Remington 700 AWR New Old Stock

Rifles

• Total voters
If I was going with one rifle for both deer and elk….

If I hunted deer more than elk, I would go with the 7mm. If I hunted elk more than deer, I would go with the 30 caliber.

OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
If your willing to spend 1300 on a new rifle that weighs as much as the Remington than check out the new Weatherby Mark V Hunter that is offered in standard chamberings as well as Weatherby chamberings. The new stock design is really a nice compromise between a traditional sporter stock and a Monte Carlo style. Nice palm swell more pronounced than what is on the AWS. Comes with a trigger tech trigger and is cerakoted. You won't have to modify the rifle at all.

Comes with the 26” barre. Does that make a huge difference over the 24” seems pretty long but I’ve never had a rifle that’s 26” so I don’t know.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
You'll pick up 50 fps over a 24. And the Mark V Hunter comes with a capped threaded barrel so you can screw your favorite muzzle break on if you wish.

Hey guys in the process of selling my Bergara B14 Hunter in 7mag and looking for a replacement. I found a new old stock Remington 700 AWR for about $1,300. I have heard mixed reviews about this gun. Anyone with real world experience with this rifle? If so, what do you think. Also any other rifles that you would recommend over that rifle?

Price range: under $2,000 for rifle is doable
Features: 7mag or 300mag, stainless barrel and action whether cerakoted or not, i like the traditional stocks over the reaised cheek comb stocks, prefer no magazine I like the hinged floor plate, thredded barrel not a concern I will not break or suppress the weapon so I would rather have no threads.

Thanks!
Bergara Premier series is what I would do. I have an approach and it drives tacks. It’s pretty much a custom rifle made by vets in Georgia. They will rebarrel them for $500.

Wrench

WKR
If you're willing to spend 2 grand on a Remington....I'd snatch up a Ti for sure. I have a handsome collection of sticks and still grab my original rem Ti at times. Perfect balance and quite accurate....and the price is a bargain for what you get.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anybody know how the ewss shoots vs the awr? I know this is realities but just curious if anyone shot them side by side

My EWSS rifles shoot great. I’ve only shot factory Ammo in the 338 but the 30-06 has been a taxi driver with several different hand loads. It’s probably my favorite rifle to actually shoot.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Got a 300 Weatherby in a Weathermark that I’m now very happy with.
Second choice would be a Winchester 70 EWSS. Good luck finding one in 300 or 7mm! I’d probably grab one in 325 wsm. The one I already have will do 3/4” with 200 partitions.

OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
Is the awr the perfect weight for a 300 mag? Asking those that say it is heavy. It appears to be right at about 7.5 pounds

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the Christensen Arms Mesa? I have one and its a tack driver. They have a 3.7 inch mag. box (long action) 3.050 for the short action, fluted bolt and a good trigger.

Last edited:

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Is the awr the perfect weight for a 300 mag? Asking those that say it is heavy. It appears to be right at about 7.5 pounds
I think it's too heavy if you're lugging it up and down mountains. Maybe I'm a big sissy, but 9 plus pounds is noticeably heavy at the end of the day.
20211227_193840.jpg

The Tikka t3x superlite in 300 win with a Leopold vx3HD is only 7 lbs 2 Oz and the recoil is extremely mild with a limbsaver pad.
. received_1059841861528776.jpeg
If the AWR is what your heart is set on, then get it, but I made that same decision and now I have a 30-06 that is a paper weight as far mountain hunting goes because I went back to the drawing board and got a kimber hunter that weighs 6 lbs 6 ozs and is now my deer, elk, and bear rifle. I would seriously look at the Tikka T3x Superlite if you're stuck on the 300 win mag. It's such a good deal, and the aftermarket support is pretty dang good compared to ALOT of the upper end/semi custom rifles out there.

20211227_193936.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
I think it's too heavy if you're lugging it up and down mountains. Maybe I'm a big sissy, but 9 plus pounds is noticeably heavy at the end of the day.
View attachment 360925

The Tikka t3x superlite in 300 win with a Leopold vx3HD is only 7 lbs 2 Oz and the recoil is extremely mild with a limbsaver pad.
. View attachment 360929
If the AWR is what your heart is set on, then get it, but I made that same decision and now I have a 30-06 that is a paper weight as far mountain hunting goes because I went back to the drawing board and got a kimber hunter that weighs 6 lbs 6 ozs and is now my deer, elk, and bear rifle. I would seriously look at the Tikka T3x Superlite if you're stuck on the 300 win mag. It's such a good deal, and the aftermarket support is pretty dang good compared to ALOT of the upper end/semi custom rifles out there.

View attachment 360931
I appreciate this post, thank you! I might try to find a t3x but I would have to replace the stock. I cannot stand the stocks on those guns. My buddy has a 308. It’s a shooter but the stock feels like it was built with legos.

Thanks again

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate this post, thank you! I might try to find a t3x but I would have to replace the stock. I cannot stand the stocks on those guns. My buddy has a 308. It’s a shooter but the stock feels like it was built with legos.

Thanks again
You can get a T3X superlite for $780, put a McMillan Hunters edge sporter on it for $493, and you'll be at about $1300, and have one hell of a nice rifle that still weighs enough to soak up recoil, but not feel like you're carrying around a boat anchor.

OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
You can get a T3X superlite for $780, put a McMillan Hunters edge sporter on it for $493, and you'll be at about $1300, and have one hell of a nice rifle that still weighs enough to soak up recoil, but not feel like you're carrying around a boat anchor.
Can you do that work your self or is it gunsmith only work?

OMB

WKR
Have you looked at the Christensen Arms Mesa? I have one and its a tack driver. They have a 3.7 inch mag. box, fluted bolt and a good trigger.
That was my first thought reading this, at $1300, I'd rather have a CA Mesa than anything Big Green put out in the last 15 years. CA Mesa is probably what the Remington AWR should have been weight wise, with probably a better trigger and barrel.

I really want to like Bergara, and had a chance at anything from their line at 40% off but passed because they're just heavy and I wasn't looking for an 8 pound+ fully scoped short action rifle.

Same for the Model 70 EWSS, I've loved them when I've held them but that model could afford to go on a diet. If Winchester could get a short action EWSS down to 6 pounds flat, give or take, I'd be all over it considering Kimber has the Montana on ice right now.

Tikka is great but I don't want a detachable magazine and I'd like to be able to work the bolt with the safety on.

I have an awr in 300 win I love that rifle shoots 181 hammers amazingly well to the point that's probably all it will see from now on. Has been my go to gun for the last few years. As far as weight everyone is different I wouldn't mind it lighter but have a few buddies they aren't a fan of the recoil now let alone when I shot 215 grain bullets out of it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
That was my first thought reading this, at $1300, I'd rather have a CA Mesa than anything Big Green put out in the last 15 years. CA Mesa is probably what the Remington AWR should have been weight wise, with probably a better trigger and barrel.

I really want to like Bergara, and had a chance at anything from their line at 40% off but passed because they're just heavy and I wasn't looking for an 8 pound+ fully scoped short action rifle.

Same for the Model 70 EWSS, I've loved them when I've held them but that model could afford to go on a diet. If Winchester could get a short action EWSS down to 6 pounds flat, give or take, I'd be all over it considering Kimber has the Montana on ice right now.

Tikka is great but I don't want a detachable magazine and I'd like to be able to work the bolt with the safety on.
Talk to me about Christensen Mesa. Stainless action? Says the barrel is can’t find anything on the action. Have heard mixed reviews on quality control and accuracy.

If you have any self-respect, avoid the Remington. My last two have been duds and they weren't cheap ones. As much as I hate to say it, look at guns made overseas. It's a damn shame what has become of American gun manufacturing.