Rain Jacket: HH Impertech (Rubber) VS Breathable Membrane

Johnboy

WKR
Alright gang, another question here about hunt-planner advice I've received versus what guys here seem to prefer. I'll be going on a moose float hunt in the Brooks in September of 2016. It's a 10-day trip, very remote. I've been strongly advised to avoid breathable membrane raingear and stick with rubber, specifically the HH Impertech jacket. I'm told that even the best-of-the-best breathable "waterproof" materials eventually leak when subjected to prolonged moisture exposure not uncommonly encountered in AK, and therefore Impertech (or equivalent) is the only absolutely reliable option. The same advisor recommends Goretex waders as daily hunting pants on a float hunt. Seems almost like a contradiction, granted rain jackets don't usually have 5 membrane layer.

Anyway, should I heed this no-breathable-rain-jackets advice, or should I go the more modern route and rely on Goretex (or equivalent)? Any thoughts or experiences you can share would be appreciated.

-John

PNWGATOR

WKR
I have used the HH Impertech for years and they're great. Best value for the dollar by far. That said, there are lots of guys here that have extensive experience in wet climates on extended hunts and they speak very favorably about the quality, high tech rain gear. Kuiu Chugach for example. Years ago I invested in a high end goretex fishing jacket. I've used it from BC, to the Olympic Peninsula and thoughout the Pacific Northwest chasing steelhead and it's one of the best pieces of kit I own. Can't go wrong with the HH, but I'd suggest strongly considering the spending the money on a high end, proven set of rain gear.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
When I packraft which is usually a wetting scenario than most standard raft/cataraft float hunts and use waterproof breathable rain jackets. Certainly nothing wrong with impertech and I still have an impertech jacket but it rarely gets used except on boat based hunts or ATV hunts. Even then its usually just a back up rain jacket.

With a 90 pound weight limit of gear/food per person excluding your raft you have a pretty good weight allowance I would think. My wife and I packed for 18 days on a sheep hunt with a 50 pound weight limit per person and were still able to squeeze a bit of Vodak to boot in there. 18 days of food took up 54 of our allotted 100 pound combined weight limit so I think if you wish to bring a synthetic bag and an extra rain jacket you can. That said I think you'd be just fine with a QUALITY waterproof breathable jacket.

I've got a set of Grunden rubbers that I've used a lot over the years while fishing, crabbing and whatnot. I would never and have never once worn them while drifting a river. I sweat just looking at them. They are great for sitting in the rain but are just way too hot for rowing, hunting or hiking.

I'd probably bring both. Rubber for sitting in the raft or in camp while everything else is drying and goretex for when active. I've had great luck with Grundens as my set is twenty years old or so. I've also had great luck with the Sitka Cloudburst while rowing/fishing for steelhead in some epic rainstorms. The rubbers are certainly cheaper.

kodiakfly

WKR
The waders are for getting in and out of the raft quickly. You may not always be able to properly beach the raft and step onto a dry bank. You may have to very quickly jump into knee or thigh deep water to get the raft to shore. And it's scary how many moose tend to die in a river and you have to get them out. The waders are for standing in water; they're not for rain protection.

As for the jackets, if you can take both, take both. Leave the Impertech in the raft or at camp. It's perfect for drenching rain and sitting. If you're not rowing, you're just sitting and soaking. But if you're hiking or doing anything active, the Impertech will soak you from the inside out. It is lighter than Grundens, packs better and weighs less. It is standard gear here. But even if I'm in hard rain, if I have to move or be active, I'm wearing something breathable.

bcimport

WKR
I have both the impertech and event three layer stuff. If I'm not hiking a ton it's impertech, if I have to be real active I'll take my breathable stuff. Perhaps just because I feel like I "should". Really the impertech is great and most every year I feel like I just should have brought my hellys and saved money.

hodgeman

WKR
It's all about how much physical activity I'll be doing. Low activity in the pouring rain- Helly all the way. Hiking above tree line? Breathable is best.

It rains like hell in AK during hunting season. Take both.

jherald

WKR
I quit wearing any HH Impertech or Grundens with only one exception; when I go fishing and expect to get cured roe or other bait and fish blood smeared all over it. I don't feel like scrubbing the heck out of my breathable rainwear to clean it up, the rubbers clean easy.

Outside of fishing with bait, I only wear breathable raingear anymore. Will never wear rubbers on any hunt ever again. I've got Kuiu Chugach and Yukon rain gear right now and havent had any issues with the Chugach in 3 years, even in downpour rain wearing it during everything from Sheep hunts to Moose hunts to Bear hunts. No issues with the Yukon so far and wore it in a literal torrential rain and snow storm in PWS last fall; no issues there at all except for a faulty seam in the neck which Kuiu fixed for free. Wore it in the rain after that and no issues what so ever. I won't fault the jacket on the bad seam because a bad seam line can happen in any rainwear whether rubber or breathable.

I'd go with a Sitka Dewpoint or Cloudburst series or Kuiu Chugach series. You'll be happy with either one.

Some people find their breathable raingear to be leaking when it is merely sweat build up on the inside from exertion and the moisture inside builds up faster than the membrane can breathe.

Gore-Tex waders are a laminate, usually a 4 or 5 layer laminate. Breathable raingear is usually a 3 or 4 layer laminate. The waders are made to be under water 100% or the time and leak 0%, same applies to breathable rain gear. I've never seen any Gore-tex wader fail from water "leaking through" the material and I've been a fishing guide for many years in the past and lived in my waders for up to 16 hours a day at times. I have found moisture build up inside my waders from perspiration faster than the wader material could breathe. But the werent "leaking". The breathable raingear will suit just fine.

Last edited:
Watching this all very closely. I'm not doing a raft hunt but hitting Brooks and am contemplating rain gear and waders/boots as well. I have both the Sitka Stormfront Lite (newer version with pit zips) and the Dewpoint which is a bit lighter. I have traditional neoprene fishing waders that are hot and Grundens but neither seem particularly smart for moose hunting (hot and heavy). Am thinking my Wiggys Lightweight Waders are okay for skinny water crossings but not good for dressing out a moose in the water. So I am paying attention here...please continue. Thanks.

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
Bruce, I'd suggest chest waders for a float trip. It's more than river crossings. It's coming around a bend, seeing a sweeper that wasn't there last year and you've got to hop out of the raft into waist-deep water and pull the raft up on the bank...NOW. As well as when you're on the river, you'll be on the river all day (or several days) and you'll need more than Wiggy's waders (I have a pair for crossing a stream I hunt for goat). You're doing way more than river crossings. You'd be fine with a mediocre pair of breathables from Cabela's. I don't wear any of my Simms on moose hunts.