Rifle scope question: FFP, mil/mil, capped windage turret, under 25 OZ

CR83

FNG
Another vote for the LHRS 4.5-18x44. Initially I wasn’t a fan of the G2H reticle but I’m glad I took the chance. Perfect for big game hunting for me. Excellent glass for the money. Turrets are solid and tracks really well. I think it fits the bill.

Terrapin

WKR
For hunting guns, I’m partial to Leupold. They are significantly lighter, and their optics work well for my eyes. My hunting scopes are MOA/ MOA SFP, but I just got done playing with a Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50. Overall I was impressed by the scope. It can be had in FFP MIL MIL, and is about 20 ozs. Some people don’t feel the track well, but I haven’t experienced that.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifl...mm-30mm-side-focus-mil-ffp?selectedSku=172339

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone looked through or used the new forge line by bishnell? Seems to fit most of the criteria set forth but has locking turrets not capped, and has a little extra weight at 28oz. But can be had in FFP for around 850....

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
So, I am back again with the same issue. I purchased a Bushnell LRST months ago, and I like that thing, but sadly they are no longer available. What other options are there out there. I looked at the Athlon Midas TAC lately, but I am leery buying Chinese made stuff... Any other thing out there?

davsco

WKR
what's wrong with leupold vx3 LRP? 20 oz, ffp, capped windage... would be nice if it did go below 4.5x.

Lawnboi

WKR
So, I am back again with the same issue. I purchased a Bushnell LRST months ago, and I like that thing, but sadly they are no longer available. What other options are there out there. I looked at the Athlon Midas TAC lately, but I am leery buying Chinese made stuff... Any other thing out there?
Shv f1 covers most at 28oz. I have a Midas tac, reticle is too fine imo for a hunting scope and took 3 of them to get one that worked. Never again.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Viper PST Gen 2 3-15, FFP mil/mil. Doesn't meet your criteria in like 2 spots. I believe it's like 28 ounces, and the windage is not capped. Found it for 600ish. I've shot out to 1090 with it. Dials and holds zero fine.

I'll be looking for a 2-10 with similar requirements for my next optic.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If FFP wasn't a major requirement, I would recommend checking out the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. It comes in either MRAD or MOA, had an exposed & locking elevation turret and capped windage. It comes in weighing 19.1 oz and is ideal for backcountry hunting rigs. You can find these in stores for $999.99.

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone, all right, here is the priority list: FFP, MRAD, capped windage, under 30oz, under 1000

kickemall

WKR
I don't think your going to get closer than the Bushnell lrts. Checks all your boxes except capped windage but has locking windage which is better in my mind anyway, as well as zero stop elevation. Cameraland has a 4.5-18 for $750 now.

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the LRTS is perfect with the locked windage turret. I know it is half way ridiculous but I just cannot bring myself to buy one in flat dark earth color...

Lawnboi

WKR
Nightforce lists the SHV F1 at 30oz. Although I've heard real world NF weights be all over compared to listed weights so maybe you have a light one?

The Leupold Mk5 3.6-18 is 26 oz ($1450)

Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 is 28 oz ($750) windage is locking, but not capped - available at Cameraland

Nikon Black FX1000 4-16 is 24oz ($450) I've never used one, but there's lost of good reviews. Questionable choice since Nikon stopped making rifle scopes, plus windage isn't capped or locking.

Schmidt & Bender 3-12 Precision Hunter is 20 oz ($1,000) No parallax adjustment is a bummer

Schmidt & Bender Klassik 3-12 is 20oz ($1400) Elevation is capped though

If you up your weight goal to 30oz, the world really starts to open up.
Your correct. I guess I didn’t realize it was that much. Surprising as my nx8 seems heavier. Still think it’s a great scope.

Yes the LRTS is perfect with the locked windage turret. I know it is half way ridiculous but I just cannot bring myself to buy one in flat dark earth color...

Buddy of mine who has been a bushnell sponsored shooter since at least 2015 advised me to go with the non-illuminated model. Whether that was because of the thinner reticle, less stiff parallax knob, or something else, I’m not positive.

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone knows anywhere a black Bushnell Lrts fora reasonable price please do not hesitate to share. The other option is the Athlon Midas tactical but I would like to stay away from that one...

WKR
Dear all

I am looking for the ideal riflescope for a mountain rifle. Here is what I wold like to have:
-3-15 or 4-16 -ish magnification range
-40 - 50 mm objective lens
-mil reticle and turret
-exposed elevation and capped windage turret
-weight less than 25 oz (would be great under 22 oz)
-30 mm tube
- oh yes, and ideally no more than 1200$ ;-)

I know, keep dreaming... But maybe some of you have some suggestions.
If yes I am also ready for trades, because I have a mint -used only for one sighting in- weaver tactical illuminated 3-15 x 50 scope mil/mil FFP scope (asking 650$). (It hits almost all the marks, but it is too heavy and have exposed windage turret. Otherwise it has awesome glass and tracks perfect.)

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! Unfortunately I am mil mil guy. But still, that you for the advice

Reactions: 307
I have, or will have if they ever send me my replacement, a SWFA 3-15 that I’m just going to remove the windage knob and put a cover over it. Something to consider.