Ram 1500 eco Diesel

bisblue

WKR
You would be better off with the GM 1/2ton diesel.
Copy, problem is there aren't many on the used market, I'd cry too hard the first River I desert pin stripe it😂.

I also heard that motor has an internal belt that needs inspected my dropping the transmission, but that could be heresay🤷.

I'm planning to buy in 6 months-a year so I'll keep looking at the chevy

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Copy, problem is there aren't many on the used market, I'd cry too hard the first River I desert pin stripe it😂.

I also heard that motor has an internal belt that needs inspected my dropping the transmission, but that could be heresay🤷.

I'm planning to buy in 6 months-a year so I'll keep looking at the chevy
It does but some make it out to be an issue, I don’t feel it is, bought mine in Jan 2021 and have 25k on it already. With how high used prices are might be better buying new.

I had a ‘15 Laramie ED. This generation of ED only ran great with a tune or delete. Unfortunately, the EPA has cracked down hard on the aftermarket tuners and are surveilling most of them constantly. They can no longer sell tunes that compromise federal regulations. This happened around 2019. The Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) engine and trans tunes I had were pre-2019 (non-compliant) and did a great job of waking that truck up. It pulled my boat and trailer better than my ‘19 Hemi does at 22-23mpg. However, like @Ryan Avery observed, the crank position sensor-tone rings, turbo line leaks, and engine compartment fires are real risks and very costly. The turbo line is located under the intake manifold and made from very thin material that is subject to premature failure due to excessive heat sink.

IF you decide to go this route (I wouldn’t) the first thing you want to do is remove all the slow death foam and the insulated plastic cover from the top of the motor. These hold a ton of heat on sensitive electronic connections and cause failures. Next remove the heavy insulated steel cover from the fuel pump near the EGR. This is also known to cause failures.

Finally (and only because it’s easier with all that crap gone) remove the EGR tube from the intake and see how bad the coke/soot build-up is. If the truck was never tuned I guarantee the top end will be horrible. Mine was bad at 35k miles, and fortunately I knew an insider that told me how to get the intake replaced. If it is full of that greasy tar and baked on coke, you’ll want to replace the intake to prevent hard chunks falling into the motor and destroying it.

Lastly, I’d find a full delete kit and tune for it.

bisblue

WKR
I had a ‘15 Laramie ED. This generation of ED only ran great with a tune or delete. Unfortunately, the EPA has cracked down hard on the aftermarket tuners and are surveilling most of them constantly. They can no longer sell tunes that compromise federal regulations. This happened around 2019. The Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) engine and trans tunes I had were pre-2019 (non-compliant) and did a great job of waking that truck up. It pulled my boat and trailer better than my ‘19 Hemi does at 22-23mpg. However, like @Ryan Avery observed, the crank position sensor-tone rings, turbo line leaks, and engine compartment fires are real risks and very costly. The turbo line is located under the intake manifold and made from very thin material that is subject to premature failure due to excessive heat sink.

IF you decide to go this route (I wouldn’t) the first thing you want to do is remove all the slow death foam and the insulated plastic cover from the top of the motor. These hold a ton of heat on sensitive electronic connections and cause failures. Next remove the heavy insulated steel cover from the fuel pump near the EGR. This is also known to cause failures.

Finally (and only because it’s easier with all that crap gone) remove the EGR tube from the intake and see how bad the coke/soot build-up is. If the truck was never tuned I guarantee the top end will be horrible. Mine was bad at 35k miles, and fortunately I knew an insider that told me how to get the intake replaced. If it is full of that greasy tar and baked on coke, you’ll want to replace the intake to prevent hard chunks falling into the motor and destroying it.

Lastly, I’d find a full delete kit and tune for it.
Copy, really appreciate that rundown.

This will be a second vehicle and not get a ton of miles. As much as I want the diesel, the numbers on my spreadsheet just don't work getting it. Saving $500 a year, it takes a lot of years of no issues to even out, especially with having to do all the mods. I have a friend that can pick me up a truck at auction, I might just suck it up and get a V8 gas. I really want something I don't have to think about or tinker with.

Or maybe just keep driving my 01 Cummins. I've replaced everything but the motor.... Just don't like to send my wife off with two kids and a trailer to go 7 hours to her folks place with 357K on the clock.20200702_174248.jpg

I really want something I don't have to think about or tinker with.
EXACTLY why I traded my ED for a '19 Hemi. I loved the truck but it was constant axiety about what would break and how much it would cost. Considering you have to take the cab off to get to most of the critical parts, everything is MAJOR. Add to that the fact that diesel is $5.29 in Iowa right now, I'm glad I traded.

tdhanses

WKR
Copy, really appreciate that rundown.

This will be a second vehicle and not get a ton of miles. As much as I want the diesel, the numbers on my spreadsheet just don't work getting it. Saving $500 a year, it takes a lot of years of no issues to even out, especially with having to do all the mods. I have a friend that can pick me up a truck at auction, I might just suck it up and get a V8 gas. I really want something I don't have to think about or tinker with.

Or maybe just keep driving my 01 Cummins. I've replaced everything but the motor.... Just don't like to send my wife off with two kids and a trailer to go 7 hours to her folks place with 357K on the clock.View attachment 409531
Based on that you won’t drive it much I’d keep your truck and get your wife a Yukon.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a 2014 1500 diesel since I bought it from a friend with 60k miles 4 yrs ago. It now has 120k. It was fully deleted and tuned since brand new. Lots of poop and gets 26 mpg on country roads, which is 99% of what I drive. Gets the same on freeway going 75mph. Has heavy e rate tires so probe get another 1.5 mpg with normal tires. Would I buy another? no as I dont tow anymore so dosent make sense. Extra cost of diesel mutes the mpg effect. Had some issues with coolant hose leaks and cost a sh&t pile to fix as had to lift cab. Problem is once you get used to diesel power it dosent feel nice to drive an ever shifting gasser if you live in mountainous country.