Reputable finished hound seller?

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Join Idaho Houndsman Assoc.
Get a subscription to "Full Cry" magazine.
Most of the people we were around are either retired totally or have passed on.
It takes work and time and full commitment to training hounds. There is no short cuts.

Coldtrail

WKR
For what its worth, and no disrespect to responsible breeders and trainers out there....I have rarely seen a "finished" hound that was much better than anything I already had when I was shopping, and certainly never hunted alongside one I'd be willing to drop thousands on. I found faults in many of them that i felt made them worth a fraction of the asking price. To be a successful houndsmen you need to be a glass half empty type & see the faults in even your own dogs that others may not see. The best way to avoid those faults is making your own dog from pups, selling "finished"dogs is one way houndsmen pay their bills & guiding hunters with their best dogs is the other........hopefully people can see the confict that arises for a buyer.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I bet I know why you haven’t been successful in running hounds. You will never be successful in becoming a “houndsmen” unless you are driving a Toyota Tacoma with a custom dog box in 365 days a year. Those guys are separated from the normal guys runners hounds and are special . You need a Tacoma…. I didn’t realize this until a few years ago, but every “houndsmen” in western Montana drives a Tacoma.

Trial153

WKR
It was 1998, I was in in my early 20s….I was at a trial and won a bitch class of like 48 bitches.

Anyway the next morning I was running a bitch puppy out of the winning bitch from the day defied with couple guys I knew, she was about 9 months and better then most finished hounds already.
A guy that I used to compete against, who was known to always buy competitive dogs seen her and offered me 10k for her cash. I turned him down. About five minutes after that he offered me 15k. At that time you could buy a national champion for that money.
I tuned him down, and he said “ son how can you turn that kind of money down on a bitch puppy”?
I said you show me where I can replace her for that 15 k and get another one as just good?
He looked at me and and winked and said you can’t, have fun her she will make a champion by the time she is two… ..she fished her championship three times over in two classes.

Last edited: