Revisiting the Pemmican

DuckDogDr

WKR
Guys I saw a post on here where @Poser made a few years ago. Looking at trying to make myself and was wondering who has ventured down this path
Any tips to make palatable / pointers ?
Or recipes.

Thank you in advance
Can you use citrus based fruit in addition to blue berries ?

S-3 ranch

WKR
2 lbs dried meat
8oz dried berries
8oz raisins or cherries, apricots
12oz tallow rendered

in a processor grind it into a powder
mix in tallow in a bowl with salt & pepper to taste
put in a baking pan & refrigerate
cut into strips & bag up ,eat
or
“”
  1. Make meat and fruit powders through dehydration and smoking process. Dry all ingredients beyond what you would for direct consumption.
  2. Use a food processor to blend powders to a flour consistency.
  3. Render beef or bear fat (suet is preferred) – slowly heat trimmed fat until it turns to a clear liquid, strain off liquid. Let the liquid cool. This liquid is the rendered, shelf-stable fat to be used in the pemmican.
  4. Mix your dry powders and salt. Add salt at a rate of 1.5-1.9% of the total weight of your powders used. For the original recipe, your mix will only be meat/salt. For a dried fruit mix, start with 30% dried fruit and 70% meat powder. Increase sweetness to taste by increasing the fruit powder or by adding honey. For spicy dry mix, mix an original mix and then add crushed red pepper to taste. You can also add honey to the spicy mix to get the sweet/spicy thing going on.
  5. Heat up your tallow with a double boiler. Slowly add the melted tallow to your dry mix until the mixture can be formed with your hand. Go slow! At first the extreme dryness of the powders makes it seem like you will never develop any structure to the mix – then it quickly hits a saturation point. You want to use tallow just up until that point. If you go beyond, you will end up with extra greasy pemmican. The tallow will literally build up on the edges of the pemmican bars. This makes it hard to handle and less appetizing.
  6. Form the pemmican mix in baking dishes or casserole pans. My preference is 1/2″ to 3/4″ thickness.
  7. Let the pemmican cool at room temperature or in the fridge.
  8. Once solid, cut the pemmican into bars for packaging.””

Last edited:
I made a batch once. Everyone who ate it agreed that it was not very good. I probably went to heavy on the fat but even so, not something I have needed to do again.

wesfromky

WKR
I have made it in the past and will do some this year as well.

Here is a recent youtube by clay hays on his process: