The internet has broken the boundaries between upper/mid/lower class.

MattB

WKR
Bees don't waste their time trying to convince flies that honey is better than shit. :)

More seriously, I only have one life to live. It doesn't seem logical to trade time in my limited life arguing with strangers on the internet at the opportunity cost of spending time with my children or otherwise pursuing happiness. That's not to say I've never done it, I just hope to do less of it, and maybe even none some day.
Not talking so much about the internet as most people self-select sites with people who (mostly) agree with them. I am talking about REAL life.

Not talking so much about the internet as most people self-select sites with people who (mostly) agree with them. I am talking about REAL life.

Oh. I keep pretty tight circles myself. I tend to ask more questions than assert any of own beliefs to people with whom I'm not friendly or familiar. I would wager there is more risk disagreeing with someone in person than via the multiwebs.

Coffeetalk

Lil-Rokslider
When I was very young I spent a day chipping up trees clearing a lot for a house.

A guy pulled up in a ratty truck and asked if he could have the chips. We said sure, have at it.

Turns out the guy's family owned a Fortune 500 company--it was the neighbor.

I learned long ago most 'wealthy' people live a pretty plain life and use pretty plain stuff.

My time tested Ithaca will do just fine next month--

Communicating with people who have different perspectives can be difficult, so some people don’t try.

Some people have such fragile beliefs held together only by the echo chamber phenomenon described above that they fear hearing the opposite view because their beliefs may not survive it.

Both are seriously bad for the future of this country.
I don't mean to sound like a snob or an A-hole but I refuse to communicate or associate with liberal commies who believe things such as men can get pregnant, getting their 6th booster shot is a good idea, cow farts destroy the planet, and those who chemically & physically mutilate children to further their mental illness.
Those types of people are what's actually bad for the country.

grfox92

WKR
I don't mean to sound like a snob or an A-hole but I refuse to communicate or associate with liberal commies who believe things such as men can get pregnant, getting their 6th booster shot is a good idea, cow farts destroy the planet, and those who chemically & physically mutilate children to further their mental illness.
Those types of people are what's actually bad for the country.

You are aware that the majority of liberals don't align with any of those stereotypes you listed right? It's not all or nothing. Not all conservatives wear Klan hoods on the weekends either.

I'm originally from NY and have a lot of liberal friends back there. For the record I am very conservative they all know this and still want to be my friend. Those liberal friends roll their eyes at Trans things, didn't get vaccinated and aren't spending their time at climate change protests.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

You are aware that the majority of liberals don't align with any of those stereotypes you listed right? It's not all or nothing. Not all conservatives wear Klan hoods on the weekends either.

I'm originally from NY and have a lot of liberal friends back there. For the record I am very conservative they all know this and still want to be my friend. Those liberal friends roll their eyes at Trans things, didn't get vaccinated and aren't spending their time at climate change protests.
I didn't say all liberals were like that. I said "liberal commies who believe...."
I also have family & friends who are liberal leaning & vote for Dems. They're good people too & we know where each other stand & just don't bring it up.
And for the record, the Klan was founded by & run by Democrats.
Sorry for getting this thread off track... good night

Hnthrdr

WKR
Very interesting. As a side note, I would say that I think what the drop test has shown is that people need not save up $1,000 for their optic, but instead buy an SWFA for $300 or get them on their sales for $200.
Just showing up to say this…

grfox92

WKR
I didn't say all liberals were like that. I said "liberal commies who believe...."
I also have family & friends who are liberal leaning & vote for Dems. They're good people too & we know where each other stand & just don't bring it up.
And for the record, the Klan was founded by & run by Democrats.
Sorry for getting this thread off track... good night
Your right. I misinterpreted your post a bit you were clearly talking about not associating with the extremists.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I feel like just as many guys come here to look for justification buying stuff as that leave here with a new perspective to go spend a bunch of unnecessary money.

Go to any AK gear thread and it’s pretty typical, as an example, a guy asks which $800 rain gear set he should buy. Twenty guys each with hundreds of days of AK experience will chime in saying to buy something else (1/8th the price) and then one guy will chime in that did a 4 day wall tent hunt with a guide and stove where it sprinkled for 2 hours total saying “I used xyz expensive brand last year and it worked great.” A month later the OP chimes in and says “thanks for the recommendations, picked up xyz on sale this weekend for $700.”

I’ve had a couple hunting partners come up that I’ve given detailed lists to that show up with an extra $3k in brand new gear because a forum or their hunting buddy read on a forum that they needed certain expensive items.

I’ve said a few times that I’m very grateful that I jumped into backpacking/fly out/extended day hunting trips several years before I found RS. I wonder if I found RS or hunting social media first if I would’ve been wrapped around the gears so much that I would’ve been convinced I couldn’t afford it or lacked the skills.
Rokslide and a very dedicated hunter I worked with did me a lot of good in regards to get out in the field in AK. My rain gear is cheapish, but starting out my pack was too heavy and my gear not great for the task.

That said, gear churn has wasted time and money. I should have stuck with my Exo K2 and never gotten a K3. The problem with rifles is I though I was smarter than the Tikka owners, turns out I should have saved time and money and just got a Tikka.

SO shelters are awesome, but not cheap. I do find it amusing when non-AK people talk about how an SO is not adequate for AK and recommend options that cost and weigh twice as much.

As to this thread, I grew up dirt poor in north Arkansas, most of the poor people I grew up around had four wheelers, boats, lifted trucks, and cabinets full of cheap guns. They would have been better off financially if they bought a Tikka, an SWFA, a $700 pack, and good boots.

Spending money on gear is a much better investment than paying a guide.

The halcyon idea of pre Internet is an illusion. People where still the same creatures and behaved the same.

GSPHUNTER

WKR

Might just be the liberals I know but, they all align to those stereotypes to the letter. But I only know and associate with a handful.

Last edited:
I moved to Colorado about 6 months ago, I was amazed how much money people spend out here on gear. Not even just hunters: the leaf peepers, Subaru lezbos, Bikers, etc.

I then heard on radio other day Coloradans are in more debt than residents of any other state. Makes sense.