Building a Shop

WKR

WKR
I want some advice from guys that have been through the process of building your own shop.

I'm a Concrete contractor so that whole aspect of the build I've got under control.

I'm curious if buying one of those metal prefab's is the ticket or if I should wood frame the whole thing myself....any cost differences?

Also I'm thinking 40×40...its a 20 acre lot so I have plenty room. Is that too small? Does anyone regret doing a 40 and wish they went 60?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Just went down this road, my conclusion is that if you plan to insulate or finish the inside, go stick built. Something else to think about, if you frame it, add second floor for down the road finished space. Material cost to double your sq ft is minimal at that point.

Price for metal kit is cheaper if you are doing the labor. I'd go 40x60.

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
Never seems like there's enough room so bigger is always better. I went 60' so I could have my trailer/duck boat hooked up to truck and parked inside.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
40x60 sounds good and its only around 9k in concrete. I'm not sure what materials cost for a wood frame would be for that though.

KurtR

WKR
No has ever said I wish I have a smaller shop. I would stick frame if you plan on finishing it

cnelk

WKR
As far as building type, it kinda depends on what you want for exterior siding/roof.

If you want sheet metal, then a post & beam structure would work. If you want a siding to match your house, a stick built would be better.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I prefer wood frame if the cost doesn't get astronomical

Another vote for bigger is better- my garage is 30x40 and twice as big wouldn’t be too big, in fact I’m sure I would have it completely full right now.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Just went down this road, my conclusion is that if you plan to insulate or finish the inside, go stick built. Something else to think about, if you frame it, add second floor for down the road finished space. Material cost to double your sq ft is minimal at that point.

Price for metal kit is cheaper if you are doing the labor. I'd go 40x60.
Mind sharing total cost?
And did you do the work yourself

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Mine's 32X32 and I wish I had 2 of them. Also, put a high door on the back so you can drive through. Buy a breaker box at least twice the size of what you think you need.

I did 40x 60 - 19 ft high. I have a second story over a 20x20. Lower is a shop and upper is storage. A long term plan is a second floor over a number of parts. Just money and time.

Built a 40x48x14 two years ago. Wooden post frame. Metal exterior and interior, batt insulation in the walls, blown in insulation in the attic. In-floor heat with a hanging forced air for quick heat.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the steel structure building packages and how they compare price-wise or what they're like to insulate, finish, etc, but I was able to do most of the work myself and saved a bunch of money.

Wrench

WKR
I did mine 48x60 with 16 foot side walls. I did a mezzanine between truss bays and loved it. I sold that place and now have a 28x36 and I hate my life.

grfox92

WKR
No to the steel structure. Unless your going over 100'in length it doesn't make sense.

Conventional stick frame on a slab. Tough rib metal siding on exterior, osb on walls and ceilings. I have build A LOT of shops this way in the last 2 years. Feel free to pm me.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

5 years ago i built a 40x60 pole barn, 16' eve height, standard trusses. 12x60' lean to off one side and I built a loft on one end 20x40 which has a very basic kitchen and full bath.

I put a 12k 2 post lift in one bay which has been the best $ i ever spent. Honestly wish the shop was at least 40x80 or 40x100 but budget didn't allow that so 40x60 has been great :)

I bought all the material from DIY pole barns. they have a great quick quote software on their website. I built everything myself, subbed out the slab and electric. I'm in around 70k including the loft, lift, concrete and brining electric from 700' away up the hill.