Quilt newbie advice

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
The guys that use quilts seem to swear by them, “as long as they are used properly”. What exactly does this mean? What’s your advice or tips to staying warm in a quilt? I just picked up an EE revelation 0*. Thanks!

twall13

WKR
I typically use a quilt in a hammock so it's a bit different but I've used it on a pad a few times and use it the same way. Personally I think pad straps are worthless. Tuck the edges under your body and you'll get a much better seal. The main complaint I hear about quilts is they are drafty. If it's wide enough and tucked under your body drafts shouldn't be an issue for most people. I say most people cause if you sleep like my 8 year old daughter like a hurricane hit her bed the quilt won't stay tucked. Pad straps keep the quilt in place but don't move with you and create drafts as you move. It takes some practice to figure out how it works for you and I don't recommend learning while on a hunt but once you figure it out you'll probably like it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Gone4Days

WKR
pad is just as important as the quilt. Get high R value pad and a quilt that is wide enough

Rob5589

WKR
Make sure it's long and wide enough; use a quality pad with proper R value for your needs. I don't find I need to do anything special.

The guys that use quilts seem to swear by them, “as long as they are used properly”. What exactly does this mean? What’s your advice or tips to staying warm in a quilt? I just picked up an EE revelation 0*. Thanks!

The above comments hit the nail in the head with a good pad.

The only thing I’d add is the use of a company’s attachment system is a huge help in preventing it from sliding off in the middle of the night/letting drafts in.

Drafts. look at the wide size quilt and then get the extra wide and then sell it and get the extra extra wide.

it takes some technique and the attachment system helps. At the end of the day if you are an active sleeper, you are going to feel more drafts and have to adjust. Unfortunately, it takes a little practice and you have to try it a few nights to get it right or decide it is not for you.

FWIW I use a quilt or unzipped bag in warmer temps. For anything cold, say freezing and below, I prefer a bag. YMMV.

BDRam16

WKR
Just got my quilt yesterday as well. Couldn’t wait to mess around with it lol. I think I’m going to end up using the lowest strap for the pad, buckle and cinch around my neck, and keep the rest loose. I’m a very active sleeper so the middle strap seemed to be a hassle. Excited to take it out a few nights and test it more

Another thing to consider is why do you want to use a quilt? is it for weight saving or maybe a sleeping bag is to constrictive for you.

For me I have no issues using a mummy style sleeping bag. I got a quilt to save weight, but in the end i'm nto sure it was worth it. I save about 9 oz using my quilt versus my sleeping bag. However, my sleeping bag is much easier to use and has a hood. Therefore, is the 9 oz of weight savings really worth it for me.

These are the questions I would ask. It's easy to get caught up into hype of certain gear, but not everything works the same for everyone.

Lando

WKR
Some will disagree with me, but I like to use the extra length of my quilt to put the footbox around the foot end of my pad. It keeps my quilt attached to the pad and coupled with the quilt straps keeps everything sealed up a lot better for me on cold nights.

I also echo the statements on quilt width--the wider the better.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm new to quilts also. I've spent the last five nights in an EE Revelation Apex 30* on an Exped Downmat Ultra 7R. Temps have been in the 50s, so I've mostly been testing for function and drafts. I side sleep 80-90% and roll at least 5-8x per night. I like it for the freedom of movement, ease of entry/exit, and ability to control airflow to accommodate a wide temperature range.

I zip and drawstring close the foot box and use the lower strap. Upper strap was a hassle for me. On chilly nights I snapped the top snap around my neck for almost no draft.

So far so good. It will probably be my go-to for appropriate temps from now on.

Last edited:
I've used the following recipe over the past 4 years in Colorado (8k-12k elevation) with great success. It is perfect for me. Ive had it in several rain and hail storms and it is awesome.

1. Widest quilt with a closed footbox
2. Widest high R pad
3. eVent (or goretex) bivy
4. 10x10 flat tarp

rtrevith

FNG
Agreed with above. I have a very wide high R rating pad (the temp not so much the action :) and as long as I keep my EE quilt close to my person to limit drafts it does well. Using a silk sleeping bag liner does help considerably with the drafts and seems to help keep the quilt clean.

I've used the following recipe over the past 4 years in Colorado (8k-12k elevation) with great success. It is perfect for me. Ive had it in several rain and hail storms and it is awesome.

1. Widest quilt with a closed footbox
2. Widest high R pad
3. eVent (or goretex) bivy
4. 10x10 flat tarp
Could you post photos of your set up pitched etc? Kinda what I’ve been leaning to.

That’s about what I want to be doing. Montana seems to be pretty moderate weather…. Every archery season I pick the shittiest two weekends to go deep and get 1.5-2” of rain or 5” of snow. I have had some great trips in my bivy though in rifle. Need to work on the tarp pitch like you have set up and work on the quilt(moderate temp 30?) and higher R value pad.