Rental - Chevy Suburban vs Ram 1500

maufic

FNG
I'm looking to rent one of these trucks for a solo hunt this October in NE UTAH. Since it's a rental both trucks will be stock. I'll probably spend most of my time hunting from a base camp so the Suburban is appealing since I can haul a lot in the back and potentially just camp out in the back of the truck (the Ram is an open bed). I don't have a lot of experience with full size trucks are both equally good on unpaved backcountry roads? Any other insight anyone can provide is very appreciated.

Thanks,
Moro

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What’s the plan if you have a carpeted suburban with a bloody animal?
That's why god made tarps. Hauled four Elk and two hogs with nary a drop of blood. I have a Yukon XL.. Game birds are the biggest problem, them and rabbits. But hey, it's only blood, and it's my hunting vehicle.

The enclosure the suburban provides is great for protecting gear and allows a space to sleep IF need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gutshotem

WKR
I've rented a few times for hunts and driven across the country. First off, the biggest issue is getting what you actually reserve. One time we rented a suburban. At pickup the biggest suv they had was a QX80. Had to drive from PA to Iowa before we were able to switch it out for a suburban and they gave us a hassle while trying to do so. Another time rented a full sized quad cab pickup. Again, at pick up,, they didn't have one and gave us a choice between a Ford ranger or Nissan Armada. You might have better luck if you're renting from somewhere with a bigger fleet but just something to keep in mind. Something else to think about is that it'll most likely have some kind of $hitty road tires.

All that being said, I'd try to get an SUV. Set up a mattress of some sort in the back and if you're hunting solo you'll be bringing out quarters anyway and can just throw them into coolers. May also want to check out turro. I think im going to give them a shot this year.

What’s the plan if you have a carpeted suburban with a bloody animal?
Quarter, debone and throw it in a cooler. No need to throw raw bloody meat in the back of any vehicle, even a truck. Hunted strictly out if a Tahoe for the last 17 years. Never had to throw anything bloody in the back

I'm looking to rent one of these trucks for a solo hunt this October in NE UTAH. Since it's a rental both trucks will be stock. I'll probably spend most of my time hunting from a base camp so the Suburban is appealing since I can haul a lot in the back and potentially just camp out in the back of the truck (the Ram is an open bed). I don't have a lot of experience with full size trucks are both equally good on unpaved backcountry roads? Any other insight anyone can provide is very appreciated.

Thanks,
Moro
Go Suburban. Having your clothes and other items inside protected from the elements and thieves is why I use SUVs. Used to have a truck and had a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff stolen from the bed years ago. No more trucks for me

I've rented a few times for hunts and driven across the country. First off, the biggest issue is getting what you actually reserve. One time we rented a suburban. At pickup the biggest suv they had was a QX80. Had to drive from PA to Iowa before we were able to switch it out for a suburban and they gave us a hassle while trying to do so. Another time rented a full sized quad cab pickup. Again, at pick up,, they didn't have one and gave us a choice between a Ford ranger or Nissan Armada. You might have better luck if you're renting from somewhere with a bigger fleet but just something to keep in mind. Something else to think about is that it'll most likely have some kind of $hitty road tires.

All that being said, I'd try to get an SUV. Set up a mattress of some sort in the back and if you're hunting solo you'll be bringing out quarters anyway and can just throw them into coolers. May also want to check out turro. I think im going to give them a shot this year.
^^^THIS
Good luck getting a truck or suburban. Only time I have ever gotten exactly what I reserved was a minivan. I'd say out of a dozen times renting maybe two other times outside of the vans did I get what was reserved and requested.

Be prepared for changes and plan accordingly. Take the insurance no matter what.

That said, I'd go suburban.

OP
M

maufic

FNG
Thanks everyone. I've been leaning towards and SUV for all the reasons mentioned. My only concern is if an SUV like a Suburban 4x4 will handle backroads as well as full size pick up. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I've been leaning towards and SUV for all the reasons mentioned. My only concern is if an SUV like a Suburban 4x4 will handle backroads as well as full size pick up. Thanks.
Better in my opinion and experience. Same size but with weight over the rear wheels. But will be close for sure in how they handle off-road. Probably won’t be able to tell with rental vehicles

madgrad02

WKR
Would add that you may want to check rental agreement... have seen specific wording that that can't be driven off paved roads. Granted, out west that may be different, just saying crossed that before here in the Midwest, and in the day and age of gps, not hard to track.
That being said, if no cap or tonneau cover for the Ram, have to go with the suburban, assuming it's 4wd.

Kilboars

WKR
Suburban all the way.

If you’re not in the construction business or having to really good use for an open bed, I don’t know why you would ever own one. Besides the fact that the backseats are huge though.

My friends have trucks and it’s always a pain using them to hunt out of because all of our crap is in the back in the elements and open to be stolen. Every time we have to stop someone has to wait in the truck or we load everything in the backseat and then back out again.

With that said, I’d hate to to put a whole elk in the back of a suburban, but quartered out would be ideal. Crank the AC up real low :)

ahenry82

FNG
Suburban all the all, keeps all your gear out of the dusty crap or mud from all the dirt roads in the mountains

Kilboars

WKR
The new Chrysler Wagoneer’s are great as well if you can get the long wheelbase.

I always try to rent them when I travel.

Have you tried Turo?

zmatters

FNG
Rented a 4wd tahoe years ago for a hunt and it worked great. I would absolutely want something fully enclosed as opposed to a open bed.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Tahoe a couple years ago when I was able to sneak out for a few days and rifle hunt in Montana. Worked great since I was day hunting. I would hunt, hike back to the truck, then I could set up my sleeping pad and quilt in the back to sleep. Used my trekking poles to reach forward and push the break pedal and starter button if I got cold at night. I flew in and didnt have a cooler but with it being cold I bought the largest storage bin I could and put it in the back. Put my gear in it. If I had killed an elk I was going to put it in the tote and then leave it outside when I was at work and freeze then drive home.

I always rent with national and always get what I want but I also have their executive elite status so they pretty much bend over backwards if I ask.

Suburbans have considerably less ground clearance and road tires to maximize fuel economy.. Sooooooo YMMV

So that front air dam might take some damage if you're off a paved surface

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Suburbans have considerably less ground clearance and road tires to maximize fuel economy.. Sooooooo YMMV

So that front air dam might take some damage if your off a paved surface
Yep. Give me the truck. If it’s a crew cab and you put the back set up you’ll be able to fit all your gear in there. Those front air dams are attached with Elmer’s glue and prayers.