo in a couple days while the family is back at camp. I downloaded OnX on my wife's phone and downloaded offline maps. She'll have the ability to open the app and hopefully see my waypoints and tracks. Then I got to thinking. If I have the tracker feature running and she opens the app, will it pinpoint her location and screw my track up?I'm doing this for safety and peace of mind purposes.

Would her turning off her GPS prevent any conflict? I just thought of something else but I guess I'd have to have cell service for even my waypoints and tracks to be visible to her, right?

This might not work after all.

CJohnson

WKR
If you don't have cell service and you are using offline maps, I don't think your wife will be able to see anything. I'm also not sure how it works using OnX on two different devices with the same account info.

Not sure if you're interested in getting an InReach, but it does have this capability. You can send your wife a link to their mapping website and she can follow along with your track. You can also turn that capability off in the field if your battery gets low, you're worried about your wife sharing your honey-hole on internet forums, or you want to make a quick pit stop at the bar on your way back.

stonewall

WKR
her having the app won't interfere with you running tracker...I did this just yesterday without a problem. however, as stated above, you'll need cell service for the waypoints to make their way over to her. while you're in offline mode, the waypoints and tracker are on your phone only. it will upload to your web account (and her phone) when you have service

if you have no service, the inreach is the best option...i'd get one just for the peace of mind

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
her having the app won't interfere with you running tracker...I did this just yesterday without a problem. however, as stated above, you'll need cell service for the waypoints to make their way over to her. while you're in offline mode, the waypoints and tracker are on your phone only. it will upload to your web account (and her phone) when you have service

if you have no service, the inreach is the best option...i'd get one just for the peace of mind

Thanks. Too late for inreach and I usually have service here and there on the mountain. Wish me luck.

stonewall

WKR
Thanks. Too late for inreach and I usually have service here and there on the mountain. Wish me luck.
Should be good. Maybe text her periodically when you have service to verify if she’s getting the waypoints. Or text screen shots even. Hope you get it done. Elk?

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Should be good. Maybe text her periodically when you have service to verify if she’s getting the waypoints. Or text screen shots even. Hope you get it done. Elk?

Yes sir, elk. I'm hoping there will be on fire when we arrive tomorrow.