Remington UML v. Knight Mountaineer

I have searched on here and haven't found much discussion directly comparing the Remington UML and Knight rifles...most discussions suggest going to a Knight Ultralight because the Remington is too heavy. However, I'm not concerned with the weight...both are lighter than the centerfire rifle I've been carrying for years, and I actually prefer a little extra weight in a rifle (particularly a heavy recoiling rifle).

I'm hoping to have one gun to use first in Colorado for elk/deer, so it will have to be a .50 cal, and also for elk in NM (with sabots and a scope). I'm planning to use a Williams peep on either gun in CO. For NM, I'd like to be able to work up a load to extend the distances a little more.

Between the Remington UML (with the Arrowhead breach plug) and a Knight Mountaineer, shooting BH 209, what say you? Are the two of similar quality & accuracy?

Hey Outlaw! Where and what might you be hunting? The rifles are both excellent rifles but in a lot of ways they have two different purposes. I you want a rifle that you can shoot like a center fire to long ranges then you might like the Rem better for its added powder capacity and distant shooting. I you want what I would call a regular ML for great shooting to and for hunting to 200-300 yards then the Mountaineer really could serve your purposes.

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with Remington but I have the Mountaineer and love it. 2 guys in my group also liked it better then theirs that they also switched to the mountaineer. Both of them had TC omegas

OP
Josey Wales
Hey Outlaw! Where and what might you be hunting? The rifles are both excellent rifles but in a lot of ways they have two different purposes. I you want a rifle that you can shoot like a center fire to long ranges then you might like the Rem better for its added powder capacity and distant shooting. I you want what I would call a regular ML for great shooting to and for hunting to 200-300 yards then the Mountaineer really could serve your purposes.

Colorado and NM. With open sights in Colorado, I know either rifle would be fine. But I also do a lot of long range rifle shooting, and would like the ability to stretch the muzzy out some, which is what draws me to the Remington.

I was also hoping to be able to use a Williams Ace in the Hole (picatinny rail with integrated peep for the rear) so that I wouldn't have to remove my rear sight to throw a scope on for working up loads and/or for NM. I thought one was available for the Remington but not the Knight, but it looks like that was incorrect, and they don't make one to fit either rifle.

I do exactly the same thing with one of ULites.... Encore passed along a really good thought.

NECG.jpg

Just take the NECG off the scope block and add the scope! Works really well.

If you want a really long range rifle the Remington perhaps will fill the bill better. I really do think the Mountaineer will hold its own to 300. I am not that good but others are!

The other option is to look what Arrowhead or Betill Creations might offer in a custom rifle.

OP
Josey Wales
Thanks for all of the input. I was already leaning towards the Remington, so I went ahead and ordered it, along with a picatinny rail and the NECG rear peep. Now on to begin experimenting with bullets & loads!

BigHink66

FNG
I would like to hear more on this as well as I've been tossing the .52 Knight or the Rem Ultimate around as options. Hoping to shoot 400 grain Barnes Original and looking for 300 yard performance.

And I also want a rifle that I can hunt most of the Western States.