Rebarrel my 270WSM ?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve got an older Savage model 10 in 270WSM. I like it, but really haven’t shot it much. I wanted to do a rifle makeover on it, putting it into a new stock. That got me thinking, why don’t I rebarrel it into something different that might make me shoot it more LOL. I’ve got a 6.5 creed and a 6.8 SPC, but I don’t have a 30 caliber or larger rifle, so I was thinking maybe taking it up to 300WSM? Or perhaps a 338 Federal?
I don’t need to rebarrel it, just playing around with the idea. What would you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you have a mag bolt a 300 wsm is easy and very versatile. I would not hesitate to hunt all North America with it, though I don’t know if that will get you shooting more? Adding a suppressor would get you shooting more than anything.

300 wsm is nice for that, doesn’t give up much going with a 20” barrel then add the Can.

The 338 Fed is a nice idea if you have use for it- short range, brush type hunting for big bodied animals? More of just being something different….

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would load up some 150 VLD and see how it shoots. IMO, the 27 wsm is fantastic and having a 30 caliber isn't necessary unless you are shooting past 1000 yards a lot. The cost/benefit to me keeps me from having a 30 caliber. I don't think you get much more with a 30 wsm over a 7mm that can shoot the 195 EOL or 180 VLD/Hybrids. To shoot the high BC 30 cal bullets at the same velocity you typically need to get more case capacity.

Your Savage WSM will be of the large shank variety, so your choices for prefits are limited, but a smith can rebarrel it.

My definition of fun shooting is being able to spot shots, avoid recoil, but have enough killing velocity out to 1000 yards with the rifle. And, be able to shoot out to 1500 yards for fun.

I have gone with short fat cartridges shooting heavy high BC bullets. Rich Sherman's line of cases has a cult following for a reason. But, you can use the SAUM/PRC variants he wildcats from.
They are true short action cartridges.
They are more efficient on powder/velocity. My 7 Sherman Short Mag burns about 6 grains less powder and 100 fps faster than my prior 7 Rem Mag load.
I like to stay 7mm and under. I can shoot a 180 VLD that has a very high BC and is heavy pill to take game.
I am building a 25 SST that will shoot the very high BC Berger 133 over 3100 fps. That bullet outperforms the 135 and 140 bullets in 6.5mm. You have to get into the Berger 6.5mm 156 grain to match the BC. If you wanted to shoot 6.5 then the 6.5 SST or SS would be my choice.