Quick Question

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I want to stay under $500 and a max of 500yds. Furthest I can practice is 300yds so 500 might be pushing it. It has been 12 years since I last thought about rifle hunting, so to start I'll limit myself to 350 but would like to extend that without having to make a change.

Matt, you have any knowledge of this model Sako? I haven't seen anything neg other then die-hard sako guys saying Beretta is ruining Sako and that spare mags are $$. I like the 5 shot 1" guarantee and it feels like a high quality item and fit and finish looked better then both savage and tika.

I haven't shot that Sako, but Tikka's are nice, and the Sako should be better as far as fit and finish goes.

Out to 500, any basic BDC reticle will work well. Vortex' Dead Hold BDC is my favorite traditional BDC (uneven drop hashes that match up to aspproximate ranges), as it is easy to get your exact drops with the even 1/2 moa subtensions. the Meopta Meopro scope I have has their BDC, and it is one of the generic BDC styles, so it would take a little more work, but once you had it figured out it would do also. My favorite ballistic reticle overall is Swaro's BRH (not really a BDC, but more of a general "christmas tree" reticle), but it isn't available in your price range.

I think a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10X44 w/ Dead Hold BDC or a Meopta Meopro 3-9X40 w/ BDC would be the best choices for you. Both are subtended at max magnification. The Meopro is better optically, as it is on par with the Swaro Z3 series, while the Vortex offers their awesome warranty and better dials. Both have constant eye relief, which is really nice for a consistent cheek weld.

Dave's recommendation on the Rapid Z conquest is a good one. The optical performance of that scope line is similar to the Meopro. I had a rapid Z600 3-9X40, and I made a few "extended" kills with it, but I like reticles subtended at max magnification better than finding the "tuned" magnification of the Rapid Z in the field.

As far as ammo goes, I would try a few different loads to find the one your rifle shoots the best. To add to Dave's recommendations, also look at Barnes Vort-X. Barnes bullets are great performers, in my experience.

Shrek

WKR
Another thing about ammo for a 30/06 is that it is the intended loading for all the standard 30 cal bullets. You do not need a super tough bonded bullet for an '06. All of the much less expensive standard bullets will work like a charm in an '06.

A better idea for your ammo is to find a friend who handloads and get them to build you a dialed in custom load. An older retired guy who likes to load and shoot might take on building you a load if you buy the components. A retiree on a tight budget might like to load and shoot on your dime . Just an idea to find a really tight shooting load. Might find that guy at the local shooting club / range.

bbrown

WKR
I can't tell you what your gun will like but I can tell you what I would never shoot , winchester supreme or any other coated bullet.

Dave - care to explain this? Does it foul the barrel or something? My 300 win mag really likes the Win XP3s or Accubond which are both coated.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I also dislike coated bullets, expecially the "lubalox" or whatever Winchester ammo uses. That crap is hard to get out of a barrel, and traps other types of fouling. Stuff just about ruined a Savage I had about 6 or 7 years ago.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The HD5 look great. I just don't know why they wouldn't have some sort of windage reticle available with their zero-stop target knob option.

I haven't spent time with the Minox, but people seem to like them. I think maybe Luke Moffat had one?

ckleeves

WKR
Thanks Dave and Matt, what do you think of the Mo.ox ZA-5 2-10x40 with either BDC or XR-BDC, cameraland has these on demo for $299. I'll probably wait and see what demos strap to show up now that shot is over.

I'm also interested in the conquest hd5's and I think this would also fit the budget in a demo.

My dad just bought one of those demo minox and it seems very nice. Tracks accurately and in low light seems about the same as a conquest. Seems like a great scope for the money. I have a za 4-20x50 that's been a good scope also.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Talked with Doug at cameralandny and the shot show demos should show up in a week or so, he does have 1 scope I'm interested in at a killer price not listed that is very tempting.

Shrek

WKR
Bbrown , just one shot fouls a barrel permanently. You can clean until the cows come home and the barrel will still be fouled. You can get most of it out with nonembedding adrasives but you are grinding the barrel and ruining it that way. If you shoot them already you will never know what your barrel could have done. I don't know how olin gets away with selling that snake oil.

Shrek

WKR
Dotman , I have been using the burris signature select with the inserts for the last few years and really like them. Hold well and don't mark the scope . Signature zee rings are the weaver style bases. Tally lightweight rings are top quality and light. Pass on anything by millet.

bbrown

WKR
Dave - had not heard that before thanks for the info. When I clean it (just you basic scrub and swab) the barrel all ways seems to come clean but that is to the naked eye. It still shoots decent groups.
Does hornady use the same coatings? The 58 gr loads have something similar but not as thick for my 243 shoot great and sure put a hurt on those yotes. Hornady calls theirs Moly while Winchester calls theirs Lubolox(sp?).

bbrown

WKR
Never mind - found hornady makes the superformance with 58 grainers without the coating. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Well decide to save up a little while longer and get either the swaro z3 or Zeiss conquest hd5. So much for staying under $500 bit I think I'll be happier with either of these. Doug at cameraland think the hd5 will kill swaro z5 sales. Sure would like to see some reviews on the hd5, guessing the glass will be similar to my binos.