Recommend a hitch mounted platform for yeti coolers?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a hitch mounted platform that can handle two yeti 210s filled with ice going in amd filled with elk on the way out, that won’t break on a multi state hunting trip.

Suggestions?

Trial153

WKR
Tall task, you looking at bit over 500 pounds on that platform…. I have loaded 175 on hitch with moose quarters and ice blocks and I knew it was back there for sure…the rack had 500 pound load ratting.

I went so far as to get hitch inset that was super short to bring the rack closer to the truck so it didn’t dip as much.

Unless you fabricated something special I don’t see happening

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Tall task, you looking at bit over 500 pounds on that platform…. I have loaded 175 on hitch with moose quarters and ice blocks and I knew it was back there for sure…the rack had 500 pound load ratting.

I went so far as to get hitch inset that was super short to bring the rack closer to the truck so it didn’t dip as much.

Honesty is the best policy 🙏

Shraggs

WKR
Although I rarely shop cabelas anymore, they have a unit I love. 500 lbs, good round rails for lashing and it hinges up if I need it to.

Agree with this! I have a hitch hauler that I can get an igloo 150 quart marine cooler on but certainly not two. It is 42” long x 19” wide. A bit bigger than the 210 you are looking at.

I carry the second cooler inside and packed with dry gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
Yes it is. Been on number of trails we’re folding that up maintain my ground clearance. I had a welding shop tac steel plate to one side so there was zero slop in the hitch to. Sold strong unit

I wouldn't even consider it. Imagine if the worse were to happen and your elk is spread across the highway amidst wrecked cars that collided with your gear cuz your rig failed on a bump. I have an "allegedly heavy duty" hitch cargo carrier and I don't trust it for any real weight.

Attachments

• hitch cargo carrier.jpeg
    hitch cargo carrier.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 39

Bulldawg

WKR
I have 1 210 yeti. If I were going to have 2, and the bed of my truck is full and I need to utilize my hitch to carry the 2 coolers, this is what I am going to plug into the back of my truck.

1628962828305.png

I can't even imagine how it would work for a hitch hauler. That would be an huge obnoxious platform for 2 of those to fit on cause it's a wide footprint. I would much rather tow a trailer than have a 5x6+ foot platform hanging off the back of my truck. And it seems like everyone is posting a 500 pound weight limit, but if you have 420 quarts of cooler filled up, that's 800+ pounds of meat and ice. That's a lot just hanging off the back with no direct support under them.

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on doing any sort of rough roads I’d highly recommend this. Mine would bottom out so bad before this

Attachments

• 5B4C90BE-DCF1-434C-B4C8-980A101DBC42.jpeg
    5B4C90BE-DCF1-434C-B4C8-980A101DBC42.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 48

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
It's pricey but I've had mine for 6 or 7 years now. A buddy went cheap and got the aluminum with the riveted corners and his was shot in a couple years.i also had a steel one for a couple years before it went to crap with rust. And it's made in Michigan which is a plus for me. Screenshot_20210820-085522_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210820-085527_Chrome.jpg

Pakmule

FNG
Spendy but made in USA. Largest one I've found at 69" x 28" Rated for 500 lbs.

Thanks for the call out John! Hit us up and we'll send you some merch. If anyone has any questions about our racks, I'd be happy to answer them.

Marshfly

WKR
Suggestions?

Two full 210 Yetis on a hitch rack is going to break something. Use a trailer or put them inside the truck.

You will either have a lever arm going up 4ft if they are stacked or out 5ft if they are behind each other. Either way, it's going to put 4x or more that weight as leverage on your hitch and the rack over dips in the road.

SWOHTR

WKR
3 y/o thread, not sure if you're looking for suggestions anymore?

Anyways, to contribute, I think the biggest problem is going to be torque applied at the hitch.