Rediing FL die for a shoulder bump?

robtattoo

WKR
Long story short, i have a couple hundred rounds I previously loaded for my Savage Swede. I no longer have the rifle, but built another based on a Winchester action.

The loaded rounds I have are just a couple of thou to long at the shoulder to easily chamber. I CAN chamber them, but it's super stiff on the handle.

If I were to remove the expander/decapping assembly from my FL sizing die, would it be possible to use it in the same manner as a body die & simply run the load ammo through it, bumping the shoulder back? (I know, not recommended with a body die but let's be honest..... we all do it) Or would I have to pull all the bullets & dump the powder?

From my understanding, the FL die would resize the outside dimension of the neck & i'm concerned I might create an excessive tension issue. Does that make sense?

Ram94

WKR
Yeah it would try to size your neck down a lot and with bullets seated, it would either get stuck in the die or cause neck tension issues. But that said, I’ve never personally tried it. Body dies are fairly cheap if you want to go that route instead.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
If you used a type s bushing die and removed the bushing itd probably work.

Before going to all the trouble, have you shot those loads through the rifle yet? Have they proven themselves to be a good load in said rifle?
If so and all is well and acceptable @rayporter is right. I've used a redding body die to accomplish this before.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Before going to all the trouble, have you shot those loads through the rifle yet? Have they proven themselves to be a good load in said rifle?
If so and all is well and acceptable @rayporter is right. I've used a redding body die to accomplish this before.

I haven't, in fact I haven't shot the rifle yet. My plan was to burn through most of these for barrel break in, rough sighting & fireforming, then work on my actual accuracy load later.

At Ray's suggestion, i'm going to load up & try a dummy round first. This isn't a bushing die, just a regular fixed FL.
If I have to pull, I have to pull. It's not the end of the world at all, I was just pondering a simpler option.

Gotcha, yes trying a dummy round first seems to be a great starting point. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

LaHunter

WKR
I would not recommend attempting this with a live round. I know it is not likely, but if that round somehow ignited, it would be bad for you.
If you survived, you would constantly have to explain your disfigured face & blindness by telling everyone how you put a live round into a sizing die trying to resize it and how it blew up. Then they would say, didn't people warn you about that and didn't you know that was not wise?
Also, on a regular FL die, I doubt you will be able to run the cartridge up into the die to bump the shoulder due to the bullet / neck of the cartridge making contact.

wapitibob

WKR
A stiff bolt when loading makes for a stuck bolt after firing. If it was a light bolt, I'd shoot them. If you're doing much reloading a competition die set is the way to go; separate body size and shoulder bump from the neck sizing. Plus, a fl sizer can crush the necks .010 - .015 before pulling the ball back thru and that'll work the necks to death.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Ok, so I tried it with an inert round & it's a hard no. The case neck gets crushed deeply into the bullet. Tightly enough that I would be seriously in danger of an overpressure situation. From what I can measure, a fatal overpressure situation.

I'm occasionally dumb, but I try never to be stupid. Having looked around the intrawebz, I found Natchez had a 6.5x55 body die in stock. Literally the only one I found anywhere. I won't have to pull everything & it'll let me bump the shoulders safely. I already have a neck sizing die, so i'll try the 2 step sizing approach in future.

308ghost

FNG
Ok, so I tried it with an inert round & it's a hard no. The case neck gets crushed deeply into the bullet. Tightly enough that I would be seriously in danger of an overpressure situation. From what I can measure, a fatal overpressure situation.

I'm occasionally dumb, but I try never to be stupid. Having looked around the intrawebz, I found Natchez had a 6.5x55 body die in stock. Literally the only one I found anywhere. I won't have to pull everything & it'll let me bump the shoulders safely. I already have a neck sizing die, so i'll try the 2 step sizing approach in future.
You may need to look into the Redding shell plate kit. Maybe not but remember this option in case. This https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101253343.