Rangefinder issue

zorkieo

FNG
Hi Guys

I have a Leupold RX-1600i. I have an issue which is that there is a bow mode and a TBR (true ballistic range) setting for rifle. In my mind these two should be exactly the same because both are compensating for an angle and it shouldn't matter whether you are using a bow or a rifle. thing is... I ranged something off of my deck at a steep angle and got 23 yards in bow mode and 26 yards in TBR. why would it be different? both are supposed to compensate for angle...

ndayton

WKR
My guess is it is calculating the angle for the speed of the projectile, even the TBR will have different settings for what type of rifle cartridge you are using i.e. 308 vs 300 RUM. An arrow will be 250-300 fps vs a rifle 2600-3100 fps so your drop will be different.

OP
Z

zorkieo

FNG
I don’t think that should matter. Isn’t it just based on angle and distance?

ndayton

WKR
As I understand it, angle and distance are calculated with preprogrammed ballistics to give you a value to adjust your sights for an accurate hit, in your case if you have a bow the range finder calculates that you need to aim for 23 yards to hit the target when in bow mode, and when in rifle mode it calculates 26 to hit with a rifle. Since that range finder is trying to give you a range that leads to an accurate hit it will vary based on the velocity of the projectile. If you review the manual for your model you will see there are different settings depending on what rifle cartridge you are using for angle compensation.

https://cdnp.leupold.com/products/p...br-w_rngfndr_instman.pdf?mtime=20180212072929

The Leupold rangefinder likely takes into account the height of the sights above the arrow or bullet at point of firing. Rifles with scopes are about 1.5" (or slightly higher if high rings are used but still not more than 2" to the cross hair above the centerline of the barrel. The arrow shaft center line to the archer's line of sight is around 4" above the arrow at full draw, depending on how high the anchor is on the face and the string angle.

fwafwow

WKR
I don’t think that should matter. Isn’t it just based on angle and distance?
I think you are right. For the BOW setting, I believe it is just angle to get the shorter distance, as there is no ability to input your arrow speed. I have the same RF and leave it on BOW most of the time. For TBR, I believe you have to input ballistics info. My *guess* is that if you haven't input the ballistics info, the BOW setting is giving you the calculated range (called various things by different manufacturers), and the TBR setting is giving you the line of sight distance.

aron

WKR
Leupolds TBR setting incorporates ballistic parameters along with the angle of inclination. It is not just the horizontal distance. I believe the bow setting is just the horizontal distance.

dtrkyman

WKR
Bow mode has angle compensation, no specific ballistics involved.

I just bought the rx 4 full draw, it has archers advantage program in it, entered my velocity arrow weight and peep height at full draw, it is pretty sweet!