River boat hunting strategies

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a river boat and looking to plan some huts this fall on some of the local rivers. I am wondering what everyone’s strategy is when hunting large rivers.

Is it best to cruise the river until you see some good sign/trails to the river and then set up a camp close by and just boat in the dark to that area and start hunting it?

Or is best to run rivers like a backpacks type and just have a spike camp essentially and move lots? I have a large outfitters tent and some ultralight sheep hunting tents so I can do a few options.

I will be mainly going after elk and do have a moose tag also.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
My apologies on the poor grammar. I can’t seem to be able to edit the post either.

I have recently bought a river boat and looking to plan some hunts this fall on some of the local rivers. I am wondering what everyone’s strategy is when hunting large rivers.

Is it best to cruise the river until you see some good sign/trails to the river and then set up a camp close by and just boat in the dark to that area and start hunting/hiking it?

Or is it best to run rivers like a backpack style of hunt and just have a spike camp essentially and move lots? I have a large outfitters tent and some ultralight sheep hunting tents so I can do a few options.

I will be mainly going after elk and do have a moose tag also.

Geewhiz

WKR
So you decided to hunt from your boat because you have a boat? Rather than having an area in mind that can only be accessed by a boat?

Seams backwards to me. I would use I boat if I had to in order to access a targeted area, but to limit yourself to areas you can reach from your boat just so you can use your boat seams odd to me.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I would say it’s probably a better means of getting from point a to point B I think it be hard to look for sign and glass in a river boat setting. Out of curiosity what state would this be in?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What type of rivers? What type of boat? What animals are you looking at hunting?

“Hi ring from a riverboat is pretty vague”

I use my jet boat to access areas that I cannot otherwise if I draw that tag.
I don’t run in the dark on rivers, hard to read water and see rocks at night.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I would say it’s probably a better means of getting from point a to point B I think it be hard to look for sign and glass in a river boat setting. Out of curiosity what state would this be in?

It’s in Alberta Canada. It’s mainly thick bush. Not much for glassing opportunities

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
So you decided to hunt from your boat because you have a boat? Rather than having an area in mind that can only be accessed by a boat?

Seams backwards to me. I would use I boat if I had to in order to access a targeted area, but to limit yourself to areas you can reach from your boat just so you can use your boat seams odd to me.

I have hunted some parts of the river from above but it’s not very accessible for the most part. Hence the boat

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
What type of rivers? What type of boat? What animals are you looking at hunting?

“Hi ring from a riverboat is pretty vague”

It’s a large and wide river. Not very shallow compared to others around here. Also will be hunting moose and elk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s a large and wide river. Not very shallow compared to others around here. Also will be hunting moose and elk

For moose, you’ll be best off drifting quietly in the mornings and evenings.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
lots of guys hunt the rivers here.

I've never done one OP, but from some buddies that did it they just float down the river looking for game in the hills and on the banks coming to water. Elk and Moose are the usuals. drop anchor and shoot from the boat.

Fatcamp

WKR

It makes perfect sense to me, but I really like my boat. 😁

Geewhiz

WKR
It makes perfect sense to me, but I really like my boat. 😁
I’m just saying, if I had an area that I wanted to hunt that I could only get to by using a boat then by all means use the boat. But to decide to hunt from a boat just because you bought a new boat, therefore limiting yourself to areas that may or may not hold animals seams peculiar. But in any event it sounds like it could be a good time.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Bonus part about having the boat though is less heavy weight to haul after you tag a big animal. Sounds like you have a fun trip ahead of you!

I really like mine too! In fact I will make about any excuse to go boating, running rivers and fishing. I just bought the kids spear guns and better snorkeling gear so we can spend more time on the water since the season is short in our neck of the woods. Im even scheming how to nonchalantly show up with a Malibu VTX and not end up with divorce papers…

Do you have a Bimini top for your boat? They are nice for elements and you can have a custom one made that will enclose most of the cabin from windshield back for sleeping on the boat in crappy weather. A small quite kicker or trolling motor is nice too for stealth floating while being able to still steer while floating down river in current.
IIRC your boat is 16-17 footer, and oars and oar locks can do that too. They work good enough to keep boat in right direction and steer.

Do you have a Bimini top for your boat? They are nice for elements and you can have a custom one made that will enclose most of the cabin from windshield back for sleeping on the boat in crappy weather. A small quite kicker or trolling motor is nice too for stealth floating while being able to still steer while floating down river in current.
IIRC your boat is 16-17 footer, and oars and oar locks can do that too. They work good enough to keep boat in right direction and steer.
Dust Rider, what kind of boat do you hunt out of?

Dust Rider, what kind of boat do you hunt out of?
Current boat is a Wooldridge Alaskan II. 20’ with a 225 Optimax outboard jet and a Yamaha 9.9 kicker. I have abused it. Rode it hard and put it away wet. It has proven to be a great fishing, hunting and family boat.
IMG_9059.jpeg