Ramshot Big Game, 7mm-08, and Magnum Primers

Looking at 7mm-08 load data with Ramshot Big Game and 120-140gr pills. Please give advice and your experiences with magnum vs standard large rifle primers and how that affects charge min and max loads. Any specific load recommendations welcomed. 24” barrel

IMG_2503.jpeg
IMG_2499.jpeg

MattB

WKR
I use 48.0 grs with Hammer Hunter 120 grs. Shoots great and below what I have seen for max/no signs of excessive pressure. Not sure the COAL.

t_carlson

WKR
I’ve heard of using mag primers in ‘06 length cartridges but not ‘08. I didn’t see much difference in a 270.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ve heard of using mag primers in ‘06 length cartridges but not ‘08. I didn’t see much difference in a 270.
That's good to know. I have a bunch of mag primers but mostly load for .270 now. Was debating trying to trade them for non mag, but figured I'd try them first.

Historically magnum primers burn hotter than standard primers. Hotter being a relative term that could take in to account a more violent burn or hotter temp based on the compound. This all affects accuracy, pressure and velocity.

However, that can vary between manufacturers. I.E some standard primers may burn hotter than magnum primers. It's not cut and dried.

I don't see any information about the temperatures you expect to hunt at, what temperatures you will develop that load at.

As with good loading practice, when you change a component especially the primer, start low and work up. If you can, try both types of primers and see what you get.

If accessibility of primers is in consideration and you can choose only one or the other, based on my experience with ball powders in general, I would go with a magnum primer (given it's a ball powder) and as hunting season can take place in cold temps.

Last edited: