Rifle Scope for Eastern Whitetail

Hello! I have been using my buddies rifle for the past couple years during deer season but this year I have decided to take the plunge into setting up my own rifle. I have just bought a Tikka T3X Lite with the Stainless Steel barrel. I am now in search of the right scope to mount to it. All of my shots have been within 300 yards with a majority being 150 and in. Additionally, all of my shots have taken place at sunset or within 30 minutes after. As a result, I am looking for something with great low light visibility. I would like to stay around the $800 range. (I get 40% off Vortex). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

prm

WKR
The Trijicon 3-9x40 would work well. I have the green MIL reticle and it is nice. Illuminated too.

I don’t have personal experience it, but the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x56 would likely be exceptional in low light. Though I don’t think you’d ever have an issue with the 3-9.

This is ~15-20 min before sunrise on an east facing mountain. The illuminated reticle makes it very easy to see. The SWFA is usable, but definitely harder to use in dark timber. Love that scope for out west. IMG_3643.jpeg
IMG_3641.jpeg

Last edited:

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m stuck between a trijicon accupoint and credo both in 3-9x40 for the same use case. Is there a real difference in all the trij 3-9x40s outside of the illumination system?

I’m stuck between a trijicon accupoint and credo both in 3-9x40 for the same use case. Is there a real difference in all the trij 3-9x40s outside of the illumination system?
I don’t know about the accupoint, but the credo has a very thin reticle. Illumination helps with that, but it could be a concern at first and last shooting light. I also have a Huron and the reticle is a much better hunting reticle but no illumination.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I don’t know about the accupoint, but the credo has a very thin reticle. Illumination helps with that, but it could be a concern at first and last shooting light. I also have a Huron and the reticle is a much better hunting reticle but no illumination.

For almost $300 I can do without illumination I’m pretty sure. You have the bdc hunter reticle that’s on sale?

OP
S
The Trijicon 3-9x40 would work well. I have the green MIL reticle and it is nice. Illuminated too.

I don’t have personal experience it, but the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x56 would likely be exceptional in low light. Though I don’t think you’d ever have an issue with the 3-9.

This is ~15-20 min before sunrise on an east facing mountain. The illuminated reticle makes it very easy to see. The SWFA is usable, but definitely harder to use in dark timber. Love that scope for out west. View attachment 620146
View attachment 620145
Thank you for the reply and pics. Does Trijicon have a good warranty like say Vortex?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at the Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10x42 - E3.
The 2.5-10x is built for the dense forests of the Midwest and Eastern US. It’s light, compact and has the largest field of view making it ideal for low light situations where the lit reticle also comes in pretty handy..

PREDATOR 4 SERIES OVERALL FEATURES
• RUGGED AND LIGHTWEIGHT
• BEST-IN-CLASS OPTICAL CLARITY
• MASSIVE FIELD OF VIEW
• INDUSTRY LEADING LIGHT TRANSMISSION
• VERSATILE FOR DIFFERENT HUNTING PURSUITS
• PREDATOR DIAMOND COATING

Welcome.

Hard to go wrong with any of these and I am a fan of the leupold v3 if you can’t wait for the swfa. A bit more magnification doesn’t hurt and can come in handy if you ever decide you want to stretch out distances while hunting or just making holes in paper. Something in the 4-14 zip code doesn’t add much in the way of weight or cost. Just a Thought.

If you're strictly hunting eastern deer in heavy cover, a 1.5-5x20 Leupold, or something similar would be a great choice. If you anticipate situations where longer shots might be a possibility, you could instead look at a 2.5-8x36 or 3-9X40. That would work fine for shots to 300/400 yds very nicely while still being trim and lightweight.

prm

WKR

The pics of the duplex do look rather thin. The MIL box reticle on the Credo is quite good. Not so thin as to ever be an issue.

Seems to be reasonably durable too.

This is where I have purchased a few Trijicon scopes. There is also a MOA Hunter reticle if you prefer MOA.

Last edited:
OP
S
If you're strictly hunting eastern deer in heavy cover, a 1.5-5x20 Leupold, or something similar would be a great choice. If you anticipate situations where longer shots might be a possibility, you could instead look at a 2.5-8x36 or 3-9X40. That would work fine for shots to 300/400 yds very nicely while still being trim and lightweight.
Most of my shooting is from a tree stand or box blind overlooking a corn field with a tree line behind it. However, if I was going to start hunting public land I would imagine it would be heavy timber. Thanks for the insight and suggestions!

TN2shot07

WKR
If you want to use your discount - I’d pick up a viper 2.5-10x44. Just fine for an all around scope and you won’t be dialing at 300.

If you want to maximize that budget I’d hit up Doug at cameraland and pick up one of their open box Swaro z3’s 3-10x42. You can’t get better glass for that fading light

OP
S
Take a look at the Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10x42 - E3.
The 2.5-10x is built for the dense forests of the Midwest and Eastern US. It’s light, compact and has the largest field of view making it ideal for low light situations where the lit reticle also comes in pretty handy..

PREDATOR 4 SERIES OVERALL FEATURES
• RUGGED AND LIGHTWEIGHT
• BEST-IN-CLASS OPTICAL CLARITY
• MASSIVE FIELD OF VIEW
• INDUSTRY LEADING LIGHT TRANSMISSION
• VERSATILE FOR DIFFERENT HUNTING PURSUITS
• PREDATOR DIAMOND COATING
Hadn’t really heard of them. Will give this a look over. Thank you!

get something with an illuminated reticle or firedot. Those first and last few minutes of light are critical and when many big bucks are killed
I have a fire dot. Very good scope for the price.

not to further confuse the issue, by nightforce SHV can be had within your budget. A step up in durability from some of these other options.

passing along a general lesson that I have learned - optics are a (pretty) fixed purchase. By that, I mean, you get what you get and you can’t upgrade or modify it much. You can tweak and substantially upgrade a gun - new stock, new barrel, triggers, bolts and all kinds of stuff - but there isn’t much you can do with a scope if you decide to upgrade, short of selling it and getting another. So…it isn’t a bad idea to stretch a little on optics (and also get a solid mounting solution). Chances are that you wont NEED to upgrade it and you won’t regret it.

case in point - on my last elk hunt a guy i saw had +$2k kimber topped with a $600 leupold in Walmart grade (weaver?) rings That wasn’t zeroed, much less practiced with and doped out. You figure he has close to $3k in that rig. If it were me, for that $, it would be a tikka, NF scope, good rings and a pile of ammo.