Reloading Equipment

OP
mfllood3800
Good info. I am shooting the 210 and 212 eldx. My brass is Nosler
Im looking more at the T7 Redding press for convenience of the dies in the turret.
I've already got the bushing figured out for my brass (neck is 338 so I went with a 337 bushing).
These rounds shoot sub MOA so if I can find this sweet spot It will be a winner.
Cant find the Fed215 grade M's. Did find some 215 standard M's.

The dies I picked out are Competition Redding dies , 3 set.
I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet as my price doubled, but I don't want to buy something I wont use later on.

Has anyone tried the Redding Hunter dies?
These don't use the bushing and are suppose to cycle better? But don't have the bushing so I assume not as precise. Brownells was giving me 10% off and free shipping ($100 savings) but it expired at midnight I guess.
Every day they send me an email wanting me to finish my order, but now its only $15 off and free shipping.
I guess I should've jumped on that first savings.

Just trying to be wise on what I get.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Im looking more at the T7 Redding press for convenience of the dies in the turret.
I've already got the bushing figured out for my brass (neck is 338 so I went with a 337 bushing).
These rounds shoot sub MOA so if I can find this sweet spot It will be a winner.

I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet as my price doubled, but I don't want to buy something I wont use later on.

These don't use the bushing and are suppose to cycle better? But don't have the bushing so I assume not as precise. Brownells was giving me 10% off and free shipping ($100 savings) but it expired at midnight I guess.
Every day they send me an email wanting me to finish my order, but now its only $15 off and free shipping.

Were are you located? I'm in Ogden and would be happy to show you what I know. Might give you an idea what you really want or need. I have a box of stuff I thought I needed that hasn't been used in years, so I'm happy to help others avoid the same box.

I will throw another plug out for KSL classifieds once again, I just picked up a second tumbler off KSL for dirt cheap and see theirs a bunch of dies and misc reloading parts on there now.

I have a box of stuff I thought I needed that hasn't been used in years, so I'm happy to help others avoid the same box.

I have the same box of stuff. Probably different things in it, but I think we all have one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
That would be awesome
I'm in beaver so it would be a sat thing

I am intrigued by reloading and reading and watching everything

I put this off for years as I have too
Many other interests and knew if I got into it I would jump head-first rather then weighed in which is unfortunately my MO

I decided I just want to do my 300 rum for now mostly for cost
I don't shoot a lot but I will shoot a hundred rounds a year from this rifle, but these 300 rums are hard on bores so I try to limit it and at the price of these bullets in 2 years will pay for my reloading equipment then I can use it to play with my other calibers

I leave town tomorrow for a week and we'll sit on it and see if I still have a desire to do this when I get back hahaha I almost bought everything 3 times last night
Were are you located? I'm in Ogden and would be happy to show you what I know. Might give you an idea what you really want or need. I have a box of stuff I thought I needed that hasn't been used in years, so I'm happy to help others avoid the same box.

I will throw another plug out for KSL classifieds once again, I just picked up a second tumbler off KSL for dirt cheap and see theirs a bunch of dies and misc reloading parts on there now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Starting with one caliber is a good plan. Once you get it figured out and if you like reloading you will be purchasing other calibers just to reload for them. Currently I load for 15 calibers, some just a few rounds here and there and others a bunch in a few different bullet types. I have a few rifles that have never seen a factory round.

Next you'll will be casting your own bullets just to be able to play around with reloading them.

Beaver is a haul but we could get a lot accomplished on a Sat. I'm just thinking about brass prep for my hunting rifles that were shot over the last 6 months and I'm working on a 204 load so I have brass in multiple stages of prep which makes showing and teaching easy.

The main benefit of bushing dies is getting the exact neck tension you want and avoiding over working brass. Standard FL sizing dies typically size the neck smaller than needed only to expand it immediately with the expanding ball. BTW - I would get at least .002 smaller bushing than measured diameter of loaded rounds for hunting ammo, .003 might be better yet.

While most of my dies are redding competition but they don't make ammo any more accurate than the FL sizing dies. I really like forster FL sizing dies because you can get them honed to an exact neck dimension to avoid overworking necks as mentioned above.

If you are looking to save $, avoid the turret press and competition bushing dies right away. I never understood why screwing a die in and out was such an inconvenience, it's not like you have to reset their depth every time.

OP
mfllood3800
The main benefit of bushing dies is getting the exact neck tension you want and avoiding over working brass. Standard FL sizing dies typically size the neck smaller than needed only to expand it immediately with the expanding ball. BTW - I would get at least .002 smaller bushing than measured diameter of loaded rounds for hunting ammo, .003 might be better yet.

While most of my dies are redding competition but they don't make ammo any more accurate than the FL sizing dies. I really like forster FL sizing dies because you can get them honed to an exact neck dimension to avoid overworking necks as mentioned above.

If you are looking to save $, avoid the turret press and competition bushing dies right away. I never understood why screwing a die in and out was such an inconvenience, it's not like you have to reset their depth every time.

I hear ya...
I read where some guys go .002 under the neck, some 3 some 1.
I may find the middle at .002.

I like the turret for 3 years from now
:)

I hear ya...
I read where some guys go .002 under the neck, some 3 some 1.
I may find the middle at .002.

I like the turret for 3 years from now
:)
If you're thinking you'll like the turret when you want to do more volume just buy a second press. I have a single stage for the rifle stuff and a progressive for the volume stuff. One inline fabrication and I can swap them out.

Single stages should give better consistency.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Yep single stage for me.

I just measure my brass and the custom reloader used Norma brass. I may switch to this brass. Also looking at Bertram.
I have a about 80 casings of the Nosler. The issue is the bushing will then be a lot different. Ii think Nosler puts their neck at .344 and my loaded Normas are consistently .338 and I only have 40 of these (wanted to try this guy out and see ho they like the rifle)

Decision time...……...

muddydogs

WKR
Yep single stage for me.

I just measure my brass and the custom reloader used Norma brass. I may switch to this brass. Also looking at Bertram.
I have a about 80 casings of the Nosler. The issue is the bushing will then be a lot different. Ii think Nosler puts their neck at .344 and my loaded Normas are consistently .338 and I only have 40 of these (wanted to try this guy out and see ho they like the rifle)

Decision time...……...

If your messing with neck bushings I would also think you would want to be neck turning your brass or your always going to be chasing the inside diameter. Lot to lot neck thickness can very on the same brand of brass.

If you going for 1000 yard long range shooting then neck sizing can help but if your looking for mid range hunting accuracy I would start out just setting the shoulder back with a FL die and work my way up to neck sizing.

OP
mfllood3800
If your messing with neck bushings I would also think you would want to be neck turning your brass or your always going to be chasing the inside diameter. Lot to lot neck thickness can very on the same brand of brass.

If you going for 1000 yard long range shooting then neck sizing can help but if your looking for mid range hunting accuracy I would start out just setting the shoulder back with a FL die and work my way up to neck sizing.
Yes I am definitely wanting to utilize longer ranges I'm already dialed out to 1200 yards and the ballistics of this caliber is still deadly beyond that don't know if I am LOL

but I want to utilize the rifle capability that I paid for I guess I will now look in the neck turning

Yep single stage for me.

Decision time...……...

I would guess you are comparing fired brass to loaded, they will not measure the same. Most nosler brass is thought to be manufactured by Norma and sorted / prepped a little differently.

I bet they are within .001” of each other.

I load for 7 cartridges and have zero longing for a turret press. If I were to upgrade it would be to a CO-ax.

As for neck turning, I’ve done it for three different cartridges and can’t shoot a discernible difference if using quality brass. Now it is only used for wildcats and removing donuts if they develop at the neck/shoulder junction. I’d save your money there as well.

OP
mfllood3800
I would guess you are comparing fired brass to loaded, they will not measure the same. Most nosler brass is thought to be manufactured by Norma and sorted / prepped a little differently.

I bet they are within .001” of each other.

I load for 7 cartridges and have zero longing for a turret press. If I were to upgrade it would be to a CO-ax.

As for neck turning, I’ve done it for three different cartridges and can’t shoot a discernible difference if using quality brass. Now it is only used for wildcats and removing donuts if they develop at the neck/shoulder junction. I’d save your money there as well.
Mine are custom loaded and the Nosler are loaded in the pic with specs?

Mine are custom loaded and the Nosler are loaded in the pic with specs?

I see. I don’t know what dimensions they are using there (SAAMI maximum?) but I can tell you that at least in 300 WSM (also shows .344) they are not what actual ammo measures. They would need 0.018” necks, haven’t seen close to that thick on any 300 WSM, WM, or Norma mag brass. Could happen but doubt it.

OP
mfllood3800
Even though my brain is done and I'm certain the surface isn't even scratched, I appreciate all the comments

Pretty sure ill just start out basic and go from there

Muttly

WKR
Nothing wrong or lacking with a T7 for putting together accurate ammunition. Went to one from single stage myself.
One of the great benefits, IMO, is that a single stage forces you, by default, to focus on one step at a time.
And that is definitely NOT a bad thing when you are first starting down this particular rabbit hole..

OP
mfllood3800
Looking thru the neck sizing versus full sizing relationships, I determine I am in the middle of these 2 areas, this being a hunt rifle, but leaning towards neck sizing only, Cause my rifle is a 1000 yard plus set up and sub moa with factory Nosler 210 ABLR. I will only soot these thru this same rifle and believe that itself will help form the casing more uniform.
I would want to full length size for hunting reasons and consistent chambering in the field for follow up shots or what ever, but feel in my use, neck sizing and neck turning is where I will rest as I want precision for accuracy beyond 1000 yard ranges and desire to have the bullet center when leaving.
- I am also concerned with the life of the barrel, lands, and bore wear in this Magnum size rifle.

I am looking at getting decent casings that are already neck sized with great consistency like a Lapua quality.
The amount of times I will recycle these will be minimal. This is in no way a bench rifle, and was bought with hunting only in mind. I could certainly buy 100 Lapua quality type casings and last me a long time, and enough reloading. If I did need to neck turn a hair, I feel that isn't a big deal.
I would assume, correct me if wrong, I should be fine with quality brass, a trimmer, chamfer and deburrer, and neck size die, for what I am looking to do?

Now in my 6.5 Precision, I will look at playing a lot more with the many things available to reloading at home. My 6.5 I plan to rebarrel once it is worn, and having a reloader will ensure that happens sooner than later.

OP
mfllood3800
In 300 rum, is norma a top quality brass?
Is there one you have found kept the most consistency in wall thickness, as well as preservation over the life of reusing it?

OP
mfllood3800
I can't seem to find lapua brass in 300 RUM.
Wondering if it exists or is there a comparable brass?

ckleeves

WKR
I can't seem to find lapua brass in 300 RUM.
Wondering if it exists or is there a comparable brass?

Lapua has never made any of the RUM family unfortunately. Norma isn’t bad but if you run it hot it doesn’t last long at all. I think I would try some of the newcomers if I was loading 300 RUM still. Peterson or I think ADG is making rum brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk