Reloading advice: bullets? Vary for target/hunting?

What to reload?

• Berger for both target/hunt

• Barnes for both target/hunt

• Berger target, Barnes hunt

• Neither, something else (comment?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

cueva

FNG
Hey guys, somewhat newer hunter here. Just started learning how to reload from my in-laws. I have a tikka t3x super lite in .308 (1:11 twist). We using Lapua brass & Varget if that helps.

They mostly shoot for fun, target, practice, etc (not so much Hunting) and mainly use Bergers. Since im mostly focusing on hunting then they’re recommending I use Berger VLD hunting 168gr bullets and that I use this for both target and hunting. I on the other hand, have been reading on my own and have heard great things on Barnes TTSX 168gr bullets. What I especially love is that they’re lead-free, which I know my wife will love as she’s finicky about that stuff haha.

So I’m looking for advice…the bergers are $75/box of 100, Barnes $47/box of 50. Aka Bergers are .75c a bullet and Barnes are .94c a bullet. My in-laws are saying that reloading the Barnes and shooting them as my target & hunting round will end up way expensive. I suggested shooting the Bergers as target and Barnes as hunting, but they said it’s best to be consistent with the same ammo for both, plus allows for good data collection, along with how they have slightly different G1 BCs which will affect how I shoot (Barnes .47, Berger .498) thus changing consistency too.

What do you guys recommend? Shoot just the Barnes? Just the VLDs? Split it up, VLDs for target, Barnes for hunting? Or maybe a different bullet you recommend? Super new hunter and still learning lots so any help would be super great, thank you!!!

TaperPin

WKR
As a practical matter, it’s relatively easy to just have two different loads, but not all copper bullets like to have regular jacket fouling in the bore at the same time - I’ve never had the problem, but more than one copper bullet maker suggests cleaning all fouling out of the bore before shooting copper bullets.

Many guys like to have a range gun and a separate hunting gun, which simplifies things.

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I don’t think having more than one load per gun would be a bad thing but…I think trying to shoot a lead based bullet and a copper out of the same gun could be problematic

sdupontjr

WKR
I use 130 ttsx and 155 lapua scenars in both my Tikkas. Have killed with both and the scenars are labeled a target bullet. Both are pushed with varget.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Target load and a hunting load for all my rifles. I usually match an SST with a Barnes TTSX. The SST could also be used for both or longer shots where velocity has fallen off. SST are always accurate in my experience.

Lawnboi

WKR
If I were in your shoes, I would just shoot 178 eldm/x exclusively.

I think Berger is a makes a more consistent bullet, but I’m not sure you’re going to shoot the difference in a lightweight tikka.

Personally I’d skip the Barnes unless forced to shoot non lead. It’s an inefficient bullet that’s expensive and not know particularly for consistency.

OP
cueva

cueva

FNG
If I were in your shoes, I would just shoot 178 eldm/x exclusively.

I think Berger is a makes a more consistent bullet, but I’m not sure you’re going to shoot the difference in a lightweight tikka.

Personally I’d skip the Barnes unless forced to shoot non lead. It’s an inefficient bullet that’s expensive and not know particularly for consistency.
I thought the Barnes are some of the best out there though? I feel like I see tons of people shooting ttsx. Why eld-x? I’ve heard a lot on it too. Better than the berger hunting you think then?

168 eldm for everything is what I used to do when I shot alot of 308.. I have since switched to 6mm 108 eldm for everything

Spoonbill

WKR
I thought the Barnes are some of the best out there though? I feel like I see tons of people shooting ttsx. Why eld-x? I’ve heard a lot on it too. Better than the berger hunting you think then?

This thread helped me understand bullet selection. It is worth a read. If you shop around you an usually find factory seconds which will save you money on practice bullets.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Huh?! I strongly disagree with this. Barness ttsx shoot great and kill very well. They are also very reasonably priced for a premium bullet. You checked out Nosler pricing lately?

The ttsx may not best long range bullet due to being 'harder', but it doesn't sound like you have much personal experience with them.

Lawnboi

WKR
Huh?! I strongly disagree with this. Barness ttsx shoot great and kill very well. They are also very reasonably priced for a premium bullet. You checked out Nosler pricing lately?

The ttsx may not best long range bullet due to being 'harder', but it doesn't sound like you have much personal experience with them.
I have killed big game with Barnes ttsx, and specifically the bullet talked about in this thread, the 168.

I’m not giving nosler my money either.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
It doesnt matter tbh. At this point with prices just find a good bullet for your rifle and buy a barrels worth of supplies and keep 100+loaded at a time. Youll never have to wonder which load is for what if you only have one.

300 wm i bought all 210gn bergers
270 140gn accubond
6.5 140 hornady eld

Ive never regretted using either of these bullets whether it be for game or target.

is there a better bullet for xyz, not really. If your confident with that load than nothing really beats that, it just has different advantages.

Anyone argueing bullet choice beyond that is just splitting hairs to scratch a new itch.

Just because they’re expensive doesn’t make them “premium”. There’s enough evidence out there to suggest against using a copper bullet.

Pretty bad answers here all around.

The real solution is to "agree" with the in-laws and use that as a justification for getting a hunting only rifle.

One load per rifle. Unlimited rifles per person.

For me I'm going all ELD-Ms in each of my calibers (except 77gr TMKs in 223).

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Just because they’re expensive doesn’t make them “premium”. There’s enough evidence out there to suggest against using a copper bullet.
Seriously? The TTSX is a stone cold killer. Run them light and fast and they upgrade any caliber where a heavier lead bullet is used. I will also put their accuracy up against any hunting bullet. Seat them deep (.050) and run them fast. If they don't shoot you have Rifle problem.

I know this is a longer range/TMK-centric site but there are many younger shooters that read here to learn. To say the TTSX isn't a great hunting bullet is BS and a disservice.

Take care

Harvey_NW

WKR
The Barnes lovers are proud so they have no problem telling you they're the best, the conflict arises when you start trying to define the metrics they do better than cup and core bullets. They produce drastically smaller wound channels, have lower BC, have much higher velocity requirement for optimum performance, are more temperamental to barrel fouling (I question this one but see it often), and are more expensive.

It also depends on how far you plan to shoot, do some research on the velocity needed for the Barnes to reliably upset and plug the numbers into a calculator to see the limitations. Most Bergers kill just fine, but a tipped cup and core is hard to beat for reliable performance on game.

Seriously? The TTSX is a stone cold killer. Run them light and fast and they upgrade any caliber where a heavier lead bullet is used. I will also put their accuracy up against any hunting bullet. Seat them deep (.050) and run them fast. If they don't shoot you have Rifle problem.

I know this is a longer range/TMK-centric site but there are many younger shooters that read here to learn. To say the TTSX isn't a great hunting bullet is BS and a disservice.

Take care
People run heavier bullets to get better BCs. I might agree out to most distances it really don’t matter. I won’t disagree that they kill, but I’ve yet to see a mono bullet or bonded bullet have exception tissue damage. Standard cup and core are far superior imo.

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
How much do you plan on shooting? You're looking at about $0.20/round difference. Just multiply that by the number of rounds you're going to shoot to see what you would save by changing to Bergers and then determine if that is worth it to you to have to do load additional load development.

Keep in mind that there is value in practicing with what you're going to be hunting with and getting to know how that load shoots in that rifle.

I have two loads for my 6.5 CM. Practice load is a Hornady 123 BTHP and hunting load is a 124 Hammer Hunter. Price difference is about $.80 per bullet.

I have the scope adjustments written in my reload journal.