Scope change

I shoot less than a box per year out of my 7RM. I have had my rifle since about 2003. I have a leupold vx-2 4-12 on it. The last few years I have noticed more varience in my groups. This year I when I stepped out from 50 yd to 100 yd, I placed three rounds in very close to the same hole but when I tried to sdjust it 1/2" to the left, I got one dead on followed by one 2" high and one two inches low.

I suspect my scope is starting to fail. Should I send it back to leupold, buy a new scope, or what ?

Send it in If you have identified it as the scope failing. From my personal experience : If you havent cleaned the copper out of your barrel then consider doing that. I had a similar situation with my 700. I was chasing bullet holes all over the place. The more I shot the worse it got.
I thought sure my VX 3 was failing. I switch to another VX3 I had on the shelf. Same thing. Got some Montana extreme. Cleaned the barrel. Straightened right out. Again shooting 1 inch groups at 100.

OP
P
I clean the copper every year and it has still been erratic. Since they don't make a vx-2 anymore, what do you folks suggest for a replacement. I will still send it for repairs but it might be a good idea to get a replacement in addition.

I like the looks of the vx-3 boone and crocket. Not sure about some of the options. Suggestions?

wnelson14

WKR
To me sounds like you need to shoot the gun more and decide. Shoot 10 shot groups. And I would replace the Leupold with a SWFA 6x or 3-9.