Release question

DuckDogDr

WKR
New to the wheelie world

What are benefits of thumb release vs standard release .

fatlander

WKR
30,000 foot view:

They’re both mechanical release aids. Index finger activated aids are cheaper and strapped to you. Thumb buttons are more expensive and generally not strapped to the archer. Both do the same job. Both can lead you to target panic if you don’t shoot them with proper back tension.

Getting more detailed:

Thumb buttons are easier to execute with back tension given their geometry more or less is the same as a hinge or tension activated release. It’s pretty difficult to learn proper shot execution without a tension activated release in my honest opinion. Archers can pretty easily transition back and forth between a button and a hinge without it changing their anchor, DL, peep height, and POI; especially if the release have the same neck length and handle geometry. If you switch from a handheld tension release to an index, your POI, tune, anchor, peep height, and DL usually change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
By the number of thumb releases for sale on AT classifieds it must be a slow journey to find the right one.

Reactions: Zac

Luked

WKR
I have recently switched to a Thumb button from an index.
I have shot index for years. Have shot a hinge in the past also quite a bit but was years ago and I got away from it.
Now with starting to shoot a thumb more, it has really taken some work to get back in to the swing of things with one.
It did signifigantly change my POI over the index, about 3" at 20 yeards. So it is a big anchor change.
I have been fighting mine some and just last night after talking to a local guy who is really big into things that got me the advise i needed.
My shot rounds last night were some of the best i have had in months.

As far as a lot being for sale. They do take some experimenting to find one that feels comfortable. Think I am on like release number 4 with a handheld and think i found one I like.

jbelz

FNG
Like most things in archery, the benefit of a thumb button can only be determined after spending time shooting with one and looking at the results. I shoot better groups with a thumb button – Tim Gillingham is a much better archer than I am, and he uses an index release. Find one you might like, try it for a while, and see if your groups tighten up.

nphunter

WKR
The biggest advantage to me is for hunting. No more sweaty wrists, no taking it off and on to add or remove layers or taking a dump, no more dangling or bouncing around and catching on brush and stuff while hiking, no more catching on the steering wheel driving from spot to spot calling. I hunt for 60+ days each year and spend a few minutes at best drawing my bow during hunting season, why have something strapped to you for hundreds of hours you’re using for a coupe of seconds?

It is also easier to draw a bow back because you’re engaging more muscles. I have ulnar tunnel in the right arm and my fingers would go numb all the time with the wrist strap as well and it puts excessive pressure in those nerves when drawing back.

I will never hunt with a wrist strap again personally. I shot back tension when using a wrist release and shot one really well. I switched due to the ease of drawing with one to me after having shoulder surgery.

A hinge is also a good tool to help ensure a person is shooting with back tension and switching between a hinge and thumb is more natural than going from a hinge to a trigger.

I hear things like thumb buttons are loud, or they take too long to connect to a loop. I’ve never felt that a hinge has made me feel rushed and have clipped to a loop 10 yards from an elk and he had no idea. I use to keep a spare in the pack but now I just keep one in the truck, I’ve been packing one for years now and have yet to lose or forget it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tried a handheld release and hated it. I was more apt to punch the trigger and was way less accurate with it than a wrist strap. The wrist strap is way easier to draw and shoot for me than a handheld release. A wrist strap release is a perfect release for hunting for me. I will never use anything else.

Zac

WKR
I tried a handheld release and hated it. I was more apt to punch the trigger and was way less accurate with it than a wrist strap. The wrist strap is way easier to draw and shoot for me than a handheld release. A wrist strap release is a perfect release for hunting for me. I will never use anything else.
Yeah punching an index is a lot better than punching a thumb for sure.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
By the number of thumb releases for sale on AT classifieds it must be a slow journey to find the right one.
People like to believe that the latest and greatest will improve their shooting. A tension release is the easiest to learn. After that a hinge, then thumb button, then wrist strap index finger.

Also, executing a shot properly is easier with a release that has a pretty heavy weight and no perceptible movement in the trigger.

Good archers can execute with any quality release regardless of the style. When learning, it is nice to have a tension, hinge, and thumb button that work together as a set with the same grip, head length, etc. I have good luck with the nock on releases all shooting the same point of impact (2 smooth, nock2it, and silverback). There are others that will work similarly.

Once you get the hang of things, it is pretty handy to hunt with a wrist strap release. You want something that can set tension and travel independently, so you can set tension heavy and travel to as near zero as possible. It is also the hardest set-up to keep from punching. The reason most people get target panic is they start with an index finger release and think they are going to shoot a bow like a rifle. After that they have to get rid of bad habits and relearn.

That is where you see the buying and selling of releases happen. In all honesty, I have had very few quality releases. If you can set the travel to zero and the trigger tension heavy, you can learn to shoot it in a few hundred shots. People think the reason they can't shoot is because they don't have the magic release. In reality it is about the technique and level of practice.

Edit to add: I do recommend buying off the classifieds here or AT. It will save you a pretty penny if you end up not liking something.

Pretty much most people have covered it... my 2 cents...there are advantages and disadvantages to both. It's more of chocolate/vanilla thing really. I don't think one is more superior than the other, just different.

Thumb: Depending on the model...can leave it clipped to the D loop leaving your hand free to do any number of things....range, glass, eat...ect. Also when hiking it can be put in the pocket, so your wrist is free from some flopping piece of metal. This is a convenient thing. I have clanged my index on so many things, clangs on the climbing sticks, clangs on the range finder out of the pocket, or the bino's....Is a thumb more accurate??? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the use by the archer (in my opinion). Some can shoot it very accurately without command and use that back tension....some can command it (think punch) and do it well and accurately- ala Kyle Douglas. The down side of it not being attached to you is you can lose it. It can also be more difficult and slower to attach to the D loop (some models are more challenging than others). Many testimonies of the woods eating a $300 release because you forgot it while out or it got snagged by a tree branch 2 miles in. Also sucks to drop it out of your tree stand cuz your hands are cold and you fumble it out of said pocket....you can get thumbs with lanyards, but that defeats the purpose of having a free hand. Many are loud when firedl, depending on the model ( I never cared about this, some do). Many thumbs also make a "click" in order to load it or cock it so it can be fired (some louder than others). That noise can be problematic when a deer is 5 yards below your tree stand and snuck in....

Index-You don't lose it because it's attached to you. It's also annoying to have it attached to you ( to me anyway). As previously stated it can clang....on.....everything....(some have a way to lock it in placed to prevent this, but not all). In general I think it's easier and faster to attach to the D loop. The open hook style can be done without looking at the D loop and is an advantage when an animal is staring in your general direction and it can be done silently as well. The alligator clamp style is more annoying to attach and also take off the string if you need to do a range check or whatever...Can be shot just as accurately as a thumb, but is more prone to target panic. Generally cheaper than a thumb. Even the really expensive index releases are often half that of an expensive thumb....$150-199 compared to $250-$350.

But as others have said, one isn't more accurate than another. They are triggered differently to release the arrow. Each person has a comfort and some fit others more than most.

I have shot hinge, thumb, and index. Currently shoot an index (Scott S2) because when my form breaks down or I target panic and punch, it is more forgiving for me and my misses are less.

Try it out, see if you like it.

I have shot the Scott Little Goose for years. Just picked up a Stan Onnex on AT last week. Second day of shooting and things are going well. Definite learning curve but as a previous post stated the draw is way easier with Stan. Time will tell the story if it doesn't pan out, then I am sure I can get it sold for what I paid for it. Good time of the year to test it out.

Scoot

WKR
I shoot a thumb release- have for a long time. If recommend to anyone to shoot an open hook index finger release. That's what I started my son on.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve shot them all. Hinge, back tension, thumb button, hydraulic and index. They make good ones in all. Go with what you’re confident in. Shoot several and decide. I prefer a thumb button for hunting. Sadly many years of rubber gloves has affected my hands. I recently went back to an index. Middle finger hurt so bad in the draw with a button. I just couldn’t do it anymore. If I could suggest some releases. Stan onnex is an amazing release hinge, button or back tension. Carter wise choice is also nice. B3 ghost hinge is nice. Lastly Spott hog wise guy index is my favorite index. Best index in the market in my opinion. Also. Don’t be afraid of new releases. Don’t over think it.

Be happy, shoot index!

This might be the ultimate answer

I've shot both. Currently shoot a thumb button. The learning curve for the thumb button and back tension release is much higher. You'll definitely be more prone to develop target panic with a thumb button. Both can be accurate.

I shot a Carter Wise Choice for years but got to where I was punching the button. Recently moved to an Onnex as it has the ability to adjust the angle and position of the button. I got it where it sits in the joint of my thumb touching the pad of my hand. I can now touch my index finger and thumb together and the release button is barely even noticeable being there. But when I pull through my shot it is grabbing and surprise releasing without me really feeling it happen at all.

I've tried to like an index release as I can let go of the release entirely and just dangle my finger in front of the trigger to pull through. And I like to anchor in the notch behind my ear lobe. But they just don't work for me.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I would prefer a thumb button release for hunting for many reasons stated above. But due to pitching too many baseballs, I have a 15+% right arm-elbow disability that prevents me from using a thumb release. Cannot get the back of my hand to my cheek, with hand-arm turned as such. And doing so, my right elbow flies out away from my body, instead of straight line back of shoulder.
Thus, rely on my Spott Hogg Wise Guy, it's great using back tension.

Tommy John surgery was too new back when my injury occurred.