r

JPD350

WKR
You are right that there are lots of variables although it's basically just one more trip then packing a cow, temperatures are the biggest issue for me, the higher the temps the faster it needs to come out and as I age I kinda need to do it slower then I use too! so if temps are high my range shrinks.

Edit, I didn't notice you were talking the late season so you'll probably be able to take your time, kill a big one!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, there's an almost 70 year old guy that my friends talk to every year in the Frank Church wilderness. Last year he killed two bulls and a buck by himself and packed them out by himself. It can be done, but he's got his system pretty dialed. Cooler temps certainly help, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think the decision needs to be made before you pull the trigger. I think to myself, do i have enough time, what’s the weather like, and how far am I from the truck. Deep snow adds more time to a pack out.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With low temps, I wouldn't be concerned at all because you can take your time. My young son killed a big bull in December once about 4 miles back. I fell and hurt my knee packing out the first load. We then waited a full week until I could hike again and then we packed out the rest. The meat was frozen and untouched still hanging in the tree.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Set a distance of what you can reasonably pack out safely and stick with that. That will allow you to time the pack out within reasonable time to preserve meat.

Cooler temps will be tremendously helpful. As another said, a cooler system is key. You can determine your distance based on the amount of time your coolers keep ice.

I solo packed out a bull during archery this year. Meat care was very tough and it was incredibly hard work. Good game bags are absolutely necessary. I use the TAG bags from Larry Bartlett. Larry did a meat care video as well. I can’t remember where I saw it. Maybe on Rokslide YouTube.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChukarUp

FNG
I packed a bull out last year solo, on a November rifle hunt. I trained all year for it. My strategy was lighter loads and more trips...my training was more focused on endurance than strength. Know your limitations for both weight and distance.

My legs were cooked by sunset on the first day, which was a good excuse to not pack out any loads in the dark. I still had 2 loads of meat, the head/cape, and my camp to pack out the next day.

It will be exhausting no matter what, but very rewarding when you reach the truck with the last load. Remember to stay hydrated and keep the calories coming in...same idea as any endurance event. Keep the meat in the shade too, even if temps are favorable.

It is definitely a worthy goal to train hard for. Good luck!

Not sure of what your conditioning is and i agree with most all of the advice above, but embracing the suck pretty much sums it up. Pray for cooler weather and put your head down and grind.
Best of luck!

FlyGuy

WKR
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a packers number stored in your phone just in case you bite off more than you can chew...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Another approach could be a sled if you have enough snow on the ground and the terrain allows for it. I had to pack my bull out this year solo in the late season and my approach was to hunt from the bottom up. When I shot my bull I shuttled the quarters down hill by dragging them in the snow. A sled would have helped a lot, but at the end of the day it was easier than putting it all on my back.

cnelk

WKR
If the terrain allows it, definitely think about a 'Jetsled'

Ive pulled a half an elk out using one

Attachments

• BK_drag_day.jpg
    BK_drag_day.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 183

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
If the terrain allows it, definitely think about a 'Jetsled'

Ive pulled a half an elk out using one

^^^This! Snow aids in the process tremendously however, I've used one on just grass before too. I've got a couple of places I go where the truck parking spot allows for use of a sled, should I get one down. Helped a buddy and his wife get two cows out from this spot one year this way. His son took a hind quarter and part of a shoulder on his back and the rest was in the sled on dried grass. Mile and a half and we took turns pulling. One trip and 2 elk were at the truck. If the terrain is suitable, I suggest keeping one of these in your truck bed. Hitched to your pack with all the weight in the sled and your arms free, is the way to go over snow. This year, my muley buck and most of a cow elk rode the sled out. First trip to get the sled from the truck was with a hind-quarter on my back.

codym

WKR
Last year I killed a bull .89 miles from the truck, it was actually on may way into a spring I planned to hunt but I spotted the bull and got lucky to get an arrow in him. I got to him at about 4 pm. Had him quartered by like 6 and made my first trip out. It was warm so I decided to pack meat all night. I slammed a couple rockstars and had at it. The terrain wasn't terrible but it was challenging. Got back to camp at about 2:30 am. I was in great shape but all I had was a badlands 2400 pack. I blew every buckle and ended up having to put meat inside the bag. I've upgraded my pack this year. In September If I'm hunting solo I don't go more than 2 miles away from the truck, it can get really hot and you will lose meat if you don't get it out. If I were hunting late season I still wouldn't go more than 3 miles in alone, but that's because it still can be warm in November and December here in NM. I guess the moral of the story is have good gear, be in shape, and be willing to go all night if need be, have a plan and don't overestimate your abilities.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
The labour of love. If there is no time restraint I tell my partners I will do it, what else do I have to do , waiting on them to score. I shot a Ak. moose 2 miles in from the shore were I camp on a drop hunt. 10 trips 2 miles each way . 40 miles, The labour of love. Would do it again.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted know your distance limitations and take it slow. Things can change in a hurry that time of year whether it is snow, melt ice storms etc. the key for me is always the amount of uphill and steep factor. Be prepared, take it slow and enjoy👍

Not sure what my limits are yet, but I hope I get to push them this September in Idaho! Train everyday.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am always solo and have had to limit my distances from the truck when I hunt due to warm conditions, many elk I just didnt go after due to this issue, it sucks listening to a hot bull and not hunting him but its tough to find reliable partners in the mountains!

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Tough. Had bull die in a flat spot between two logs. Had to carve as he was and work around to maneuver carcass. Was barely able to flip him with half of the meat off. Leverage was tough. Took a lot longer than usual. I carry some para cord and was able to tie limbs up to hold in place. I use gutless method.

Harvested another on a hill. Gravity was my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk