Rifle scope question: FFP, mil/mil, capped windage turret, under 25 OZ

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Dear all

I am looking for the ideal riflescope for a mountain rifle. Here is what I wold like to have:
-3-15 or 4-16 -ish magnification range
-40 - 50 mm objective lens
-mil reticle and turret
-exposed elevation and capped windage turret
-weight less than 25 oz (would be great under 22 oz)
-30 mm tube
- oh yes, and ideally no more than 1200$ ;-)

I know, keep dreaming... But maybe some of you have some suggestions.
If yes I am also ready for trades, because I have a mint -used only for one sighting in- weaver tactical illuminated 3-15 x 50 scope mil/mil FFP scope (asking 650$). (It hits almost all the marks, but it is too heavy and have exposed windage turret. Otherwise it has awesome glass and tracks perfect.)

marktole

WKR
Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 is 26 oz I believe, but over $1,200 and has a 35mm main tube. But offers all the other criteria you mentioned.

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
thank you, it is one I am considering, I wish it was cheaper.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty sure the 3-12 LRHS meets your criteria if you can find one since they have been discontinued

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dear all

I am looking for the ideal riflescope for a mountain rifle. Here is what I wold like to have:
-mil reticle and turret
-30 mm tube

If yes I am also ready for trades, because I have a mint -used only for one sighting in- weaver tactical illuminated 3-15 x 50 scope mil/mil FFP scope (asking 650$). (It hits almost all the marks, but it is too heavy and have exposed windage turret. Otherwise it has awesome glass and tracks perfect.)
Dear all

-mil reticle and turret
-30 mm tube

Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 has exactly what you are looking for. I am/was in the same boat as you and this scope is the closest thing out there. Tracks excellent, great reticle and the glass is adequate. Kind of waiting to see if anything pops up at the shot show that meet what I want

Randy

Wrongside

WKR
Dear all

-mil reticle and turret
-30 mm tube

Except for the under 22 oz part, you just described the Bushnell LRHS. My 2 3-12x44 samples are under 25 oz though.

Recently discontinued- but clear, solid, repeatable scopes- so worth a bit of a search. IMO.

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for all the info so far. I looked at the LRHS -still available on amazon- and it looks appealing sans the bit strange reticle especially the circle in the middle... I am not sure I could get used to that.
I heard/saw online that meopta is coming out a new line called "optika" which appears nice. I cannot find info on weight or MSRP though anyone might have an insight on that?
Anyways thank you for the help so far and please keep making suggestions.
Ferenc

I know the Mark5 3.6-18 doesn’t exactly meet your requirements but I’ll second that scope. I have one on a light weight 280 Ackley and it’s fantastic. 26 ounces, I snagged mine on sale from Opticsplanet for $1380 shipped. 35mm Vortex PMR rings are easily available and pretty light.

treillw

WKR
The march scopes fit a lot of what your after. Price range is pretty much higher than what your after though. Maybe you could find one used?

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Those March riflescopes tick all the boxes but theyare well over 2k thus a bit out of my pricerange.
Anyone with any info on the new meopta optika?

4ester

WKR
Wrap your windage turret with electrical tape and that will serve as a cap. Can’t really see it as it matches the scope. That will open up a whole lot more options for you.

I use a MOA Reticle and hold for my wind calls, and to be honest it works perfectly for hunting situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
Thank you guys for all the info so far. I looked at the LRHS -still available on amazon- and it looks appealing sans the bit strange reticle especially the circle in the middle... I am not sure I could get used to that.
I heard/saw online that meopta is coming out a new line called "optika" which appears nice. I cannot find info on weight or MSRP though anyone might have an insight on that?
Anyways thank you for the help so far and please keep making suggestions.
Ferenc
I've been using the LRHS for several years, for both longrange targets and hunting, and find the G2H to be a very functional FFP reticle. The "donut of death" 😉 works extremely well for the quicker, in close type shots.

If you don't think you could adjust to the circle, perhaps have a look at the LRTS. The G3 reticle may be more what you're looking for. You'd give up the capped windage turret, but at least the LRTS has locking windage. Available with illuminated reticle as well, last I looked anyways.

As for the new Meopta, or any new line of scopes for that matter- I'd be leery of being a early adopter of any unproven scopes. Well, other than maybe NF. Haha.

Best of luck in your search.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better FFP hunting reticle than the G2H. I wasn't big on the circle at first but have grown to have an indifferent to favorable feelings towards it. I prefer my LRHS scopes functionally to the March I spent $3k on.

There isn't a scope out there I'm aware of that ticks all your boxes and has a proven track record.

I've defaulted to LRHS 4.5-18 or NXS 2.5-10 on more weight conscious rifles.

Burris is releasing a new XTR III 3.x-18 at shot this week that is expected to fit this niche pretty well.

Last edited:

WKR
You can always find deals on the March scopes, I picked up mine from optics planet for 1800, which I know is over your budget. They did have a sfp/moa 2.5-25x42 march scope for 1550 on their DVOR app a couple of days ago. I am very happy with the glass on the one I have.

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the LRTS 3-12x44 used for $800,but brand new. I just shot with it the first time this weekend and so far I love it. A lot more scope than what I had on my Kimber. If you can find a deal on that or the LRHS, I'd jump on it.

Rawmeat

FNG
I had an almost identical criteria to yours. I was suggested the Bushnell LRHS. They were being cleared out and I got the 4.5-18x44 for $750 from GA Precision. Used it on my 7mm all year.
I have had the best, Kahles, Nightforce, etc. I would have never thought it going in, but I didn't desire anything more than the LRHS. Love it.

tdhanses

WKR
Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 has exactly what you are looking for. I am/was in the same boat as you and this scope is the closest thing out there. Tracks excellent, great reticle and the glass is adequate. Kind of waiting to see if anything pops up at the shot show that meet what I want

Randy

I only have limited experience looking through the Midas but if these were all my requirements this is what I’d go with after briefly looking through one. Also from what Athlon told me the Midas has the same stainless steal erector as the Ares and same glass as well.