rifle or bow? first CO OTC

sbrville

FNG
Planning a hunt for this fall and my hunting buddy can get off work in the middle of Sept or all second rifle. Buddys not getting a tag this year just coming to help out and for fun. This will be my first western hunt and would be my first archery hunt if I went that route. Bought a bow this spring and am pretty confidant out to 40 yards, but have never really bow hunted. Have been gun hunting forever. Not going for a trophy, would like to get a bull but would be super happy with a cow. Going mostly for the experience and to have a good time. When would you go? Rut sounds fun in sept but odds might be better in rifle? I farm so middle of sept might be better as we would be possibly just starting harvest then. Rifle season would be toward the end when we will be going pretty hard at it, but could probably slip away for a week or 10 days. I know a guy should just do whatever he thinks would be the funnest but i'm on the fence on this one. Any input or thoughts would be great!! Pro's and Con's? thanks

BFL

FNG
Following. Good post, definitely looking forward to everyone's opinion.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
if fun And pure enjoyment go with a bow September weather and ruttting activity is just awesome, if success and opportunity to fill your tag is high on the list rifle .....either way have fun👍

My 2 cents, and not worth much, Try to come out first rifle. Great weather normally, bulls still singing, and just a great time watching elk with a friend minutes before the echo of a rifle sounds. The smiles, the complaints of a heavy pack, will bring you back over and over. Good luck amigo!

OP
S

sbrville

FNG
thanks. I'd better decide and get it planned out. should be fun either way. part of me wants to get in there with them screaming and try getting close and part of me wants to glass them up and rifle hunt, get some experience, and try with a bow next year. If I rifle hunt my buddy may bring a rifle and grab a bear tag. Looking forward to either. thanks.

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
I’m doing both archery and gun in Colorado this year. If I had to pick one, it would definitely be archery. Be aware that during the middle of September, you will be out there during muzzleloader season.

OP
S

sbrville

FNG
Thanks we put it down for leaving sept 9th with a bow. Looking forward to it!!! Just going to pick a spot or two and give it a try. Worth picking a spot w less ML tags or just go for it? Thanks again

Just go for it We muzzleloader hunt and usually see more bow hunters than ML. I have seen more elk during Bow/ML than rifle. We are hooked on ML as you get that sweet spot. Rutting Elk with a 100 yard range. I have young boys hunting so that is the perfect scenario for us.

after doing both, Id say both are crowded and both have low odds, that being said go with the bow so your not out there stressed out about all the farm work you have to do, youll enjoy yourself more, and who doesn't love hearing an elk bugle.

MattCO

FNG
I hunt CO both muzzleloader and rifle, I'd recommend archery season, even if it's during muzzleloader season. Agreed with one comment above, usually see more archery hunters than ML hunters, even though the ML hunters are wearing orange vs camo for the archery hunters.

Agreed both seasons are crowded, but if it's crowded, I'd rather be in the woods with hunters with a range of 100 yards or less (ML & archery) vs all rifle hunters with 100+ yard ranges. Plus archery and ML generally seem less crowded than OTC rifle seasons (2nd & 3rd).