Quiet elk, not even cow chatter

Where I hunt, I wouldn't expect there to be a ton of bugling when it starts. But I would at least expect to hear some cow chatter.

I hunted this area for about 7 days last year, with more than a few days of scouting last year. This year, I've scouted several days and have hunted there a total of 4 days so far. In all those days, I haven't heard any cow talk at all. Even when they've busted me, they don't throw out an alarm bark or anything.

Considering this, would you do any cow calling to bring them in for a shot? I was out with my wife over the weekend and called a couple of times, with no results. There may not have been any within earshot, but it got me thinking about whether or not I should be cow calling when the cows seem to be so quiet themselves.

Where I hunt, I wouldn't expect there to be a ton of bugling when it starts. But I would at least expect to hear some cow chatter.

I hunted this area for about 7 days last year, with more than a few days of scouting last year. This year, I've scouted several days and have hunted there a total of 4 days so far. In all those days, I haven't heard any cow talk at all. Even when they've busted me, they don't throw out an alarm bark or anything.

Considering this, would you do any cow calling to bring them in for a shot? I was out with my wife over the weekend and called a couple of times, with no results. There may not have been any within earshot, but it got me thinking about whether or not I should be cow calling when the cows seem to be so quiet themselves.
Are you trying to kill a bull, a cow, or either?

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Are you trying to kill a bull, a cow, or either?

It's my wife's first hunting season ever and she has an either sex archery tag. So she is game for either one. I was trying to call a cow in for her.

Just for myself, I'll be hunting for a bull until later in the season.

TheTone

WKR
It’s super early in the season, I really wouldn’t expect to hear much. All the elk I called in last year came in silent to cow calling and light bugling.

What I have ran into in the past is what I am sure some here are getting at. If the elk are pressured, they tend to go silent. That pressure could be from other hunters, or predators. But as was stated, this early, they tend to be on the quiet side. The lost calf is a good idea.

Sadler

WKR
It’s really boring but try cold calling throughout the day if they’re not talking and you think they’re in the area. I did that last year and was able to get it done. Called in a few spikes and a rag that all came in silent. I called between 20-45 minutes each time. That lost calf call sounds like a good idea too.

OP
H
What I have ran into in the past is what I am sure some here are getting at. If the elk are pressured, they tend to go silent. That pressure could be from other hunters, or predators. But as was stated, this early, they tend to be on the quiet side. The lost calf is a good idea.

This could be a possibility. I haven't ran into other hunters in that area, but I know there's a stand in one spot and a camera in another.

OP
H
Get within a couple hundred yards of the elk and use lost calf sounds, motherly instinct will bring them in.

I did try it once over the weekend, but nothing came. It's possible that my skills aren't up to snuff ;)

cnelk

WKR
It’s really boring but try cold calling throughout the day if they’re not talking and you think they’re in the area. I did that last year and was able to get it done. Called in a few spikes and a rag that all came in silent. I called between 20-45 minutes each time. That lost calf call sounds like a good idea too.

^^^ This

OP
H
Next time I'm out with her, I'll have to try a cold calling sequence and/or lost calf again. I know they're in the general area, so if the calling doesn't work we'll have to practice our still hunting skills moving through a couple of these water holes. It seems that they've hit them pretty regularly through the day over the last couple of weeks. It's just a matter of connecting at the right time.

In a side note, her first morning out, we're sitting in our cover by a good water hole and at about 8AM I hear them coming. But they came a little too quick for her to get her bow in hand. It was a calf and two cows. The calf came flying in and started chowing down about 2 yards from my wife. The cows were about 10 yards. I think if she was more experienced, she would have been able to get a shot off at a cow before the calf got spooked and took off. Even though it was a missed opportunity, she was elated to have that experience. Luckily, the cows didn't wind us or realize that we were there, so I expect to be able to see them again. Only the calf that nearly had it's head in our lap figured it out!

OP
H
I rarely ever hear any elk on their own........I have to initiate the conversation usually to get them going.

That's interesting. Even if say, you're watching a group that's totally relaxed they don't talk to each other much? Are you in a high pressure area?