Rifle Scope for Eastern Whitetail

Macintosh

WKR
If you go with a max point blange zero as described above try it out first to get a feel for it. Remember that the 2” high, 3-5” low at 300, etc gets added on top of your group size, your wobble, etc, so it causes a miss or a wound real quick at 300 yards when you add all that error together. Tons of people make it work well, just go into it having done it and practice so you know what you are working with.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
If you get a MIL reticle the holdovers are typically very close to .5, 1, 2 for 200, 300, 400. Very easy. (Mine is .5, 1.2, 2.1). Even I can remember that

Shraggs

WKR
In addition to big objectives gathering more light so does lower magnification. At the ranges you’re hunting you can easily use a 6x or 1-6 variant.

My personal experience with leupold long before the drop test’s definitely show they can’t hold zero, is they never held zero. I should not ever have to re zero a scope after sitting in the gun cabinet. Most scopes brands fall into this performance. True 2 clicks off doesn’t make real world difference killing 300 yards and under and can be un noticed. Take it past that and things change. Just my experience, no offense to advocates.

I’d grab a trijicon of your choice. Really great scopes for similar price.

I have owned 4 accupoints for years plus various other red dots and I have not had to use customer service often, but it’s been stellar. I own three credo now.

MBR (duplex reticle), marked hashes by distance (BDC reticle) or dialing (using turrets to move Bullet path up) are all options with different trade offs. All work. Buying a scope that disls can still be used initially as a simple reticle and MBR. Later you can use the dots to hold over once you learn how much and how it corresponds to the reticle, last you have the ability to explore dialing if you feel like developing the skill.

Last edited:

juju

FNG
There are a lot of scopes that will go 30 after in the woods. You need a heavy reticle or an illuminated one that will turn down real low. A 40mm objective is good enough. One of the Trijicons with a simpler lit reticle will do until you develop your own preferences.

I say it will do, but there's a qualifier. It's not plain as day like scopes twice the price. You have to be able to recognize what you're seeing within a dim image.

Most common deer cartridges are good to as far as you are likely to shoot at an Eastern whitetail if you zero 2" high. Old whitetails don't usually stand around waiting for you to dial or figure a reticle. That's how they got to be old. You have to shoot them right now.

FLS

WKR
You can get the same basic scope in their Credo line with a different reticle.

The only drawback to the Credo is the whole reticle is illuminated. Even at its lowest setting it tends to wash out the target at the last couple of minutes of legal light than the tritium/fiber dot especially the amber color. It’s a trade off. If you want/ need to dial get the Credo HX.

prm

WKR
The only drawback to the Credo is the whole reticle is illuminated. Even at its lowest setting it tends to wash out the target at the last couple of minutes of legal light than the tritium/fiber dot especially the amber color. It’s a trade off. If you want/ need to dial get the Credo HX.

Not true for this one or the 3-9 MIL. I had a 2.5-15 that the entire reticle was illuminated and I did not like it for exactly what you described.IMG_1034.jpeg

OP
S
We can shoot one hour after legal sunset here in SC and bigger objective’s definitely help in low light. These are extremely popular here for exactly the kind of shooting you described. Hard to beat for a set and forget low light hunting scope within your budget.

With the larger x56 could I still run the low Unknown Munitions rings or would you even want to?

OP
S
Got her back from gunsmith and I think she is dialed. Grouping is at 200 yards. I’m not a good shooter by any stretch of the imagination (less than 20 rounds shot in my life). Thank you all again for your input!
IMG_8556.jpegIMG_8568.jpeg

Long Cut

WKR
You want a 50-56mm objective with quality Japanese or European glass.
Low end power in the 2-4x range. Top end mag could be 9-15x but that doesn’t matter. Most of our “work” is 100 yards and in.
Thick reticle that’s useable in low light. Schmidt & Bender are known for this.
First focal plane or Second doesn’t matter, more user preference.
Illuminated Reticle would be helpful.

Trijicon Credo 2.5-10x56
Schmidt&Bender 2.5-10x56

I’d focus on either of these.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Got her back from gunsmith and I think she is dialed. Grouping is at 200 yards. I’m not a good shooter by any stretch of the imagination (less than 20 rounds shot in my life). Thank you all again for your input!
View attachment 648213View attachment 648214

Dang! Looks like you got yourself a shooter. I also think you made a great scope choice based on your intended use.