Reinforced holster belt nessary.

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I like to use a drop leg holster during archery season for my sidearm. I have it set up to where it is comfortable and doesn't slide down too much, but this past season I noticed that the weight of the gun and holster were still pulling one side of the belt down. Are one of the rigid belts such as a 5.11 or we the people, etc worth the investment and would this possibly solve the issue?

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think a different belt is going to solve your problem, most drop leg holsters mount on the belt and again on one's leg, motion is constantly putting stress on your belt and causing your belt to pull down, the weight of your sidearm adds to this stress. I don't know what you carry, but try a smaller sidearm and an IWB style holster or a different style holster for your specific sidearm. Like you, when I bow hunt, I like a sidearm, and I carry it in a IWB holster at the 3 to 4 o'clock position. For me at least, I have found it to be the most comfortable, even with a pack on, and still accessible. Hope this helps.

I run my gun strong side hip on a UBL. Not a fan of drop legs with straps for long walks.

among other issues the flexion at you hip is going to pull your pants lower when the leg strap is pressured by your stride. Another contributing factor is your build. Hip to waste ratio. Is there a “shelf” or a narrow area for the belt to tighten around so to speak. Suspenders might help. I use them sometimes. I use a nylon riggers belt that is stiff. It works for me. You can get stiffer belts but I don’t know if that will solve the issue And they come with their own problems. Pain in the ass to thread through belt loops Among other things.

bat-cave

WKR
The idea of the drop leg holster was appealing to me as well, but once I tried it and had similar issues ... I moved away from it. I did use a drop leg for a while in non hunting applications as I like how you get zero movement on the draw stroke, but eventually I found that a g-code mount would drop it just enough below the belt line w/o the need for the PITA leg strap (which also interferes with pockets etc ...)

IMHO, a good gun belt is worth it's weight in gold for EDC. Sure you can carry w/o one, but for EDC I've found a Nexbelt (several brands out there) are awesome as they are so easy to adjust on the fly. I'm not a huge fan of IWB while hunting as a pack belt over the top isn't comfortable for me and limits my access. I tried Bino harness mounts as well, but have ended up just mounting the holster to my pack belt on a G-Code adapter. I can then pop it off in a few seconds and attach it to a belt mount if I want to drop my pack, but retain my pistol.

I like to use a drop leg holster during archery season for my sidearm. I have it set up to where it is comfortable and doesn't slide down too much, but this past season I noticed that the weight of the gun and holster were still pulling one side of the belt down. Are one of the rigid belts such as a 5.11 or we the people, etc worth the investment and would this possibly solve the issue?
This post screams that you need a better belt. A belt intentionally designed as a gun belt. Not just something labeled 'gun belt'. The belts you listed are not the best. I would look at Core Essentials, which is a nylon reinforced ratcheting belt or Beltman belts if you like all leather. Another option is a chest mounted holster. Hill People Gear makes a neat little gun bag you wear on your chest. Think of it as a backpack sized for your gun that you wear on your chest. Another option is the Alaskan Sportsman chest holster from Diamond D. Lots of options on the market. Options are good.

ElPollo

WKR
Yeah, even thick leather belts don’t work well for carrying a gun. They might work at first, but they eventually stretch and soften. I much prefer the stiffer synthetic belts that are designed for the purpose.

They’re are lots of options on these. The one I’m currently using is a Blue Alpha Gear Minimalist. It is double thick, stitched, heavy webbing without a Kevlar or steel core, and the buckle is a simple D ring that the end of the belt goes through and secures back on itself with Velcro. In my experience, the gadgetry-like ratchet buckles are a potential failure point. If it is held together with screws or bolts, they will eventually come out. Also, my experience with the Kevlar and steel core belts is that the cores will eventually break. I used a NexBelt for about a year. I liked it, but I lost a screw from the buckle in the backcountry in less than 6 months and the core recently broke just behind the buckle. The Minimalist belt is pretty new so I don’t know how it will hold up yet. But after about a month of wear I’m pretty happy with it.

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for then input. It sounds like regardless, I will get my act together and invest in a decent belt. I like the idea of a rigid attachment point like the UBL and having it sit just below my hip belt.

I wear a bino harness so I'd rather not have another later of straps and junk to deal with when changing layers.

As for build, I am on the slim side so my belt does have a 'ledge" to sit on.

And yes the drop leg rigs are a PITA when it comes to pockets. If I'm wearing my attack pants I essentially lose 2 pockets.

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I run my gun strong side hip on a UBL. Not a fan of drop legs with straps for long walks.

among other issues the flexion at you hip is going to pull your pants lower when the leg strap is pressured by your stride. Another contributing factor is your build. Hip to waste ratio. Is there a “shelf” or a narrow area for the belt to tighten around so to speak. Suspenders might help. I use them sometimes. I use a nylon riggers belt that is stiff. It works for me. You can get stiffer belts but I don’t know if that will solve the issue And they come with their own problems. Pain in the ass to thread through belt loops Among other things.
@Desk Jockey

Does your setup with the UBL provide enough clearance for a hip belt on a pack? I'm thinking of going a similar route, but I'm going to have to source the pieces online so I just wanted to check before hand.

@Desk Jockey

Does your setup with the UBL provide enough clearance for a hip belt on a pack? I'm thinking of going a similar route, but I'm going to have to source the pieces online so I just wanted to check before hand.
Yes. I use the low ride version. It comes in high, mid and low From safariland. Other companies make them but I am not personally familiar with them. The UBL is $20. Buy that first before you buy forks and plates and try it out. You also need to be thoughtful about pouches on your hip belt on your draw side. You don’t want anything riding above your holster that will foul your draw. You also need to be thoughtful about wearing your pack with the hip belt unbuckeld as that can foul upyour draw as well If the belt dangles in your way.

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I figure this is the best time to mess around and get all these little things sorted out.

Take a hard look at the Core Essentials belt I mentioned in my earlier post. I've got a drawer full of 'gun belts' and this has proven to be my favorite. It's ability to adjust on the fly has made it my favorite hunting belt as well. I cut mine a couple of clicks longer than I really need to even with an IWB holster and that allows me to layer insulation for cold weather. Works great after a trip to the buffet as well.

schmalzy

WKR
@Desk Jockey

Another option that works awesome for me; I took an ivory holster and extended the malice clips as high as they would go with the holster as low as it would go. Wear a thin belt and can barely tell it’s there. Wears right below the pack belt, doesn’t interfere. The curve of the ivory holster goes great against the leg. It’s not the quickest draw but the trade off is great to carry a pistol and not have it tied to your pack or on your chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Take a hard look at the Core Essentials belt I mentioned in my earlier post. I've got a drawer full of 'gun belts' and this has proven to be my favorite. It's ability to adjust on the fly has made it my favorite hunting belt as well. I cut mine a couple of clicks longer than I really need to even with an IWB holster and that allows me to layer insulation for cold weather. Works great after a trip to the buffet as well.
I have always been curious but also skeptical of those track belts. If they hold up though then great. I checked out their website and they seem reasonably priced so I might try them out.

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Another option that works awesome for me; I took an ivory holster and extended the malice clips as high as they would go with the holster as low as it would go. Wear a thin belt and can barely tell it’s there. Wears right below the pack belt, doesn’t interfere. The curve of the ivory holster goes great against the leg. It’s not the quickest draw but the trade off is great to carry a pistol and not have it tied to your pack or on your chest.

Unfortunately they dont make anything for my gun from what I saw. Maybe special order. I will probably end up going the safariland route.

schmalzy

WKR
Unfortunately they dont make anything for my gun from what I saw. Maybe special order. I will probably end up going the safariland route.

What gun are carrying? I’d give them a call, pretty cool dudes.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE my Kenai chest holster from
Gunfighters Inc. Super comfortable. Still figuring our the best way to combine it with a bino chest rig. My other options I really like is a FCS system from BlackRhino Concealment that uses the Safariland UBL/QLS system. The midride sits JUST below my Kidaru waist belt. The elasys Nuhts strap is optional. It does pull a bit but the elastic greatly minimizes this pulling while hiking. Not enough to bother me. As for belts, can’t say enough good things about Blue Alpha belts. MASSIVE difference in performance between a real gun belt and a regular thick leather belt. I Only wear the hybrid belt anymore. Very comfortable and pants don’t sag when wearing gear like pistols or tools on waist.

I have always been curious but also skeptical of those track belts. If they hold up though then great. I checked out their website and they seem reasonably priced so I might try them out.
I ordered mine last year around this time and it very quickly became my favorite belt. So far so good after a year of almost daily wear. You can also order replacement belts in different colors at a reduced price and change around hardware. I figure if the click stops ever wear out, I'll simply switch the hardware onto a new belt. I'm really impressed with the system. One thing though is I feel like 40oz might be getting near the top end of carrying capacity for which the belt is designed to comfortably carry. L frame yes, but N frame Smiths might be getting a little much. Just my opinion. They also make some heavier duty belts, but then you're getting up into belts that aren't comfortable for everyday wear.

Wrench

WKR
If you ever try a bison tactical belt....you will have a hard time wearing leather ever again.