ROKMAN extreme combo pack and gear....ON GOING review

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
ROKMAN Extreme Combo – Pack System – ROKMAN Waterproof Hunting Gear & Apparel

So......my phone rings the other day and it's a call from Ryan. Whoo hoo! For those of you who have ever tried to reach him know that it is a rare event to hear from him and even rarer for him to call out of the blue. I figure he wants me to tell him where my honey holes are................

He actually called because he wants me to do a review on the above pack system. Since he knows that I primarily backpack hunt and he most likely butt dialed me anyway, I eagerly agree to give this system a ride. I have a scouting trip coming up as well as an early September backpack backcountry hunt for mule deer. I am going to do a final review when I'm through with my evaluation but in the meantime, I will be providing insight and analysis as I go.

They say that first impressions mean everything and when I received the box yesterday, my first reaction was.............
"man, that's a really big box................."

stay tuned,

Randy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 234
My buddy has the whole combo pack and has been using it for scouting for a few weeks now. He seems to really like it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dann003

FNG
The design looks very interesting and well thought out. Let us know how you feel about the system.

Last edited:

dann003

FNG
Yea no posted weight. The frame looks pretty light but the materials used in the backpacks are a bit heavier (~300-500 g/m2) compared to xpac (~200 - 280 g/m2)

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could not find any weights either on the website or where it is manufactured but that info will be forthcoming.

Randy

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Yukon Cornelius is on the job! Haha!

Glad you took this project on.

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
I've handled the system at an expo, it was 10#+ based on feel, and I couldn't get the guy to give me a number - just kept talking about it being carbon. Don't know who would need that kind of waterproofing.. Dry bag on a reputable, significantly lighter frame seems to make infinitely more sense.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on this thread regarding weights of this system........--Bino case with harness. (You can run it clipped into the shoulder straps). 14 ounces.--Harness. (Shoulder straps, back support and waist belt). 3 pounds, 4 ounces.--Frame. 3 pounds, 10 ounces.--2500 pack. 3 pounds, 12 ounces.--5000 pack. 4 pounds, 12 ounces.The total weight for the Rokman system is 16.25 pounds. I used a food scale and a trigger scale to determine the weights and they were within a couple of ounces of each other.Randy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 281
OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI tested the 5000 bag today on being waterproof. Per Rokmans website, the bags are made with 100 percent waterproof materials and a fully waterproof main compartment along with fully waterproof seams.
We have not had any rain here in Idaho for like 4 months so I had to come up with a way to test the packs durability.
What better way than a run of the mill garden sprinkler.
The 5000 has 6 zippers and 6 compartments. I put mountain money in each compartment and figured that the TP would soak up any water and it would be easy to tell leakage. The bag was placed standing up and I ran the sprinkler for one hour exactly about 8 foot from the bag and when the hour was up, I let the bag dry and opened up all the compartments. There was standing water in the hydration sleeve which has a zipper on the top of the pack and there was standing water in the left side vertical pocket. All other compartments were completely dry including the main compartment which Rokman does claim it to be 100 percent waterproof and it indeed was. However, water was able to get into those 2 pockets I mentioned above. I do not know how Rokman tests their packs but I thought this test was fair.

Randy

P.S. I'll be using this system during the next couple of weeks in the field. So far, I've just run it locally on some small hikes.
Looking forward to getting it in the high country and put some red on the grey.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How is the comfort of the harness system so far? Even though the weight it pretty crazy, I could see this being a decent option for someone on a float trip where waterproof is higher on your list than light weight.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is the comfort of the harness system so far? Even though the weight it pretty crazy, I could see this being a decent option for someone on a float trip where waterproof is higher on your list than light weight.

Justin, so far so good. Very comfortable, lots of room for adjustment and it's easy to do. That all being said and as you know, once that magic 40 pound mark is passed, the varsity team shows up. I'll be packing mule deer in about a week so I will put it to the test.

Randy

Update. Late but but better than never. My buddy was running the complete system from Rokman and the main zipper didn’t make it all the way through the first day of archery season. It blew out and the pack was “stitched closed with paracord. Needless to say a lot more was expected for a pack system that cost north of $1500.

37db3eef00505b7333ee95ed0b3e140d.jpg

My buddy on the way to camp the night before opening day. Also the stitching holding the shoulder straps on the frame came out and he barely made it back to the truck before the broke off. What piece of shit!

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
As soon as I can figure out how to make my photos larger, I'll be able to complete my review on the Rokman system which I used for a couple of week long hunts this year.

Randy

ROKMAN

FNG
37db3eef00505b7333ee95ed0b3e140d.jpg

My buddy on the way to camp the night before opening day. Also the stitching holding the shoulder straps on the frame came out and he barely made it back to the truck before the broke off. What piece of shit!

ROKMAN here....If your buddy was not aware ROKMAN's warranty will replace any manufacture defects. Since this is a zipper failure we would be happy to warranty this and get your buddy a new pack. Have him reach out to us at [email protected] if he has any questions.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
ROKMAN here....If your buddy was not aware ROKMAN's warranty will replace any manufacture defects. Since this is a zipper failure we would be happy to warranty this and get your buddy a new pack. Have him reach out to us at [email protected] if he has any questions.

The final review of this system will be up shortly. Rokman is a stand up company and has a lifetime warranty on their products.

Randy