Recommend me a zero turn mower

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the majority of brands have the same engine and hydro gear transmissions. So what is the make or break things about a entry level commercial mower you should definitely have or avoid?
As long as it has the Kawasaki you’re fine. The 23-27hp model is bomb proof. Kubota, airens, deer, exmark all use the kawi engine in their commercial models. They hydro gears will be brand specific for the most part.

I bought a 60 inches airens for my 7 acres of pasture, I looked at every brand, model, etc. For the money nothing comes close to the airens and it uses the same kawi engine, 8 gauge deck, triple blades, just overbuilt. Also made in the great usa so huge plus.

Some of the things often seen in residential mowers:

Smaller rear (drive) tires. Smaller front casters. Decks with thinner gauge steel. Smaller drive belts. Lighter gauge blades. Lower hp engines. Lesser hydro pumps and wheel motors. Basic air filter systems. Non-suspension seats. Tougher access to decks and serviceable areas. Thinner welds. Cheaper/lighter spindles. Bushings (vs bearings) in some areas.

I believe it's fair to say that every manufacturer has built its share of problem units. I've seen and known of failures with just about every major line of mowers. There are no perfect machines, but some will please you better than others. Buying a specific brand is no assurance of getting a mower that does what you want and keeps you happy for years. Models within that brand make the difference. So does maintenance....and so does how you use it. Nice lawn of reasonable size and easy mowing? A decent residential unit can be perfect. Just do the maintenance. Big lawn (acreages) with rough areas and hillsides? Now you're looking at high-end residential or commercial units built to do the job and take the additional stress.

Another thing to definitely consider is distance to the servicing dealer and how your machine gets transported. You can buy an Exmark from a dealer 45 miles away and if it needs in-shop service or repairs you'll need to get it there. On the other hand, it makes little sense to buy a mower brand simply because it's 5 minutes away. All of the brands mentioned in this thread can likely provide what you want, but all of them have the potential to disappoint you too. That's just how it is.

Sandstrom

WKR
I own a landscaping company and have 4 guys mowing for me full time. Used to run zero turns, now we exclusively run toro grandstands. They cut as fast as a zero turn, better on hills, more maneuverable, are lighter, have the same decks, and cost about 2k less. All of the big brands make a similar model that you can stand on. I would say the majority of all the other comercial outfits around here all run the stand on units also. One of the main reasons I run toro is my relationship with the dealer. I feel it is good to have a dealer that will take care of you when you need it. The advice on getting a slightly used commercial unit is excellent!!! We typically will run a machine until about 2000 hours and then sell it (at that point they still work, but are starting to need repairs) I would look for one with around 500 or less hours, possibly still with warranty. Also get a Kawasaki!

Good luck in your search,
Ryan

LostArra

WKR
II think the only thing I did was replace one of the front caster wheels as it wouldn’t hold air.
I had that problem due to some rough stuff I was mowing. I swapped out the casters with some Scag "no flat" wheels and problem solved. It also resulted in the wife doing more mowing while I'm at work. She hates checking tire pressures.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I have a very reputable Scag dealer 15 minutes away. I like the price point and size of the Scag Patriot for what I am needing. Also have a hustler dealer close by so I have been looking at the Hustler Fastrak as well. Anybody have any history with either of these machines?

rvalleyp

FNG
I've had both Grasshopper and Gravely, the Grasshopper is the better of the two. If your not going to bag the lawn you should look into a rear discharge. The cut grass get laid down behind the mower instead of blown to the side, you don't get covered in grass clippings and dirt when mowing in windy weather.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new zero turn. Like to have a high end residential mower and been looking at Hustler, Scag, and John Deere. Looking for something that will last and has a good track record for longevity. I have never used a zero turn so I am kind of in the dark here. I mow about 2.5 acres and just want to get the most for my money. Any suggestions?
What's the budget?

I ended up with a gravely, and am happy. Realistically, the major brands all are similar enough that it wouldn't matter to me what brand. At least on the residential or light commercial units, they all use the same engines and drive units.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
What's the budget?

I ended up with a gravely, and am happy. Realistically, the major brands all are similar enough that it wouldn't matter to me what brand. At least on the residential or light commercial units, they all use the same engines and drive units.
Like to stay around $8K-$9K if possible.

I have a very reputable Scag dealer 15 minutes away. I like the price point and size of the Scag Patriot for what I am needing. Also have a hustler dealer close by so I have been looking at the Hustler Fastrak as well. Anybody have any history with either of these machines?
No experience with either unit. Both companies began by targeting the lawn care industry primarily, with subsequent residential models happening years later. I think both have good reputations and you would be buying with confidence. If possible I would want to look at both units and operate them on the parking lot. Definitely consider ergonomics for yourself as they are likely different that way. Dig in to the details and learn how each is built, and what goes into them. Engines: Kawasaki, Vanguard, and Kohler in that order for me. I think studying them...riding around on them....understanding the controls on them...you'll find yourself liking one better. Look at warranties closely because IT MATTERS if things break or fail.

www.lawnsite.com will give you loads of opinionated reading from pros.

Walker. We run an entire fleet of them. Spreading fertilizing to snow removal. Can take a little getting use to but, never been an issue mechanically.

Learn how to turn a zero turn also. Most people whip them around at the end pass. Have to make a 3 point turn if you don't want to rip your yard up.

gelton

WKR
It seems like the majority of brands have the same engine and hydro gear transmissions. So what is the make or break things about a entry level commercial mower you should definitely have or avoid?
For me, it's the deck, caster wheels, and pulleys. The deck on the z540m is thin and the wheels on the deck have welds that bend easily so the wheels bind up, and the drive belt is always coming off the pulley so I am constantly having to drop the deck and put the belt back on and also having to pound the weld on the caster wheel to straighten it out.

My property is really bumpy though, I would assume that on a flat well-manicured lawn you would be okay but still think there are better options for 5-6K and with your budget, you should be fine even if you don't go commercial.

Sandstrom

WKR
One of my biggest competitors (and a good friend) runs scag’s almost exclusively.

Ryan

My old man bought an Exmark way behind back in the 80's when they just hit the market. Every other mfg bitched that "they're heavy". I sold it just a few years ago ago and the only thing wrong with it was that Kawasaki had orphaned the carb. It was built like an f'ing tank.

In my neck of the woods you see two commercial machines. Exmark and Gravely. Both are good for sure. Gravely is just a name at this point, owned by Ariens i think.

I look at zero turns like chainsaws. Pro models are head and shoulders above homeowner units. Buy a good machine and you will be done. I'm an old school gravely fanatic, but for a zero, it would be an Exmark.

Last edited:

bobr1

WKR
I got a SCAG last year and that thing is built solid. I spent a long time doing research on zero turns and wasn’t able to get several brands where I live but there was one SCAG distributor.

Netherman

WKR
I worked at a lawnmower shop in college. We sold toro, scag, and Ferris. I’d avoid kohler motors and be wary of anything liquid cooled. The kohlers never redesigned their block after going from side valve to overhead and that resulted in a lot of blown head gaskets (may have been fixed in 10 years since I’ve been out of the game). We also saw a lot of liquid cooled motors (Kawasaki) that overheated because the owners didn’t keep the radiators clear.

FWIW I mow 3 acres and bought a Ferris IS 600 with the Briggs motor. I’ve had it 5 years and expect to have it another 5 with only regular service. After that hopefully another 5-10 replacing spindles or hydro pumps.

Keep it oiled, greased, and hydro filter changed and whatever you buy will last a long time.

No experience with either unit. Both companies began by targeting the lawn care industry primarily, with subsequent residential models happening years later. I think both have good reputations and you would be buying with confidence. If possible I would want to look at both units and operate them on the parking lot. Definitely consider ergonomics for yourself as they are likely different that way. Dig in to the details and learn how each is built, and what goes into them. Engines: Kawasaki, Vanguard, and Kohler in that order for me. I think studying them...riding around on them....understanding the controls on them...you'll find yourself liking one better. Look at warranties closely because IT MATTERS if things break or fail.

www.lawnsite.com will give you loads of opinionated reading from pros.
This...also look how hard it is service them..my Scag has a on/off valve on the side of the Kawasaki block to drain the oil, gas/oil filters super easy to change, two bolts in on the covers for the hydro filters. I don't take my mower for service, so I like that stuff to be easy to get to.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I own a lawncare company, we only run Ferris. For the entry level commercial I would recommend the isx800. Check out the suspension on that compared to all other machines. It comes in below your budget, and you can get either a kawasaki engine or briggs. If you don't have a Ferris dealer near you, of the brands you mentioned I would go with Scag. I've heard JD has a terrible ride and breaks down frequently from a buddy.