Recommendations for a narrow pack

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a narrow pack. I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'6". I run snowshoe hare and get pretty far from the road. Always bring my pack to add/remove layers, water, snacks..... My trouble is my pack doesn't allow for easy carry of my shotgun on my shoulder. it's pushed out by the pack and always falling off my shoulder. I'm looking for recommendations on a narrower pack that it will make it easier to shoulder my shotgun and not have to fight to keep in on my shoulder.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have

2ski

WKR
Try the Kifaru gunbearer for carrying the shotgun. There's a universal one that will work on most non Kifaru packs.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Kuiu with the firearm carrier. I have a 2300 bag with the hip belt pockets. If you're looking for a bit more room, there is the 4000 Pro LT.

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
The 14'r looks like a great option. Probably a little more than I want to shell out right now, but I will keep looking at the classifieds for a used one.

2ski, great option, but i alternate between carrying in my hands and throwing on my shoulder. I'm actively hunting and trying to position myself for a shot as the dogs circle the hare so need it to be immediately available.. If I were transporting the shotgun to a spot to start hunting, your idea would be perfect.

Thanks for all of the ideas and keep them coming.

I liked the Spike Camp (predecessor to the 14’er) better than the 14’er. The lower horizontal access was better for me than the partial front zipper access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
A little of both, but more if a narrow pack so I can sling my shotgun on my shoulder.

Agustus

FNG
I'll echo the 14'r for a narrow pack that's absolutely great for it's intended purpose. It's not a pack that'll carry significant weight but it'll carry enough. I use mine as a daypack for archery whitetails. I frequently strap my climbing sticks to the back and predator platform in a grab-it. I've brought out quite a few boned out whitetails using it and it just keeps on ticking. Well made pack as you would expect from the folks at kifaru

OP
R

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm amazed at the amount of support for the 14'r!!

Northpark, It would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the offer.

14'r with a gun bearer is exactly what you describe needing. After a little bit of time getting used to carrying your gun in front- it is so easy to get it into a shooting position. Try it, you will like it.

S.Clancy

WKR
I would just buy a 30L mountaineering/alpine climbing pack ftom Black Diamond/Mammut etc. Those packs are designed to be very narrow for climbing purposes and should fit your needs for around $150. I even packed out an entire mule deer buck in a Black Diamond Speed 30 ..

hikenhunt

WKR
I haven't personally used this, it was posted in another thread and peaked my interest. It gets good reviews and might help keep your gun on your shoulder with minimal investment: