River boat hunting strategies

No, but it's on my short list. It was one of the reasons for changing boats. That Lowe was an awesome boat, but flat bottom and 15" transom. Not something I would want loaded in cold water.

New boat should open up some areas for us.

I have bowfished and camped, it's a great time!
We’ll keep me posted! Are you in SD? I really wanna go do a fall deer trip… I’d really like spring bear but I think runoff will just be too much to even attempt.

Fatcamp

WKR
We’ll keep me posted! Are you in SD? I really wanna go do a fall deer trip… I’d really like spring bear but I think runoff will just be too much to even attempt.

Yup, SD. I will send you a pm so I don't lose you.

Idaho.

I have done spring bear a few times, but not in my boat.
Seems like the Salmon is the big one. Is the whole thing pretty nasty? Or can you find sections that are more quiet? I want To try a river trip but short of driving to every one and seeing it, not quite sure how to “e scout” that.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
My apologies on the poor grammar. I can’t seem to be able to edit the post either.

I have recently bought a river boat and looking to plan some hunts this fall on some of the local rivers. I am wondering what everyone’s strategy is when hunting large rivers.

Is it best to cruise the river until you see some good sign/trails to the river and then set up a camp close by and just boat in the dark to that area and start hunting/hiking it?

Or is it best to run rivers like a backpack style of hunt and just have a spike camp essentially and move lots? I have a large outfitters tent and some ultralight sheep hunting tents so I can do a few options.

I will be mainly going after elk and do have a moose tag also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dicey at best in America! Most streamfront properties are privately owned.
Federal Law, not necessarily recognized by state and local law enforcement agencies, gives some guidelines.

Any stream with a naturally maintained width of thirty three (33') feet is a "navigable waterway" and is considered federally controlled.
Those waters should be (?) accessible to the public and within the second bank is open to access.

That said, I tried it once. The landowner wasn't overly impressed with my explanation of "Federal Law"! Needless to say, my "river expedition" was cut short! LOL!

A call to the local sheriff's office supported the landowner's sentiment!
Most private landowners consider their property line as the middle of the stream.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wait are we talking fowl or big game?

I'm talking about deer hunting. I haven't bird hunted in years.

Most of the Missour River in SD is behind dams, and more like a massive lake. Even the biggest boats have issues when the wind blows.

The waterfowl hunting can be good from what I hear, but I only pay attention to people's deer hunting experience.

Dicey at best in America! Most streamfront properties are privately owned.
Federal Law, not necessarily recognized by state and local law enforcement agencies, gives some guidelines.

Any stream with a naturally maintained width of thirty three (33') feet is a "navigable waterway" and is considered federally controlled.
Those waters should be (?) accessible to the public and within the second bank is open to access.

That said, I tried it once. The landowner wasn't overly impressed with my explanation of "Federal Law"! Needless to say, my "river expedition" was cut short! LOL!

A call to the local sheriff's office supported the landowner's sentiment!
Most private landowners consider their property line as the middle of the stream.
Dang that stinks. Which state? Utah is bad…. Idaho I think you can use as long as younare below the high water mark! Buy for sure it doesn’t give right to trespass. We were on the river in Idaho above the waterline once, the landowner asked us to move our goose decoys below that and we were fine.
its 50/50

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Dang that stinks. Which state? Utah is bad…. Idaho I think you can use as long as younare below the high water mark! Buy for sure it doesn’t give right to trespass. We were on the river in Idaho above the waterline once, the landowner asked us to move our goose decoys below that and we were fine.
its 50/50
Texas, Navasota river, 1980

Found out later that downstream of where we put in, the river spread out into a shallow, swamp like area. There was no discernible "main river channel" over a few feet wide. So, no point that could be legally argued as a "width of 33 feet".

There are several rivers in Texas that I've accessed due to the Fed guidelines.
Trinity, Brazos, Neches and Sabine rivers come to mind.

My 1756 Alweld Roughneck with a 90/65 Honda Jet. It’s simply badazz….and leads to SO many adventures. A life without a boat is like a life without a dog…incomplete.
That's a great boat! A buddy had one nearly the same and it was fantastic. Very fuel efficient for a jet and could carry a heck of a load.