Rolling Hard Case

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I want some more thoughts on this, I have a large hard case on rollers that I am debating what to do with. Its a very large case with rolling wheels, 3 handles, 6 latches, 6 locking points and a rubber seal. Really nice quality case. It needs a foam insert which I priced at $55 for a place in Michigan to cut. I don't think I'd ever actually NEED to use the case of this caliber though, I don't have plans of flying anywhere to hunt, but rather driving. I also don't see it practical for the range either. What would you do with it? faro1.JPGFaro2.JPG

Bottom foam dimensions will be 56x16x7" and lid is roughly 2.5" thick

bsnedeker

WKR
I have a similar case from pelican. I use it for flying and that's about it. It's to bulky fur day to day use. I'd sell it if you don't plan on flying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I might regret selling it, but I also might be boarder line hoarder with stuff like this..

bsnedeker

WKR
I feel like I might regret selling it, but I also might be boarder line hoarder with stuff like this..

I know the feeling! I've had a couple of unexpected moves in the last 5 years which has changed my philosophy pretty significantly. Nowadays if I go a year without using something I'm usually pretty happy to be rid of it. I'd rather buy it again if I ever need it than keep it in storage. I'm that way with just about everything except for tools.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I know the feeling! I've had a couple of unexpected moves in the last 5 years which has changed my philosophy pretty significantly. Nowadays if I go a year without using something I'm usually pretty happy to be rid of it. I'd rather buy it again if I ever need it than keep it in storage. I'm that way with just about everything except for tools.
Thats a good motto and the truth of it! I'm just about to graduate college and about to move so thats why I'm debating this. Although a sweet case I just stare at it in my room and it'll probably do the same at my next place.

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
Was in a similar situation recently. Been moving a large pelican case around my garage for years. Finally gave it away. Very well made and secure but ultimately it was too big and bulky. Likely weighed more than the gear I'd take to fly so it would cost too much. Had some indigestion over getting rid of it but it served no purpose so it got donated. I told myself to never accept it as a gift because id never use it haha. Turns out I was right.

WCB

WKR
I use mine all the time on out of state trips, and 90% of the time otherwise even if it just going to shoot at the range. 1st I always have a backup gun so easy solution put both in there. Next I put my range finder and a pair of binos in there...keeps them protected and my range finder goes with my rifles so I'm never looking for it in a bag or another case. They hard case stacks/packs a ton better than soft cases on out of state trips. I don't have to be careful with it and worry about someone throwing something on top of one of my soft case guns.

The states I hunt in do not require the gun to be cased so once I'm hunting my main gun in the cab basically wedged in the seat with me. The hard case has my extra gun in the box of the truck and is protected along with any extra binos ect. I will never travel with soft cased rifles again.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine for protection while travelling, save my main rifle from getting bounced around and such. It fits almost perfectly in the back of my F250 and I have devised a locking system for it that would discourage the average thief.

I hunt out of state (wyoming, arizona periodically) and I travel a lot to hunt in state so it gets used frequently. My backup rifle is an iron sited rifle so it doesnt need much care.

rayporter

WKR
if it aint eatin i would be a keepin.

even if i had to hide it in the attic.

but if you really, really need to get rid of it just send it to me,

Side note: A lot of traveling hunters will remove that foam so they can pad with their clothes, freeing up valuable travel space.

Good point above.

I say keep it. You can buy a Pelican brand set of foams for $50-60. That is all three layers. Cut it yourself. A $10 electric carving knife goes through it like butter. Or a hobby website will have that waffle foam stuff cheaper. I actually prefer the waffle foam style so I can use the case for multiple guns instead of the perfectly outlined pelican stuff.

rayporter

WKR
look around town, i bet you can find foam for it for 5 bucks. i got a bunch a 2 and 3 inch foam here from old cabin beds. probably dont have 40 bucks in it.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Good point above.

I say keep it. You can buy a Pelican brand set of foams for $50-60. That is all three layers. Cut it yourself. A $10 electric carving knife goes through it like butter. Or a hobby website will have that waffle foam stuff cheaper. I actually prefer the waffle foam style so I can use the case for multiple guns instead of the perfectly outlined pelican stuff.
A place in Michigan quoted me something like $60 for custom water jet cut foam back in August. This thread has made me even more indecisive 😅

rayporter

WKR
i bought a pair of 8x4 foot pieces in oklahoma city for 50$ for beds in the trailer 5 years ago. it was on the west side of town right on the south bound I 44 interstate. they had all kinds of foam and fabric. it might have had a new castle address, cant remember

Squirrels

WKR
Side note: A lot of traveling hunters will remove that foam so they can pad with their clothes, freeing up valuable travel space.

I have a Pelican Vault V730 I purchased last summer. We fly to Canada to waterfowl hunt frequently. My cheap Plano gave me anxiety so I ponied up. First thing I did was remove the foam. I layer it with clothes break down my shotgun and put it in then more clothes. Cuts down on baggage fees since it qualifies as a sporting goods item and they don't apply to the same dimensional restrictions.

A place in Michigan quoted me something like $60 for custom water jet cut foam back in August. This thread has made me even more indecisive 😅

Yeah...unless you are toting some super high dollar rifle rig, I just don’t think the custom cut stuff is worth it. I had one in the Army and it sucked because you had to hack at it every time you put a new thingy on your M4. The sniper rigs we had used them too. I made one for my first scoped gun and had to mod it when I changed to another rifle. Just not necessary IMO. I guess your scope can get bumped but I haven’t had an issue.

The clothes wrap thing works for me.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah...unless you are toting some super high dollar rifle rig, I just don’t think the custom cut stuff is worth it. I had one in the Army and it sucked because you had to hack at it every time you put a new thingy on your M4. The sniper rigs we had used them too. I made one for my first scoped gun and had to mod it when I changed to another rifle. Just not necessary IMO. I guess your scope can get bumped but I haven’t had an issue.

The clothes wrap thing works for me.
This case is deep enough I planned to lay long guns on edge not on their side as a traditional case would have them sit.

22lr

WKR
For what its worth, I keep a half dozen of the $10-15 hard cases for most of my rifles when we move. In the 5 times I have moved over the last 8 years, I have yet to suffer moving damage on any of my guns. I only have 1 rifle that I care about enough to put in a Pelican hard case, but it also lives in it (cant have my baby getting all banged up from the other rifles in my safe). Plus, it doubles as a safe when placed under the bed and its virtually theft proof as I remind myself whenever I try to get it out from under the bed everytime I go to the range...