Rifle Weight / General weight discussion

fatbacks

WKR
Having done a few 7-14 mountain hunts in Alaska I would say that’s too heavy for me. I usually pack a 6.5 lb rifle for those hunts. I keep running into Grizzly bears though so next week I’ll be bringing a 7.6 lb 300 short mag with me to the brooks range.

There’s a good thread on the rifle weight deal in the lightweight section. Seems like a highly personal choice.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/whats-your-rifle-weigh.129417/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Raypo

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Carrying a heavy rifle for a day or two is not that big of an issue. But day after day in sheep country it can wear on you. Especially days 8, 9, 10, etc. There's a reason your pack tends to get lighter as your hunt progresses.

I took a 8# 300 Win Mag on my sheep hunt. I went with that caliber because I also had a grizzly tag. That particular rifle was as light as I'd want it from a recoil perspective and as heavy as I'd want it from "grind" perspective.

Try to keep your "loaded" setup in the 7-8# range. You'll thank yourself during your hunt. Practice a lot from various shooting positions. Consider buying a "practice" rifle (same model/rings/base/scope) in a smaller caliber if you're having consistent issues shooting a "lighter" weapon.

When it is all said and done, it is very simple. Bring whichever legal firearm that you are not afraid of and also shoot very well.

Solid advice. Thank you. I have some twins already, so that concept could easily be adopted.

OP
Raypo

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I'll also add, when you say you dont shoot a light rifle well, how are you quantifying that? Are you talking about shooting MOA instead of .5 MOA? hahah. Seriously, practice shooting at lifesize animal targets. My son and I will make lifesize cardboard cutouts, go out and set them up at varying yardages from 100 to 400 yards, shoot them, then ensure they were kill shots. This will give you renewed confidence in a gun sometimes for sure.

I do normally shoot dots and in various positions. I shoot a lot off of a bench, especially when working up a load. To answer your question. I’d not be ok with anything that wasn’t sub MOA. Now if I went from 1/4 MOA to sub, I’d accept that.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Carrying around an 8lb rifle isn’t terrible, even in sheep country although it’s not my preference, a 10+lb rifle??? C’mon man....

My sheep medicine this year is a 5 lb. 9 oz., all up, .308. I've never carried any rifle into the mountains that's been heavier than about 7.5 lbs. and the older I get, the more I appreciate the light wt. stuff. I guess the bottom line is, if you're comfortable and confident with the outfit, and you're fully capable of getting the job done with it, than it probably doesn't make too much difference if it's around 10 lbs. There are probably other places that you could shave some wt. if it's absolutely necessary.

11boo

WKR
SIG is releasing their new lightweight hunting rifle, the cross, soon.

I’m surprised no one else thought this up before, incorporating an AR style bolt lockup into a bolt gun. No need for the heavy tubular receiver. Super light and modular.

SIG is releasing their new lightweight hunting rifle, the cross, soon.

I’m surprised no one else thought this up before, incorporating an AR style bolt lockup into a bolt gun. No need for the heavy tubular receiver. Super light and modular.

What is the advantage of the AR style receiver over the tubular receiver?
CA Modern Precision Rifle seems to compare on paper to the Sig offering in weight and pricing. I’m sure accuracy will be very good with both as well.

tjihrig

FNG
I carry heavy rifles. Everyone’s different but I hunted open sights most of my life and shooting with a scope at longer distances just isn’t my bag. So I find a heavy rifle with a recoil on the lighter side really improves my shot placement. That may change as I get older or spend more time at the range but that’s my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
What is the advantage of the AR style receiver over the tubular receiver?
CA Modern Precision Rifle seems to compare on paper to the Sig offering in weight and pricing. I’m sure accuracy will be very good with both as well.
The barrel extension is the bolt lockup vs traditional bolt lock into the receiver.

No need for a heavy receiver to hold the pressure and generally better accuracy.

SDHNTR

WKR
Give me a 7 to 7 1/2 pound, all up, .308. Easy to buy/build, easy to carry, easy to shoot, inherently accurate, and undeniably effective out to any reasonable range.

I have a question for everyone commenting as well as some general feedback. First of all, for those saying it's horrible to carry anything about 8lbs in sheep country, does that include carrying it in a gunbearer or something like Stone Glacier's QR system?

As far as my limited feedback, I've spent a shit ton of money on customs and if you're looking to go light I'd try to find a Barrett Fieldcraft to buy. I've had guns built that are over 3x its retail price and it impresses the hell out of me. Though I don't sheep hunt, it seems like a rifle you may want to check out. My general go-to custom rifle comes in right at 10lbs with the suppressor on it. But then again, I don't sheep hunt and I have it strapped to my pack in the Stone Glacier QR straps.