Rocky bearclaw boots

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if anyone has worn these in the backcountry. They have great reviews but I was more interested in knowing how they were with a pack on and backcountry hunting.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have worn them for about 5-6 years now, in Virginia, not exactly your "western backcountry", but I do walk 2-3 miles while deer hunting, sometimes more when we bear hunted with hounds, and sometimes climbing hills as steep as any I am sure you would find out west. I love mine and have about worn them out.

LaHunter

WKR
When you consider how important quality boots are when it comes to hunting in true mountain terrain, it is not worth the risk of bringing boots like the Rocky Bearclaws. These are fine for whitetail hunting or milder terrain, but if you are putting in miles in rough/rocky mountain terrain with even daypack wt in your pack, you will likely be regretting wearing them by mid day on day 1. Boots are probably NOT where you want to cut corners. I am guessing the positive reviews on the Bearclaws are not from guys that hunt aggressive mountain terrain.