Renting a satellite phone

Adrenalinetaxidermy

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a good place to rent a satellite phone. I thought REI did, but they no longer do. Anyone have any ideas for good places with a reasonable price for just over a week of rental? Thanks

I think we rented from Mobal.com during an elk hunt in 2013. Easy enough and cost $14/day.

elkyinzer

WKR
I used satellitephonestore.com this year, and Verizon in 2013. Both came out slightly over $15/day if I remember correctly, no issues with either just shopped around and got the best price I could find each time.

We have The Satellite Phone Store here in Anchorage (across the street from REI), that I've used every year for the last three years. When you rent from them you have to give them $100 deposit which they tell you will be refunded back to your credit card within a few days upon returning the phone. Every year, after I return the phone, it's taking them from just over two weeks to over a month to refund my money, and only after I contacted them a second time (in all three cases), to get my refund. Every time (after returning the phone and waiting a few weeks), I would call them, only be told that it was just an oversight. We have other options here in the Anchorage area to rent satellite phones and, this was the last time I'll ever use The Satellite Phone Store again. I posted this issue in the Alaska Outdoor Forum and had several people respond, saying that they had experienced the same issues. After thinking about it for a little while I decide to go ahead and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It probably doesn't make much difference but it makes me feel a little better getting the word out. I wonder how many other folks out there they've been able to scam an additional $100 out of just by not automatically giving the refund and people forgetting about it.

Last edited:
OP
Adrenalinetaxidermy

Adrenalinetaxidermy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your input, Ill give them a shout and see what they have to offer. Thanks again

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many times do you have to rent one before the cost is more than buying your own? Can get them pretty reasonable on ebay these days.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many times do you have to rent one before the cost is more than buying your own? Can get them pretty reasonable on ebay these days.
I have not looked into the service plans.. Is that what you are doing? if so, what service provider are you using?

Kay9Cop

FNG
I use Surveyors Exchange and its $200 per 6 months and 200 minutes. Minutes roll over up to 1200 I think, maybe 1000. At $15 per day for a rental you'd need to rent for over 2 weeks per 6 months to be more cost effective at buying. I use mine about two weeks a year and rent it out to friends to offset the rest of the cost.

I have not looked into the service plans.. Is that what you are doing? if so, what service provider are you using?

I bought a SAT Phone, Iridium 9555 I believe, on Ebay for 600$. Then I just purchase 200 minutes and they last 6 months, if I renew (buy another 200) before the 6 months is up, the minutes roll over. So I guess, 400$ a year. I borrow it to buddies who need it and they pay me a bit for the minutes, etc. Works for me and I don't have to worry about renting one, ever again :)

Bhollis

FNG
Highly recommend the Iridium GO. It pairs with your smart phone through an app. Can get voice plan only or add data which will allow texting, email, etc. Really handy since you already have contacts in your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I think the Delorme InReach is a viable alternative as well. You can send and receive text messages, and the data plan can be bought only for the months you need it. It worked great on my solo hunts, and gives my wife peace of mind that I am OK

JohnRP

FNG
Buddy both rented phones from surveyors exchange. Never again. Both of us we're given dead batteries. Really could have used the extra power to make more calls. We got stuck in the mountains two extra days sheep hunting because of bad weather. Lucky we had enough power left in one of the batteries to stay in touch with the outfitter. Who really did a good job getting to us.

aggieland

WKR
Highly recommend the Iridium GO. It pairs with your smart phone through an app. Can get voice plan only or add data which will allow texting, email, etc. Really handy since you already have contacts in your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if this is a better choice than renting or buying a phone? I will probably rent when I go on hunts because I typically have cell service and when I don't have cell service it's usually only for 1-3 weeks a year .. Anyone ever compared the Go to an actual sat phone?

Lil-Rokslider
After renting for several years, I just bought my own and have the same plan as mentioned above. You don't have to go far at all here from Fairbanks to be out of cell service so it's a comfort to have if you need it. Before, I always rented from Surveyors Exchange here in Fairbanks and had great service.

I have never rented mine but that is a good way to offset the cost.

Pontius

FNG
I used Lowergear this year with good results. They were significantly cheaper than some of the alternatives I researched. Diligent customer service, in my limited experience, and the unit arrived even a few days earlier than requested.

If you've got a call a plane to pick you up or allow someone to reach you at all times, I'm not sure of a better option. If it is for an emergency/peace of mind, personal locator beacons have really come down in price. Some will allow you to send texts, the one I purchased doesn't, but is considered the best if you need to be rescued. It is only $200 after the $50 rebate, no plans, minutes, etc.

ACR 2880 ResQLink PLB Personal Locator Beacon The GPS Store

It's not the same for my wife as being able to hear my voice, but she can know that I'm not lying in a ditch with a broken leg hoping someone stumbles across me.