Miles on your old 7.3 diesel?

I've jumped into the 7.3 diesel world twice in the last 8 months. A 2003 F350 with 208K miles. And then, just last week, a 2003 Ford Excursion with 128K miles.

The word on the streets is that it's not out of the ordinary to be able to get a half a million miles on a 7.3 that stays taken care of. I've got 2 friends who are right around 400k on their 7.3 pickups.

So, what's the mileage on your 7.3? Any tips and tricks to keeping them young? So far, I've learned to keep an extra glow plug relay in the pickup. What else?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t forget to take care of the body to prevent or repair rust. Sorry that’s not what you asked but when I was looking at those they were all for sale because of rust even though they ran great with 150k+.

Matt5266

WKR
01 F250 - 99000 miles. Make sure you use a good fuel additive. New age diesel is terrible on these reliable old engines. Also change your fuel filter often. It's cheap and easy. Use good filters everywhere. Wix, baldwin etc

nobody

WKR
The engine will outlast the body and trans easily. My grandpa sold an 01 2 years ago with 150k and it was on his 3rd transmission, and it was never driven over 50 MPH or hauled heavy. Dad sold his 02 f350 2 years ago with 130k on it for $22,500, and he bought it with 30k in 2009 for $25k. It ran like a million bucks and had never had any mechanical problems other than a leaky high pressure fuel line. But even living in the garage 100% of the time it was unbelievably rusty.

Pre 2000-ish they were lower hp and tq output, and from what I understand we’re also a bit more “bulletproof.” Think 12 valve vs 24 valve Cummins.

Idk if I would overpay for one, but if I got a good deal on a non-fixer-upper that was minty fresh with low miles, wouldn’t turn it down. I’d rather have one of those than any diesel 2008 and newer.

my '99 F-350

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

jahaze

FNG
My 1997 F250 with the 7.3 still runs @ 280,000 miles on the clock. Body rusted off and frame is bad so it needs to go to the scrap yard soon. The joys of living in Michigan with all the salt they use on the roads. Anyway, never touched the motor. Hard to beat, if you can keep the rust under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

423,000 on my daily/work truck. 3rd owner on the farm and still runs like a champ! Ether stays in the toolbox and it’s been through a few transmissions but otherwise
It’s been solid!

Turbo pedestal o rings and up pipes leaking is common. I also relocated the blow by/breather to atmosphere instead of routing pack into the intake tube and filling the intercooler with oil and deteriorating the boots. Also stay on top of the glow plugs/relays! One thing we do in the farm is religious oil changes, we have had tons of gas rigs well over 300,000 miles and I think this is the main contender. Good maintenance goes a long way.

packer58

WKR
Just sold my 01 last Sept, 346,000 miles. I could tell it was getting tired for sure. Take care of your 7.3 and it will take care of you ............

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Don’t forget to take care of the body to prevent or repair rust. Sorry that’s not what you asked but when I was looking at those they were all for sale because of rust even though they ran great with 150k+.
Ya my truck came with a bit of rust, and I try real hard to keep it from getting any worse. The excursion is rust free!

140,xxx here. On my third 7.3 OBS truck.

I tow sometimes and you want to monitor EGT (exhaust temp) so you don’t burn everything up. So get an analog or digital reader for that.

I like the electronic dash reader (specifically Edge Insight CTS3) because it will give you codes, oil temp, trans temp, EGT temp (with additional adapter), etc etc etc.

I have tuner as well to provide better daily driving, towing, quieter at the drive thru mode, etc.

Glovebox items: fuses, sockets, wrenches, CPS, IPR, etc

Good site I like for parts/ advice (and owner knows his stuff / but hard to get ahold of unless you email) is Riff Raff Diesel (Ford diesel trucks).

Because you have two of the same 7.3s - you can prob have a “kit bag” that ya swap out depending on which 7.3 you are driving. And if you intend to keep both - I recommend once you encounter a problem on one - then put a new part on the other vic because the hardest part is doing the fix once (but to do it on the other vehicle will be so easy).

Fuel treat when cold but pay attention to local shops that sell diesel - some will pretreat their diesel with anti gel down to a certain temp (check with locations that sell it and see what they say). That can save you money because you won’t always have to add in the anti gel yourself.

Lastly - depending on where you live - ask around for a good 7.3 diesel mechanic that has experience. Most of the time you can solve yourself, but sometimes those local diesel mechanics can just tell you the prob by listening to it idle or “attempt” to start up. I was up in Wyoming hunting and popped over to Idaho because there was a retired Ford mechanic (7.3 diesels) that had a shop. He helped me ID a quick/cheap fix which was the glow plug relay, but I had already spent hours trouble shooting other issues which were closely related. So word of advice, if sometimes giving you a hard start in winter, check the glow plug relay ha.

Good luck. Take care of the 7.3s and they will take care of you !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2000 F350 with 208k. Doesn’t love starting when it’s cold, fine if it’s plugged in, but I usually bring a generator to plug it in if I’m at a trail head for a few days in November. That definitely gets annoying.

I like the pickup, and haven’t had any rust issues here in Montana, but it is in the shop for some front end issues now and getting the tranny checked out.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2000 F350 with 208k. Doesn’t love starting when it’s cold, fine if it’s plugged in, but I usually bring a generator to plug it in if I’m at a trail head for a few days in November. That definitely gets annoying.

I like the pickup, and haven’t had any rust issues here in Montana, but it is in the shop for some front end issues now and getting the tranny checked out.
I've heard guys talk about "front end issues" on the 7.3s. What does that mean exactly?

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard guys talk about "front end issues" on the 7.3s. What does that mean exactly?
Well, my understanding from my mechanic was that in the 99s and 2000s they put Dana 50s under them in the front. I plow with mine, and ended up blowing up the front diff of the 50. They put a Dana 60 under it a couple years ago, but now I have a couple leaking seals and a grind coming from the front end somewhere when it’s in 4wd. Also replacing a ball joint while they’re at it.

I’m sure having the plow on there is a contributing factor to the faster wear on the front, but imo, the Dana 50 was too light for a one ton to begin with.