Robby Denning's Colorado Muzzleloader Hunt

bounds

WKR
That's a rough day. I've been in the same situation before and know how big of a downer that is. Praying for you Robby!

Jodi

Super Moderator
"Clarification: buck was 28 wide not 28 tall. Missed a comma. Was a tall buck though. Maybe 17" G2s Sick"

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry to hear that, the beauty of missing is that we still get to keep hunting. Hope you have another opportunity!

Hardstalk

WKR
Precipitation, warm climate maybe some rust. Maybe a cleanout shot. Regardless the next shot should be spot on. Good luck!

VANDAL

WKR
Keep your confidence up Robby you still have plenty of time. A clean miss is a good thing and you now have two spots with big buck potential.

You'll get another chance, just stay at it buddy.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's not over. Seeing this kind of real life experience is what I appreciate so much about this site. I'll still be watching and waiting for the next stalk.

Shrek

WKR
I'm thinking that first area you were hunting looks real good about now. No tag soup for you! Clear your head , let go of the emotion and doubt and do what you know how to do ! Good luck !

shanevg

WKR
Bummer man. Sorry to hear that. We've all been there. Keep your head high and keep searching. You'll get another chance.

Man thats a downer... guess now is when you find out just hardcore you really are! Keep after it and make it happen again!

Mike

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I copy! Just making sure you were ready for some video.

Here is the buck I missed
[video=vimeo;49350148]http://vimeo.com/49350148[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Well, maybe Live hunts aren’t so bad after all. A few hours ago I was hating the idea!

Thanks for all the encouragement every one, and the prayers, too, Mike!

I feel better already, although, if I were a drunk that is what I’d be after what happened this morning.

Bedded not one, but two 28” bucks around 8:30. Made a long stalk and got in their living room. Creeping in and glassing, I found one in his bed facing me. Took another hour but cut the distance to 110 yards (got you all some HD video of him in his bed, but that will have to wait till I get home to the fast computer.)

Got my rifle rested on my tripod and waited… I was in a precarious position trying to stay upright on the slope without kicking rocks and keeping my head down on my stock which required a 45 degree angle in my neck. I could see his vitals behind the sage but really wanted him to stand up so I could get the whole broadside shot. About an hour into it, I was starting to get so stiff lying the way I was. I could tell I wasn’t as steady as when I first got settled on him. Another 30 minutes and I wouldn’t be able to shoot.

I bino-ed him carefully (remember, he’s looking my way) and picked out a piece of sage that made a spot over his vitals. He was only about 15 degrees below me, so not too steep. My gun is dead on at that range so I held a little low to account for his vitals being close to the ground, and off she went.

The short version is I tracked him in the mud for 250 yards with no blood anywhere and no cut hair back in his bed. Spent about 2.5 hours tracking him and could’ve stayed with him but he headed into some thick stuff where I’d seen a herd of deer bed earlier. I backed out as I would never get on him in that stuff with all those other deer, and maybe he’ll be around to fight another day.

Of course I was devastated (sorry for my language on the phone Jodi!) I knew the gun was fine but checked it anyway at camp at 110 yards, same as the buck. Shooting over a cooler, I hit the lid off a peanut butter jar—the gun is fine.

attachment.php

I think I over shot him. That piece of sage I aimed at was not hit and I couldn’t tell exactly what happened in the dirt as he and the other buck came out of those beds like hell-fire rockets and tore the ground all up. I know I did not hit low.

So… I’d be very surprised if I ever see him again.

I’m on the hill glassing now, my wounds still bleeding.

7mag.

WKR
Wow, nice buck. Don't worry about it, every one misses once in a while. At least it's not a poor hit, and a lost blood trail. Clean misses are much better than a wounded, and lost animal.

Man thats tough luck Robby! It happens to all of us though that is FOR SURE. Making shots in weird and strained body positions is a very difficult thing to do! All that strain and torsion in your body is reflected into that trigger pull and can easily cause a miss. Sorry that it happened to you but it'll come out alright! He's not the only big buck around!

You don't want to hear my comments on the buck... good lord what a toad! lol ;)

Mike