Building a Shop

I don't know what your cost on crete is, but maybe playing with the numbers you can find some savings by using a few methods (crete, steel, wood), you might be surprised. sometimes just a 4' poured wall makes a difference, especially if you know people in your business. I've seen companies jack the price up for materials over 12'. when you compare the difference between wall sheets at 12' and 16', that concrete may be cheaper or break even. just a thought.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I don't know what your cost on crete is, but maybe playing with the numbers you can find some savings by using a few methods (crete, steel, wood), you might be surprised. sometimes just a 4' poured wall makes a difference, especially if you know people in your business. I've seen companies jack the price up for materials over 12'. when you compare the difference between wall sheets at 12' and 16', that concrete may be cheaper or break even. just a thought.
Not a bad idea, ill have to run the numbers on it but pouring a 4 foot pony wall then framing on top of that could be an option. That wouldn't cost alot in concrete or form material. The drafting and engineering would be a little different though.

TX_Diver

WKR
I got a 30X30 with a 15X30 lean to on each side. One is enclosed and one is open.

I put board and abttor on the entire thing on the inside. Every single board in that garage came from my own logs on my land that I cut down and then sawed on my sawmill.

It is/was a lot of work but I like it.

I am going to do as steel ceiling with an exhaust fan in teh peaks to get rid of some of that summertime heat though. I was going to insulate it but I decided that that is just isn't worth the cost. Insulation is high right now and its "just a garage".

My labor of love. It was a lot of work to do it all by myself. A borderline nightmare actually. lol

You are looking at about $55K sitting there for just the building and cement. If I had to do it over again, I would have added more windows.

View attachment 610151View attachment 610153View attachment 610154View attachment 610155View attachment 610157View attachment 610158
How long do you let the lumber you mill dry for a build like that? Also do you oversize it and account for shrinkage? A buddy just bought a mill and he is planning to mill some lumber for me a little further down the road.

Most of the time I toss my lumber up green and accept the fact that it is going to shrink. I had to batten the crap out of the wall boards because I had 1" gaps after 2 months. You don't shrink much on the length of a board, but you lose up to 10% on the width of a board dur to shrinkage.

If I had patience and time both ow which are unfound by me in my life, I would air stack it and wait 1 year before building anything with it.

Letting logs sit and dry out for a year or two isn't an option either.....they will still be wet when you cut them so it's best to mill them when they are green, seal the ends from cracking and air stack them if possible.

I'm not building swiss watches here....just trying to rough finish a garage.

If I was building a house, I would plane all of these boards to nominal numbers after air drying. If A guy build himself a kiln, he might be able to seriously speed up the process but that's just other things to have on my land that I don't want to look at.

Just finished a deer stand for my kiddo. This was all "green" lumber and then I coated it in motor oil to keep the bugs at bay. It should last a lifetime.

IMG_8571.jpg

Still need to wait for things to shrink a bit and then batten the outside and put on my outside corner pieces to make it look perfect, but it should be good enough for this season. Every single piece of wood for this was cut on my sawmill from trees on my own land. Its a lot of work but its a good feeling.

Last edited:

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 40x60. Love being able to shoot 20 yards indoors. I built 3 separate rooms for storage. One for the wife, one for me for archery and hunting stuff, and spare to fill up with kids stuff. It went from being my ultimate man cave to a daddy daycare center. One of the best things we have bought or built honestly. If I could do it again I would go even bigger honestly.IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0754.jpeg