Rifle building advice

Backcountryrealtor17

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to build a bolt gun around the .30 cal range and have never built one/pieces one together before. Is there anyone with any advice or recommendations for manufacturers of parts/ gunsmiths/ cartridges, etc or any advice and tips you’ve picked up? I’d like to be able to take game to 700 yards here in Utah and elr out to 1500 or so just for fun. I was thinking 300 PRC but open to suggestions. If you have any spare parts that I could purchase as well let me know.

Thanks,

Tate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Advice. Sure. Order the Defiance action monday at 8am. They are only 37 weeks out.
If you want a proof barrel who knows how far they are out.
Manners is normally 6 months out. Who knows how far out they are.

In all seriousness. Have fun but don't expect anything to happen fast.

wapitibob

WKR
Deviant hunter long action mag bolt face, 4 in stock
30mm carbon Bartlein #4, 9 in stock
manners eh-1's with rem bdl and sendero channel, 4 in stock

I wouldn't run a 300 prc until I looked at and understood the brass sizing problem.

slvrslngr

WKR
The first step in your journey to a bespoke rifle is to find a builder. Lots of good ones out there these days, so do your research, narrow the list down to 2 or 3 and make some phone calls. Discuss your ideas and let them guide you to what parts work together best for your needs. I've not had any work done by him but I've seen a lot of great reviews, so Shaen Rifles would be my first call.

SDHNTR

WKR
Maverick build from Alamo Precision. THE best value in firearms today. Top quality components at an un beatable price. You put your own stamp on it with colors, fluting preferences, cartridge choice, barrel length, etc., but use their main component offerings like stock, action, barrel manufacturers, trigger, so as to take advantage of their bulk order pricing. Which is how they can offer a true custom gun at $2600. Yes, you won’t be able to make it a featherweight, but don’t fall victim to that hype either. The Maverick build will put you at a perfect balance of shootability, carry weight, and accuracy.

HuntnPack

WKR
Consider checking first on the cartridge & bullets availability you want to use.
loaded ammo, reloading components etc.
Then Check out several places that offer a Rifle package deal. Lots to choose from: Alamo, Rbros, HCA, etc; etc;

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
A 300 win or a 300 prc in a 9 twist shooting a 200-230 slippery bullet would be my starting point. The 30 nosler gets points for a slightly better design edge and a touch more velocity. But the prc is really going to have great brass available, ( well maybe not in these conditions) it's fast enough. 300 rum is wonderful also with a big appetite for powder and barrels. But they make new barrels every day.
But I think a standard size magnum is still nice enough shooting that a guys can still enjoy shooting it , thence you shoot more. This is key. In fact , having nearly identical set up in say some sorta 6.5 is a great idea too. Maybe a cheaper heavier build.
Bartlein, carbon 6 , brux , benchmark, broughton. All awesome barrels, don't skimp here.
Actions, so many great ones, defiance, stilller,bat,bighorn.
And builders, pick a great one no matter where they are located and drop ship your stuff there.
Gap, Shaen , ryan pierce, Alamo precision, Lane precision and on and on.
Don't let driving distance limit the high end build.
Anyway, some random thoughts. Enjoy the ride!

madcalfe

WKR
could do a defiance, zermatt, or lone peak action
proof carbon prefit in 300prc
whatever trigger you want (trigger tech would get my vote)
and well shop around for a stock that interests you
buy a barrel vise and torque wrench and completely skip out on the gun smith wait time and pricing.

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got 2 30 cal custom builds for sale. Piercision 30/28N and Whaley Ti/Carbon 30N. No wait and they come with dies, brass/powder/projectiles to get you rolling. I’ll even throw in primers.
They’re hammers on elk with 215/220/230 grain Bergers. They don’t get any nicer or accurate.

Last edited:

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
300 Win Mag or 7mm Mag . I would find a clean unbubba’d common Winchester Pre64 Model 70 30.06 or .270 Winchester, a McMillan Supergrade stock, Krieger 24”-25” barrel and possibly a custom Sunny Hill bottom metal. Find a competent experienced rifle builder. These Winchester Pre 64 rifles are not being glorified now because the supply is drying up, however they are still being used by the very top rifle builders in the US and Canada. The pre64 Mod 70 has seen more use by the most experienced and very serious hunters in Alaska, Africa,Canada, Rockies and the rest of the world and are proven. Same can be said of some of the Mausers but more involved and expensive for a custom rifle .

I am planning to build a bolt gun around the .30 cal range and have never built one/pieces one together before. Is there anyone with any advice or recommendations for manufacturers of parts/ gunsmiths/ cartridges, etc or any advice and tips you’ve picked up? I’d like to be able to take game to 700 yards here in Utah and elr out to 1500 or so just for fun. I was thinking 300 PRC but open to suggestions. If you have any spare parts that I could purchase as well let me know.

Thanks,

Tate

Its pretty tough sourcing parts right now but here's what I'd suggest.

If you're after lightweight go with the defiance anTi action, if 6 more oz doesn't bother you I'd recommend a Lone Peak Razor I know they can br found in stock too.
Someone said the action is the least important part, I totally disagree.. it's a key component in accuracy and precision that your entire build literally revolves around.
Buy one that is built with tight enough tolerances for shouldered prefit barrels, the ones I mentioned check those boxes.

For a barrel I'd recommend calling Benchmark and seeing if they have a #5 30 cal 9 twist, they offer deep flutes that will take about 8 oz off at 26".
You could order an action and have it shipped directly to them for installation, they're top notch.
Or mail your parts to Kampfeld Customs in Idaho, Karl does exceptional work at a great price.
Rock Creek, Bartlein, Brux, and Krieger is where I'd go for a Barrel blank

I really like the Trigger Tech special, and Hawkins BDL bottom metal with a wyatts 3.85" extended mag.
Alterra Arms makes a great stock, also I dig the McMillan Game Hunter, there's all kinds of good CF options out there so find one that fits your needs
For a chambering the 300 PRC is a great option, the only better 30 cal cartridge is the 30 Nos throated for 230 Bergers.

Have fun and Do Not Settle!

LRI_Chad

FNG

Thanks,

Tate

My advise. Take it for what it's worth. (not much, lol)

First: Decide exactly what it is you want to accomplish with this gun. By that I mean the application of the piece once finished. This fundamental question is one of the first things I ask clients. All too often the response is a very excited gent hell-bent on sharing with me all the cool stuff he bought.

It's also very common that by the end of the conversation the realization is made that the parts list is all wrong. Save yourself some money and the wasted time by detailing what you want to do first.

2nd: Buy the best parts you can afford that is appropriate for the task. Budget builds have their place, but if you're going through the trouble to build a rifle from scratch then it only makes sense to use good parts. Your time is valuable. The last thing a client should ever have to worry about is having a rifle fall apart at a match, a hunt, whatever. The time invested to play in this hobby is not free. It all costs so by that measure it only makes sense to set yourself up for success by actually being able to enjoy it instead of fighting equipment.

3rd: Pick one shop and stick with it. One cook. One kitchen. The American man is better than anyone at 5 things.

1. Catching fish
2. Drinking beer
3. Driving a car
4. Shooting guns
5. ******* women

-Just ask us, we'll tell you. :)

The point here is when you have brand X fit a barreled action and then move down the road to another shop for stocking, paint, etc... it's fertile soil for you to start receiving phone calls where someone's opinion gets thrown in your face because they don't like something.

One shop. This way there's one person to talk to should the music stop.

4th: There is no reason not to expect a detailed, itemized estimate from the person doing the work. I know because I've generated around 5,000 of them over the last 13 years as a professional custom gunsmithing shop. Overages do happen and when they do, you are owed a phone call. Period.

Good luck. Happy to help.

C.
LRI

Gila

WKR
The action will determine what barrel, bottom metal, stock and trigger that you will use. Some actions have a changeable bolt face so you can change barrels to change cartridges. Some of the better custom actions have such good machining that barrel makers have prefits that have a shoulder that you can screw in. You can use a barrel nut or do a Remage fitting between the barrel and action your choice. A good custom 700 clone action will set you back at least $900 and up.

I was about to buy parts for a 30 Nosler build, however times being what they are, I shelved my plans for that build for now. I am doing a 300 WM semi-custom tikka build instead. I have all of the parts now, took me about three months to get everything. So, I think I will get back to work.