Miles on your old 7.3 diesel?

I don't know about a 7.3 "Power Stroke", but I have an 01' Cummins with 415k on it.
Still get 17mpg.
My neighbor had a '93 Cummins. The speedometer broke at 469K and he drove it another bazillion miles.
Matt is one of those guys that will stop half acre shy of planting a 300 acre wheat field to change the oil in his tractor.
When Matt parks a piece of equipment and says, "It's worn out.", you may as well haul it to the scrap yard!
One of his hands was driving the '93 across a pasture to turn some steers. He hit a ditch and ripped the entire front axle out from under it.
Matt pulled the motor and transmission out of the truck. Junked the truck and put the motor in one truck and the transmission in another.
Forty years and he still uses them both!

That's tough!

IMG_6362.jpeg

She‘s a monster.

P

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👊

I would pay money if Walmart would sell me the security cam video of this event.
It would also show me picking that thing up over my head and throwing it as far as I could when I saw there was no damage to it. Then I told my daughters that were with me that I wanted to go back and throw it in the bed and bring it home and take it apart with a torch. I'll post pics of the damage later. :mad:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It would also show me picking that thing up over my head and throwing it as far as I could when I saw there was no damage to it. Then I told my daughters that were with me that I wanted to go back and throw it in the bed and bring it home and take it apart with a torch. I'll post pics of the damage later. :mad:
It’s getting better by the post 😂😂😂👊

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
"... It would also show me picking that thing up over my head and throwing it as far as I could... ..."

Double "Y" chromosome maybe?

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed around the 200k mark, fuel tank issues can arise. The factory filter screens gum up and will not pickup fuel with less than a 1/4 tank. Look up the hutch/harpoon mod, for a variety of ways to fix the issue. Full Force diesel makes a nice kit if you don't want to go the diy route. Another potential weak point is you high pressure oil system. HPOP failures are rare, but they get tired and less efficient as time goes on. Someone previously mentioned Riff Raff diesel for parts, Corey at CNCFab is another good vendor to buy from, lots of 7.3 specific parts.

oh and to answer your question my first 7.3 had 311k miles on it when I sold it. The one I have now has 135k

Bears

FNG
This story happened about five years back.

My brother had a 2000 F350 7.3, long bed super cab 2WD truck around 175000 miles.

He was tough on stuff. If I gave him an anvil it would have soon have a mechanical problem. Except that truck was always reliable. It had a good body not a spec of rust.

He switched jobs and parked it in his driveway for years. He finally got motivated to sell it when he got a code violation.
He wasn't able to get it running, his "friend" looked at it and told him it needed thousands of dollars worth of work. I encouraged him to spend a little to get it running and driving and thought he'd have at least a $10k truck.

The first day he had it for sale two guys drove 3 hours to trailer it home. However, as we all suspected, after giving my brother the money the new owner worked on it for about 10 minutes, fired it up, and drove off into the sunset.

He sold it for $2000

TXCO

WKR
I had a 97 I took to 250k. Engine was fine. Everything else had to be replaced along the way. I cant imagine the expense of that on a modern truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Gen one diesels only way to go.
My 03 duramax is 520,000 miles still in use doing just fine. That's with 10 years old field pipeline. I have friends running gen 1 dodges and ford's that are in same boat.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Should anyone need the information!

Diesel long blocks and short blocks are available at:
Bloomenthal's
OKC.

Last time I checked, a long block for my Cummins 5.9l was $5,000.
Five K for the long block and 5K to have it installed is still cheaper than a new pickup!

Bloomenthal's also still rebuilds standard transmissions.

I have a 97 F250 that I bought used in 1999. It was like new and had about 40K on it. It's now at 307K and still runs great. I've thought about buying a new truck but it's hard to justify the cost when mine does everything I want it to. Plus I love the old truck at this point.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 97 F250 that I bought used in 1999. It was like new and had about 40K on it. It's now at 307K and still runs great. I've thought about buying a new truck but it's hard to justify the cost when mine does everything I want it to. Plus I love the old truck at this point.
When you get a tool that does everything you ask, asks for nothing in return, never complains and keeps on giving, it's hard to give it up!

'01 Dodge 3500 dually w/6 spd, Cummins 5.9l 405K miles.
STILL gets 17mpg!
Gotta luv it!

I’m on my third one, first I drove till 329k and sold and it’s still on the road second drove till 250 then sold still on the road today, just bought another one after a short flirtatious stint with a 6.0 (the whistle) and torque drew me in. My new 7.3 has 196k and is damn near perfect all the way around! They are great trucks and don’t know if I will own another truck other than a 7.3

I’m on my third one, first I drove till 329k and sold and it’s still on the road second drove till 250 then sold still on the road today, just bought another one after a short flirtatious stint with a 6.0 (the whistle) and torque drew me in. My new 7.3 has 196k and is damn near perfect all the way around! They are great trucks and don’t know if I will own another truck other than a 7.3

7c73c70a3df7b8ff9f99293f88203a47.jpg

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I've asked this question on the powerstroke forum, but I like Rokslide guys better (don't tell them). So for all you handy 7.3 guys that replied previously in this thread......

I'm doing a full cooling system flush on an '03 F-350, "Gooch" style. I know that the "Flushing T" is to be installed/spliced into a heater core hose by the oil fill spout. But, I can't find anywhere which heater hose?

I think I understand correctly that both hoses (inlet/ outlet) are referred to as heater core hoses? How can I tell which one is which? And which one should I splice the Flushing T into?

Thanks in advance!

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same thing going. She's rusty but I still get compliments and random strangers trying to buy it. I dont like how hard it is to start in cold temperatures and it is slow on hills when pulling my boat (~13-15k pounds) but I cant imagine paying $50K plus for a new truck.

wapitibob

WKR
I've asked this question on the powerstroke forum, but I like Rokslide guys better (don't tell them). So for all you handy 7.3 guys that replied previously in this thread......

I'm doing a full cooling system flush on an '03 F-350, "Gooch" style. I know that the "Flushing T" is to be installed/spliced into a heater core hose by the oil fill spout. But, I can't find anywhere which heater hose?

I think I understand correctly that both hoses (inlet/ outlet) are referred to as heater core hoses? How can I tell which one is which? And which one should I splice the Flushing T into?

Thanks in advance!

If it's like my '99 just throw the radiator in the trash and buy a new one for $200. 4 bolts a cpl hoses and less than 1 hour start to finish.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
If it's like my '99 just throw the radiator in the trash and buy a new one for $200. 4 bolts a cpl hoses and less than 1 hour start to finish.
I did that! New full aluminum Radiator, hoses, clamps, T-stat, etc.....

I'm doing the full flush because I'm switching over to ELC Coolant, so I need to get all the old stuff out.

wapitibob

WKR
some decent updates I did

new fuel pressure spring kit; amazon about $22
parts-express door lock actuators; just splice in the wires and actuator rod $8
hd glow plug relay; about $50 and won't crap out if you crank the motor too soon

Man I regret selling my 2000 F350. Best truck I ever owned. I paid 17k for it in 2008 and sold it for 24k in 2013. It had 160k on it then.

My Dad bought a 2001 F350 in 2019. It had 180k in it. He paid 20k for it. He had to put a new water pump and new fuel lines in it but other than that it has had no issues. He tows his 35ft 5er with it. It has 250k on it now.