Rain gear needed?

Hopefully heading to Colorado for an archery high country hunt this September.

Wondering if I should look at investing in rain gear. I know it isn't SE Alaska by any means, and weight is at a premium as i'm backpacking in (assuming I draw the unit I put in for).

For those that hunt N/NW Colorado in September, should I be packing in rain gear?

I'll have the Kuiu Attack pants & Kenai jacket as outer layers, may bring my puffy i'm undecided at this point.

Laramie

WKR
I don't use rain gear very often in September but the few times I have, I was sure glad I had it. I typically leave it in the truck or at a base camp. I think I have used it more during pack outs than actual hunting.

OP
Jacob Chapman
My theory is if you don’t have you’ll need it. Sitka Dew Point is very light weight insurance.
Yeah that's a good call. I'm hesitant to spend $ on something that isn't durable as i'm going to be heading to Alaska in the next couple years as well.

Bodie1331

FNG
I feel it’s one of the best pieces of extra clothing to pack if gortex - serves multi duty if you hit weird cold weather and no one likes to be wet.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Mine usually stays at base camp unless the forecast is ominous. If the weather is clear I just carry a frog toggs pancho in my bag. It's perfect for the random short mountain thunderstorm. Good gaiters are a must if it's wet or muddy.

I have some good gortex military ECWCS rainwear but it's pretty bulky. It's bombproof but if it's raining hard enough to wear that than I'm probably back at camp.

I just bought some packable rainwear that was on sale at midway USA for spike camping. It looks pretty solid but haven't used it yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Backpacking in to CO high country in September? I think it'd be dangerous to not bring any. Even the lightest shell makes a big difference when a little wind and rain kicks up. Marmot precip is cheap and good enough.

Last edited:

mpb21

FNG
Any hunt in the mountains in September I carry rain gear. Too light and too valuable not to carry. Lots of affordable good value options out there. You can find some good used stuff online pretty easily.

inkedspot

FNG
I have used the Chugach rain gear for a while. It packs down fairly well and I get as much use out of it as a hard shell as I do for rain gear.

I don’t go on any hunt without rain gear. It also serves as a good hard shell over base layers if you get a quality set. I currently have the chugach and have worn it in Alaska and several western states. Very common for wet days in CO during Sept. Just a recommendation - for the pants get a pair with full zips. Much easier to get on and off quickly and if the zippers will zip down from the waist they make great hip vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcrossett

FNG
I brought it with this past year but ended up leaving it in the truck. Checked the forecast religiously leading up to hiking back and there wasn't any chance of precipitation so went without it. If this year is anything like last year with how hot and dry it was you won't need it, but as they say in the mountains if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes and it can change.

My Badlands Exo pants and jacket are now at least 6 years old and have never failed me. Tough, quiet, waterproof and packable and a no questions asked Lifetime Warranty if you destroy them somehow.

I would definitely take some. On my high country hunts we got dumped on both times and the kuiu rain gear came in handy big time.

ColoradoV

WKR
If you are hunting the high country of Colorado it is both irresponsible as well as unsafe not to have rain gear.

Weather at 10k+ is unpredictable at best... I carry mine every single day even if the weatherman says we are going into a week of high pressure...

I don't leave home without it personally. Especially that time of year when the monsoons can ruin your day real quick.

I always have an outdoor research helium jacket in my pack. Goes over light puffy on windy days and has kept me dry on down pour trips. I don’t carry rain pants.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted last year in the Zirkels high country from Sept 9-12 with no rain gear and didn't need any but the forecast was clear and still probably got lucky that we had no rain. I think for the highcountry in august you'll want to bring a superlight rain coat as insurance but depending on the forecast you might be able to leave it in the truck.