Rifle build from a clean slate

WKR
I'd go with a 6.5x47, 6.5 creedmoor or quite possibly the 6.5 PRC. I'd go with an 18"-20" barrel, a Mcmillan classic stock, dbm bottom metal, trigger tech trigger and suppressed with Thunberbeast UL7. Scope would sit in seekins rail and rings, and would be under 16x Nightforce. Bullets 140 vld and some 147 ELD.

I did this build about 9 years ago and worked off a long action so went 6.5-06.

ODB

WKR
I have that rifle: a stainless 5-digit model 70 338 Win bedded in an HS stock with a Leupold 3.5-10/M1 shooting Barnes 225 TTSX at .5 MoA.

ODB

WKR
I have that rifle: a stainless 5-digit model 70 338 Win bedded in an HS stock with a Leupold 3.5-10/M1 shooting Barnes 225 TTSX at .5 MoA.

Actually have two of them, except one is a 270win. I call them “The Twins”. The “one-gun” would be the 338.

I'd go with a 6.5x47, 6.5 creedmoor or quite possibly the 6.5 PRC. I'd go with an 18"-20" barrel, a Mcmillan classic stock, dbm bottom metal, trigger tech trigger and suppressed with Thunberbeast UL7. Scope would sit in seekins rail and rings, and would be under 16x Nightforce. Bullets 140 vld and some 147 ELD.

Mine is purty close to that.... 20" 6.5 creed, but in a Manners EH6A minichassisDBM, TT Diamond, and ARC M-10 rings and a 3-12 LRTS and sico Omega shooting 140 Amax and 147 eldm's... And of course my bolt is on the opposite side of your'un.

The other one is similar. 22" 6.5PRC in a EH6A, BDL, M-10's and LRHSi, TT Diamond, sico Harvester. 147 eldm's

both are Bighorn actions, proof sendero light carbons

If you geek out about rifles you'll never be satisfied with one to do it all.

Me, I'd do a 7 SAUM or 300 WSM in a medium action so you can throat it appropriately for the heavies. Inherently accurate, lighter than a long action, no belt, and a little less thump on your shoulder than the long action magnums while having plenty impressive ballistics. Rifle weight just under 7 lb and empty with glass over 9 lb, right around 10 lb with bipod.

WKR
Mine is purty close to that.... 20" 6.5 creed, but in a Manners EH6A minichassisDBM, TT Diamond, and ARC M-10 rings and a 3-12 LRTS and sico Omega shooting 140 Amax and 147 eldm's... And of course my bolt is on the opposite side of your'un.

The other one is similar. 22" 6.5PRC in a EH6A, BDL, M-10's and LRHSi, TT Diamond, sico Harvester. 147 eldm's

both are Bighorn actions, proof sendero light carbons
Either of those rigs would do everything I ever needed done. And all others would just sit or be sold.

elkguide

WKR
Is there such a mythical thing as a "one rifle" does it all?

There is definitely a law against being relegated to only one rifle!

IF, (and that is a really big IF,) I were to only hunt with one rifle, it would be, without a doubt, a rifle in .300 Win Mag. I have a "FEW" rifles in a lot of different calibers and have taken game all over the US and a few other places with many different calibers. Since you included hunting elk in your end goal/dreams, I wouldn't consider anything but a .30 caliber rifle.
IF an elk is standing broadside you can definitely take them with most any caliber and I have seen them fall from a lot of them. I have also tracked, and chased wounded elk a long ways. This past fall, I watched an elk take 5 hits from a 6.5 SAUM, ( a fantastic caliber) and fortunately, it was on a large open hillside and the follow up shots were able to anchor it. If you happen to get/take a less than ideal shot at an elk, a .30 caliber is going to have a much better chance of stopping the elk's forward progress.
I have several different .300's, 22" - 26" barrels, 7 pounds to 10+ pounds, brakes and no brakes, custom build and factory rifles. So once again, for me, from years many of experience, if I were building my "DO IT ALL" rifle, it would definitely be in .300 WIN MAG.

Now as to stock, barrel, DBM or Magazine, rings, glass, oh so much fun!!!!!

OP
huntstrong2850
Is there such a mythical thing as a "one rifle" does it all?

There is definitely a law against being relegated to only one rifle!

IF, (and that is a really big IF,) I were to only hunt with one rifle, it would be, without a doubt, a rifle in .300 Win Mag. I have a "FEW" rifles in a lot of different calibers and have taken game all over the US and a few other places with many different calibers. Since you included hunting elk in your end goal/dreams, I wouldn't consider anything but a .30 caliber rifle.
IF an elk is standing broadside you can definitely take them with most any caliber and I have seen them fall from a lot of them. I have also tracked, and chased wounded elk a long ways. This past fall, I watched an elk take 5 hits from a 6.5 SAUM, ( a fantastic caliber) and fortunately, it was on a large open hillside and the follow up shots were able to anchor it. If you happen to get/take a less than ideal shot at an elk, a .30 caliber is going to have a much better chance of stopping the elk's forward progress.
I have several different .300's, 22" - 26" barrels, 7 pounds to 10+ pounds, brakes and no brakes, custom build and factory rifles. So once again, for me, from years many of experience, if I were building my "DO IT ALL" rifle, it would definitely be in .300 WIN MAG.

Now as to stock, barrel, DBM or Magazine, rings, glass, oh so much fun!!!!!

No offense but it’s not an end goal... and I’ve taken an elk with a 308 on one clean shot. Your 300 win mag argument is over rated today. Sorry... but it’s just a fact... and the theory of one do it all Rifle is just that a theory and a discussion and I’m sure others here have taken info shared and learned from it in some way as I have by this post.
Also I shot an elk not a clean shot hit bone at not a long distance with a 300rum and 220 grain ELD-X that we never found but drops of blood and no elk. No follow up shots were possible and we lost that elk.
The intentions of the post were just that intentions to gain ideas and figure out what I want to build and spend money on next, it’s all in the end just a theory of what round is better than this round. But ever proving why would be impossible because a rifle choice of caliber is like choosing camo, yours isn’t better than mine but in your opinion it is. I have video proof of a bull in Colorado taking 7 shots and soaking up a 300 win mag. Every animal is different some are tougher than others. Some fall after 30 yards some go 300, doesn’t matter which caliber or grain of broadhead we’ll never find that perfect choice. But it makes for one hell of a discussion and idea generating post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
No offense but it’s not an end goal... and I’ve taken an elk with a 308 on one clean shot. Your 300 win mag argument is over rated today. Sorry... but it’s just a fact... and the theory of one do it all Rifle is just that a theory and a discussion and I’m sure others here have taken info shared and learned from it in some way as I have by this post.
Also I shot an elk not a clean shot hit bone at not a long distance with a 300rum and 220 grain ELD-X that we never found but drops of blood and no elk. No follow up shots were possible and we lost that elk.
The intentions of the post were just that intentions to gain ideas and figure out what I want to build and spend money on next, it’s all in the end just a theory of what round is better than this round. But ever proving why would be impossible because a rifle choice of caliber is like choosing camo, yours isn’t better than mine but in your opinion it is. I have video proof of a bull in Colorado taking 7 shots and soaking up a 300 win mag. Every animal is different some are tougher than others. Some fall after 30 yards some go 300, doesn’t matter which caliber or grain of broadhead we’ll never find that perfect choice. But it makes for one hell of a discussion and idea generating post.

Since you already know it all, why are you asking for help?

OP
huntstrong2850
Since you already know it all, why are you asking for help?

If you could read it’s not asking for help it’s asking for ideas but sorry you’re so easily offended... sorry I don’t by your 300 is god ideas... sorry this is a discussion forum meant to be discussed lol... have a nice day

elkguide

WKR
If you could read it’s not asking for help it’s asking for ideas but sorry you’re so easily offended... sorry I don’t by your 300 is god ideas... sorry this is a discussion forum meant to be discussed lol... have a nice day

Not offended. Just wondering why I went to the effort of sharing some of my experience with you, only to have you tell me that "my 300 win mag argument is over rated today."
I have seen elk taken with everything from a .357 mag to a 45-70 and most everything in-between. I watched an elk drop after one shot from a .243 and watched an elk with a perfect broadside shot from a .338 Win mag run for over a half of a mile. There are a million variables.
I was under the impression that you were looking for some hands on experience from those of us who have been there and done that, at least that was how your first post seemed.

I am terribly sorry to be so old and outdated to have sullied your post by offering my old fashioned experience.

OP
huntstrong2850
Not offended. Just wondering why I went to the effort of sharing some of my experience with you, only to have you tell me that "my 300 win mag argument is over rated today."
I have seen elk taken with everything from a .357 mag to a 45-70 and most everything in-between. I watched an elk drop after one shot from a .243 and watched an elk with a perfect broadside shot from a .338 Win mag run for over a half of a mile. There are a million variables.
I was under the impression that you were looking for some hands on experience from those of us who have been there and done that, at least that was how your first post seemed.

I am terribly sorry to be so old and outdated to have sullied your post by offering my old fashioned experience.

But the part where you assumed the person who posted it hadn’t been able to take animals on his own or ever elk hunted was kinda offensive lol... people kill animals with a 22mag I get that, but the post was about building a new rifle and look for ideas that lets say hey I drew a mule deer tag great unit but I can wrap that up in a few days I can swing thru here and pick up a rifle elk tag what rifle calibers could you use to do both, but at the same time a rifle you can enjoy shooting, afford to shoot regularly, and it has multiple uses that could range from elk to antelope. There’s no real answer there... I didn’t want a real answer I wanted to hear ideas to find something “new” ... your reply wasn’t wrong your assumptions were. But typing on here is no different than text it has no emotion and can be misread as something it wasn’t. So if I done that I apologize for it bud

OP
huntstrong2850
Now that we have just about figured out the caliber..
Let’s hear what your thoughts are on the build itself.

Honestly leaning towards Christensen arms Ridge line chambered in 6.5 prc. It gives me the option to take it and compete with it long range, would be suitable for an elk under the right conditions and shot opportunities, and be lights out on game like deer and antelope, and wouldn’t hesitate to carry it in October to hunt Ibex in Tajikistan. Likely topped with a Swarovski glass or nightforce ... that’s my thoughts so far