Rip TKO arrows

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm thinking about having black ovis make me some victory rip TKO arrows. I haven't shot arrows with outserts before, so what I'm trying to understand is how much carbon the sleeve of the outserts covers up? I'm assuming I'll need to add that much length to my arrow to make sure the outsert isn't contacting my rest. I can't find any mention of this anywhere. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Great choice! I have a dozen of the RIP TKO that Black Ovis built and I love them. My favorite arrow set up to date.
Here is the thread with more info and the PROMO CODE for Black Ovis

So the collars will overlap your arrow about 9/16" and add about 11/16th in front which your FP or BH screws into. I ordered my arrows to be 28.5" long, that is from carbon to carbon. I did not have them glue on the outserts, as I wasn't sure about them. They included them and I decided I wanted to try them. My total arrow length now is 29 1/16".
However, if you order your finished length to be 28.5, they will account for the outsert length and adjust accordingly to have your finished length as you specify.

Hope that wasn't too confusing...

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Here’s some pics

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpeg
    IMG_2256.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2255.jpeg
    IMG_2255.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2253.jpeg
    IMG_2253.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2250.jpeg
    IMG_2250.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2247.jpeg
    IMG_2247.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 34
I don't think they will put in hit inserts for you, only the factory ones. Completely agree that hits are a way, way better option though

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I agree with the others. I would either go with a HIT insert or upgrade to Victory’s stainless steel insert. The aluminum half outs work fine until they bend when you accidentally skip an arrow off the ground. I’ve tried everything to try and get a couple bent inserts out of my arrows and can’t so they’re just trash arrows now.

nphunter

WKR
Just have them cut to length and squared if they won't install the HIT's. You can buy your own for cheap and put the inserts in yourself. Halfouts are a no-go for me, they all bend and turn great arrows into target only arrows.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
They may do inserts, I was on the fence about the collars, having never used them and said leave arrows bare for me to decide. I can't see why they wont do HIT's for you.

Dang I hope I don't have some of the issues you fellas mentioned.

It’s insanely simple to install the hit inserts yourself. Just order the shafts how you want and order a pack of the hit inserts for .204 diameter arrows. The inserts come with epoxy, the little installation tool and the two part epoxy. If you need more help dm me or search on YouTube “install hit inserts”

from my personal installs (24), and the professional installs (24) i've used, easton hit epoxy has about a 2% success rate for adhering to the inside of a rip TKO shaft (i.e 1 shaft out of 48). high impact shafting epoxy has been much more effective.

big44a4

WKR
As noted the TKO aluminum half outs will bend. That said I’ve built 22 dozen this year for buddies and everyone has gone HIT (brass or aluminum based in desired weight) and TI collar (podium or IW) with no issues.

I’ve shot the aluminum half outs some and it has been easy to heat up and replace with another when needed. I hunt with a HIT and podium TI collar on mine.

gethuntin

WKR
from my personal installs (24), and the professional installs (24) i've used, easton hit epoxy has about a 2% success rate for adhering to the inside of a rip TKO shaft (i.e 1 shaft out of 48). high impact shafting epoxy has been much more effective.
Just to clarify are you saying one out of 48 held? Which brand og high impact epoxy are you having good luck with?

If Black Ovis won't install the HIT's as other suggested, have them cut clean and then you can do it yourself if you are sold on the HIT system.

Personally, I agree with others on the collar use. I am using podium half out titanium inserts and a podium collar over the top. 50gr podium half out an podium 50gr collar. I have had problems getting the HIT inserts to stick well d/t lack of surface area on some shafts (BE Rampage), although I confess I haven't tried on RIP TKO. I can attest to the durability of the podium titanium insert and collar combo. Other than a direct blow on a a rock, it's pretty fail proof.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I did have a slight issue installing 75gr brass HIT's in my RIP TKO Elite 250's. They were a hair too big to slide in......measured between .203-.204", and the arrows measured .202" consistently. I screwed a long field point onto the HIT's and put the FP in the drill chuck. Then ran 600 grit silicon carbide paper on them for a second or two as they spun, and they fit great.

In 17 years of using HIT's I still haven't experienced anything to justify needing collars, so I don't use them.

Marshfly

WKR
As said above, do not use the factory outserts with RIP TKOS. They absolutely suck. Use Easton Hits or buy the Stainless outserts that come with the regular RIPS.

So dumb that they send those aluminum outserts with the TKOs but the RIPs come with the much better stainless hardware.

nphunter

WKR
Yes, 1 of 48 held with Easton epoxy.

I'm using this epoxy successfully: https://www.golfworks.com/golfworks-epoxy-8oz/p/epx/

But this newer one is like 25% stronger in shear, it's what i would pick today:

You need to use a small bore brush to rough up the inside and then clean with acetone. I've done multiple sets of TKO's and other Victory arrows with HIT's. Until I started using the brush and acetone they would come loose now and then, after doing a better job prepping I've had great luck with them, I've even tried taking some out with a drill bit with no luck.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I haven't had an issue either, with any of mine. But I did prep for glue as stated above.