Rokslide Support Button(Paypal)

Curtis C

WKR
I know running this site can be costly so I get the request from those of us that utilize the resource. I would rather see a "Supporting Member" (similar to TBH.com) setup rather than a general donation. Its a minimal fee paid once a year. The supporting member gets a supporting member window decal, recognition near avatar, and their PM message limit doubled or tripled.

Thoughts?

gelton

WKR
Agreed. Feel like I'm at church with nothing to put in the offering tray :). When I first saw it I was viewing on my phone and thought "oh cool if we buy and sell things we don't have to ask for their pay pal information anymore because it's linked to the username" ha was I wrong. Great site, great content but needs a paid only section or something similar. Another way would be to find a way to capitalize on the classifieds re: sales etc but the one company they had doing it was a total distraction...gotta be a better way. My .02 :)

I must be blind and dumb. I do see where it indicates total contributions under the users name and information, but I'm not seeing this button viewing on my computer or Tapatalk.

edit: now I'm not even seeing the contributions.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I will gear it down, when you first load it, it loads everything!

This is mainly to keep the classified free. The classifieds sell over 2000 products a month. There are going to be issues when there are that many transactions and yours truly gets to deal with them.

We also want to have more gear reviews. It's cost to get the product and pay someone to write about the product.

We also want more non-hunting gear reviews(North Face, Outdoor Research, KUHL, Mountain Hardware, ETC) We will have to pay nearly full price for these products.

There is zero pressure. If you want to donate, donate. If you don't, don't.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, thanks for the input. Ryan and I have been talking about this for 6 months and decided this was the best route to offset climbing costs that keep popping up (server space, core PHP coder, FB advertising, accountants,increasing writers budget) We don't have enough content or manpower to start up a members only section. And that seems to take away from what got this site to where it's at now: free content that makes us all better hunters accessible to everyone. If we go to paid content then really all we are is a forum for everybody but content for only a few. Our writers budget is 3-4 times what it was a year ago and we're able to pay even some members for articles fairly regularly. This is a good thing that I want to continue. Anyway we don't want anyone to feel weird or obligated or "poor Robby/Ryan" at all. It's just a way for people who are in a position to help if they're feeling like it. Believe me, when I hear musicians on the street I don't feel bad not donating simply because I stopped for a few minutes and neither should anyone here.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I just made my contribution. This site has enabled me to go from knowing zip about western backpack hunting to killing an elk. I have a good deal of confidence I'll do it again this year. I've met great people here and look forward to many more years of enrichment of knowledge and friends.

I think we, as members, should make an unwritten rule of 1% of classifieds sales should be contributed directly to Rokslide by the seller. It doesnt sound like much, but with 2000 transactions a month, the money will add up fast. I joined this site a complete noob to backpacking and well, I am still a noob, but atleast I will look like I know what I am doing when people see me on the trail. haha I am completely outfitted now with some top notch gear based on what I have learned on here.

twall13

WKR
I think we, as members, should make an unwritten rule of 1% of classifieds sales should be contributed directly to Rokslide by the seller. It doesnt sound like much, but with 2000 transactions a month, the money will add up fast. I joined this site a complete noob to backpacking and well, I am still a noob, but atleast I will look like I know what I am doing when people see me on the trail. haha I am completely outfitted now with some top notch gear based on what I have learned on here.
I like that idea and now plan to do just that when I make a sale. I'd much rather 1% go to Rokslide than PayPal but I guess there is no way around the Paypal charge . This is far and away my favorite forum.

OP
Curtis C

Curtis C

WKR
I'd much rather 1% go to Rokslide than PayPal but I guess there is no way around the Paypal charge .

E Gift Cards from your favorite gear store is not only a way around it but it supports those that support us. Ive done several transactions that were paid via a Kifaru E Gift Card. KUIU, 1SHOT, REI, Midway and many others offer E Gift Cards.

Jimbob

WKR

Very cool idea. I come here for the free content because its free ha ha. Its cool that there is not pressure to support so do if you want or whatever. BUT if you are profiting from a sale that happens here at this site then man you should fell a little obligated to pitch in. If I sell anything then ya donation for sure. Heck if I buy something and save a bunch of cash I should throw some in as well.