Rifle build caliber choice

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at building a new do-it all rifle. I was pretty much set on building a 300wsm but now that it’s time and I got the funds I’ve become uncertain, I’ve been giving 6.5 and 7 prc a look and the 7 is very interesting, I like the idea of the heavier bullet but the 6.5 seems most available, I’m torn and btw I reload so factory ammo isn’t the over all deciding factor

SloppyJ

WKR
What other calibers do you have and does this rifle fill a void that you have in your lineup? I think you listed 3 great choices.

Samson7x

WKR
What other calibers do you own and which, if any, of these options are closest to what you already own?

I'm partial to the 6.5 for the weight savings of the short action. Of course that would also apply to your wsm. Since you reload, all of these would serve you well.

Edit - SloppyJ beat me to it.

OP
Ohiohuntr

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t plan on taking a shot past 500 although I do practice out to 7-8. My other rifles are 223, 308 and a couple 30-06’s. The 308 is the only other one I’ve built, the others are typical sporters that leave a lot to be desired

rootacres

WKR
7 SAUM. It’s basically a slightly neutered 7 PRC on a short action. I came from a 300 WSM to the 7 SAUM. If I ever hunt outside the lower 48 or go after grizz I can always rebarrel to a 300 WSM or grab my 300 PRC. For a lower 48 hunting rifle the 7 SAUM checks a lot of boxes.

madcalfe

WKR
I'm partial to short actions and have a custom 20" 5lbs 2oz 300wsm
the other cartridge that peaks my interest is 7SS.
Id say 300wsm for a do it all big game rifle

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
For me, especially since the OP is a reloader, I think the 300 WSM is kind of the Goldilocks cartridge not to big not small but just right. 30 calibers have one of, if not, biggest selection of bullet weights and types so that's always a plus. A, very, close second choice for me would be 7 PRC.

Lots and lots of options out there from mild to wild that is for sure but the older I get the less I'm attracted to the different wildcats, especially, the ones that require fireforming so even as boring as some may see them I'll take a 300 WSM or 7 PRC as my one gun do all cartridge all day long.

OP
Ohiohuntr

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
If you are only hunting to 500 yards, why are you wanting a magnum?
Just something different than what I have, I know the guns I have are quite capable but i just like to tinker and try different things

nobody

WKR
Just something different than what I have, I know the guns I have are quite capable but i just like to tinker and try different things
If you like tinkering and trying different things, I would give the guys at Unknown Munitions a call and have a 6UM built up. That’s as different from your current setups as could possibly exist.

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
7 SAUM. Will work well. Brass is Not hard to find.
It's an over achiever, well designed case, no improvements needed, easy to load for,
easy to shoot. accurate, long barrel life, versatile,
& something you can shoot ALOT.

OP
Ohiohuntr

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
7 SAUM. Will work well. Brass is Not hard to find.
It's an over achiever, well designed case, no improvements needed, easy to load for,
easy to shoot. accurate, long barrel life, versatile,
& something you can shoot ALOT
What kind of barrel lengths are guys using with the saum

HuntnPack

WKR
What kind of barrel lengths are guys using with the saum
Most run the 7 SAUM In barrels anywhere from
18” to 26”. It depends on your application.
Suppressed on Not, it runs well at those lengths.
Doesn’t seem to loose as much as some other chambering’s at shorter barrel lengths.
Really the Perfect Do-it All Cartridge.

Choupique

WKR
I'm a .338 win mag fan. I like a big hole in the barrel. 250gr bullet at 2725 is good all around kill everything medicine. I like big kabooms and knocking the plates off the chains.

I like .300 PRC best out of all the new stuff.

Spoonbill

WKR
You could build a 25prc or a fast twist 25-06. The 25-06 could shoot factory ammo and you can load the 130+ grain bullets into it. That will be a lot different than anything you have.