Recommendation for a tarp for my pack - mostly going to use to put quarters on but

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Very happy with my VIAM multicloth tarp. The stuff sack it came with is almost impossible to get it back in, but a kifaru small pullout is perfect.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve made a small tarp with some quality silnylon. This one is made wider, so no need to create a seam if you just need an emergency shelter and meat care spot. You can order 3 yards of this, roll the edges and add some grosgrain tie outs and you’d be ahead of the game for cost and quality.
I just can’t bring myself to hang out in nature and then break out a giant piece of single use plastic I’m just going to throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
I’ve made a small tarp with some quality silnylon. This one is made wider, so no need to create a seam if you just need an emergency shelter and meat care spot. You can order 3 yards of this, roll the edges and add some grosgrain tie outs and you’d be ahead of the game for cost and quality.
I just can’t bring myself to hang out in nature and then break out a giant piece of single use plastic I’m just going to throw away.

This material doesn't look like it's made for tarps....

I keep looking at materials for a DIY tarp, but it looks like at best I'll save 30% over just purchasing a quality one. Does anyone have some numbers on one they've made that was worth it?

RELIANT

FNG
I just use one of the big contractor garbage bags, light, cheap, and has many uses.

EdP

WKR
I don't much like the idea of an emergency tarp that smells like blood and meat, either to use for shelter or to carry in my pack. It sounds like an invitation to another kind of emergency. A plastic contractor bag is what I carry. Sheet plastic is available too.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Oops, you're right. This would be a better fit for tarp use. It's also wider. Three yards of this, and a few feet of grosgrain ribbon would be less than $50, and you could wait for a sale. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-1-oz-silpoly-xl?variant=43872833372330
I figure a Kifaru sheep tarp is $150, and I like the option of doing things myself. But if that's not for you--there's some good options from Light Outdoors, Simply Light, Kifaru, etc.
For what it's worth, the blood I've gotten on my tarps comes right out with a soak in a bucket and then a wash in the washing machine. If you can't get it off your tarp, it's probably still on your bag, your pants...
To each their own.
I do like the bigger 8.5x8.5 tarp from Yama Mountain Gear which also made with the 20d silpoly instead of the silnylon.

CMF

WKR
Oops, you're right. This would be a better fit for tarp use. It's also wider. Three yards of this, and a few feet of grosgrain ribbon would be less than $50, and you could wait for a sale. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-1-oz-silpoly-xl?variant=43872833372330
I figure a Kifaru sheep tarp is $150, and I like the option of doing things myself. But if that's not for you--there's some good options from Light Outdoors, Simply Light, Kifaru, etc.
For what it's worth, the blood I've gotten on my tarps comes right out with a soak in a bucket and then a wash in the washing machine. If you can't get it off your tarp, it's probably still on your bag, your pants...
To each their own.
I do like the bigger 8.5x8.5 tarp from Yama Mountain Gear which also made with the 20d silpoly instead of the silnylon.
Yea, that material looks worth it vs the kifaru one. It would end up a little wider and I would just go ahead to 120" long and end up ~70$.
I did the math on Dyneema comparable to the zpacks and the material alone was more than I could buy zpacks tarp.

I would just wash it in a bucket with some peroxide and a little soap if it got blood-soaked, same as pack.

Read1t48

WKR
I have wanted to use the heavy duty contractor bags, like those from Home Depot or Costco, but I’ve heard they contain pesticides, and have not wanted to stick my meat on them. If this is true, are there any contractor bags that don’t contain these pesticides?

CMF

WKR
I have wanted to use the heavy duty contractor bags, like those from Home Depot or Costco, but I’ve heard they contain pesticides, and have not wanted to stick my meat on them. If this is true, are there any contractor bags that don’t contain these pesticides?
First I've heard of Pesticides. You definitely have to look for unscented. I can't imagine a company spending money on pesticides for trash bags. And if they did, they'd have some big label to make it look like a benefit.
According to the google

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Near Zero waterproof footprint of amazon are what I've used for awhile. I keep it in my lid so I can use it for a quick glassing shelter, ground cloth for the tent, and I'm sure it would work to keep meat clean as well.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I’ve never heard of the pesticides but the reason I stopped buying them was because of all the perfume they add. I think I bought at least 5 boxes one hunting season just looking for unscented bags. That’s why I use the clear sheeting now. If there are Pfas on the plastics used I would think the meat would need to be exposed for prolonged periods to get a true transfer.

Sam's club sells unscented