Random observation- NL Pure

AZ8

WKR
I frequent several hunting/outdoor forums and I’ve noticed something that’s caught my eye lately.

Seems to be alot of people selling their NL Pure 10x42. Usually the ad states only used on one hunt, used a couple times, etc. I saw 3 for sale in one week on the same forum.

Wonder why? Is it buyers remorse due to the high dollar price tag? Over hype? Or people discovering it’s not for them?

Sure is interesting.

BBob

WKR
IMO People overspent after getting caught up in the hype and are selling because they really can't afford them. I say hype loosely because they really are a fantastic binocular. In reality most hunters don't need a binocular this good for the amount of time they actually use them so you have to ask yourself at what price point is good enough? Even though I'm a long time optics snob and have owned and appreciated the best of the best I too have asked myself if I truly need a binocular worth near $3K??? BTW my dealer still has back-orders on every model except the 32's.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with this^^. A lot of folks likely jumped in after all of the glowing reviews, but in all honesty, how many really need a $3k bino? It gets to the price point that you are afraid to take them out for fear of damaging the investment. There are so many good choices at less than half that price that perform nearly as good.

Reactions: AZ8
IMO People overspent after getting caught up in the hype and are selling because they really can't afford them. I say hype loosely because they really are a fantastic binocular. In reality most hunters don't need a binocular this good for the amount of time they actually use them so you have to ask yourself at what price point is good enough? Even though I'm a long time optics snob and have owned and appreciated the best of the best I too have asked myself if I truly need a binocular worth near $3K??? BTW my dealer still has back-orders on every model except the 32's.
i think that's a great assessment.

my current pair of NL's would be one of the last belongings i would sell, and plan on getting a set of 8's as well, but i don't think it's the best bino for everyone, and if you own a set or 5 of other top shelf optics, i could see them not being worth keeping when you can turn them for almost new cost.

people may have over expected with the hype following the NL as well, but when you get near the top in performance, incremental improvements start costing more and more, cost vs performance in optics is far from linear

.577NE

FNG
I frequent several hunting/outdoor forums and I’ve noticed something that’s caught my eye lately.

Seems to be alot of people selling their NL Pure 10x42. Usually the ad states only used on one hunt, used a couple times, etc. I saw 3 for sale in one week on the same forum.

Wonder why? Is it buyers remorse due to the high dollar price tag? Over hype? Or people discovering it’s not for them?

Sure is interesting.
I made the exact same observation.

Someone affording a NL will not sell because of buyers remorse, but unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ8
Id agree with the above. I bet a lot of people over hyped them and made it seem like deer glow like the sun in them and they spot stuff for you.
I just got a pair a month ago. There nothing short of amazing but i went into it expecting it to only be a couple percent better then my mavens.
These flat out are better in every way, but not by the linear $2000 amount as said above. That being said unless things go way south i will keep these and go homeless before selling

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
People may have also bought them for 1 hunt, knowing they could sell them for close to new cost. Such a strategy has been recommended on this form for everything from WM sleeping bags to optics to packs. If I was going on a 20K or more guided sheep hunt and knew I would not be using the gear again for at least several years, I could see doing the same.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
It kinda blows my mind people are blindly buying a $3K pair of binoculars, then being disappointed. I went and tested the NLs at least half a dozen times in various conditions at places like Sportsmans and various other outdoor/hunting shops. I was very pleased with what I saw and purchased the NLs knowing full well what they looked like. I also don’t live in a big city with amenities everywhere. I think the possibility of people going on their once in every five year hunt, then selling afterwards is a bigger likelihood, and maybe 7% inflation also has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
For me I simply wanted that money tied up in guns and other gear vs a pair of binos. If $ were limitless I'd have kept them.

I use my binos 12-14 hours a day on certain hunts, my 10x42 NL's might be the last thing I would sell. I had no idea the experience could get better over the EL but they did it. Throughout the year, I'm constantly using them whether it's looking at wintering animals, spring bear, random outings with the family, and of course, scouting.

As to the random guy coming from the east coast/mid west or even the local hunter who maybe does 5-10 days a year who is hunting to fill a freezer. A 3k binocular sitting on a shelf for 360 days a year could reason to easily sell it and go with say a used Leica Trinovid. I also think a few folks are finding a 12x42 isn't for them.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone who says they are not impressed with the NLs is either clueless, lying, or has ulterior motives. I was going from ELs to NL and I was not expecting any difference; I was wrong. They are absolutely spectacular in every way, all the way down to their ergonomics. Lots of reasons people will get rid of something but nobody is getting rid of these because they are not excellent.

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
I use my binos 12-14 hours a day on certain hunts, my 10x42 NL's might be the last thing I would sell. I had no idea the experience could get better over the EL but they did it. Throughout the year, I'm constantly using them whether it's looking at wintering animals, spring bear, random outings with the family, and of course, scouting.

As to the random guy coming from the east coast/mid west or even the local hunter who maybe does 5-10 days a year who is hunting to fill a freezer. A 3k binocular sitting on a shelf for 360 days a year could reason to easily sell it and go with say a used Leica Trinovid. I also think a few folks are finding a 12x42 isn't for them.
Any chance you would elaborate on the 12x42 not working for folks? I am debating the 10’s or 12’s thinking the 12’s would keep me from adding 15’s to the stable. Will likely have an ATX down the road but this NL decision has to come first. Coming from Razor HD 10x50 that I like but wish there was a bit more eye relief.

Thank you,

Any chance you would elaborate on the 12x42 not working for folks? I am debating the 10’s or 12’s thinking the 12’s would keep me from adding 15’s to the stable. Will likely have an ATX down the road but this NL decision has to come first. Coming from Razor HD 10x50 that I like but wish there was a bit more eye relief.

Thank you,

Very few people can hand hold a 12x.

Ideally I’d have a 10 and 12 NL and use the 12 on hunts that I glass 99% of the time on a tripod.

As far as 15’s go unless you are a Coues deer hunter I wouldn’t worry about them. A lot of folks think they need them.

You are thinking correctly. Get the best pair of binoculars you can afford, get a good tripod and head, then get the spotter.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
While I’ve never looked through them yet I still have a hard time thinking you’re automatically guaranteed to spot more game using them compared to EL’s or SF’s. That’s the end goal here, spot game. Ease on the eyes is nice too which any of the above glass does.

idig4au

WKR
Anyone who says they are not impressed with the NLs is either clueless, lying, or has ulterior motives. I was going from ELs to NL and I was not expecting any difference; I was wrong. They are absolutely spectacular in every way, all the way down to their ergonomics. Lots of reasons people will get rid of something but nobody is getting rid of these because they are not excellent.
I have the same experience. Went from 12x50EL to 12x42NL. I bought them without having even looked through them based on reviews and fanfare. I didn’t really see much difference between the ELs at first and after a quick side by side comparison. But then I took them on a 10 day hunt where I could spent lots of time behind them and oh my, the NL’s are indeed absolutely spectacular in every way. Zero buyer remorse.

wyosteve

WKR
I have the 12 NL's with the forehead rest and Outdoorsmans stud. Have all bases pretty well covered. I went from 10x42 EL's to the 12's and have no regrets.

So I did a thing. I got a stupid deal on 10x42 NL’s, 12x42 NL’s and 15x56 scls a week ago. The best bino I have ever used before these is Leupold BX4 Mojave’s. The very first look through the 10x42 NL’s was mind blowing. I really didn’t know what the real difference was between low end glass and alpha glass until that look.

I’ll be spending 8 days in Idaho next week comparing all three of these. I make almost 100 whitetail hunts a year plus 10-20 days on destination hunts so binos are in use ALL the time. I take them on vacations, camping trips and road trips or just generally excursions in the woods.

Those days in Idaho will really help me determine what my ideal setup is. I can hand hold 10’s no problem. Both 10’s and 12’s have the forehead rest which hugely improves steadiness. I’ll post photos and a review when I get back but I think I hit a home run on all 3 of these and I will absolutely not be going back to lower tier glass if I can help it.

I may only keep the 10’s and 15’s and sell the 12’s or keep the 12’s and sell the 10’s and 15’s. I’m thinking I will most likely come up with an excuse to keep them all but at least I will know for sure what I like when the trip is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk